Tried to simplify this.

>I study a sport extended lvl 3 diploma
>I want to join the police and will eventually regardless uni or not
>Sport degree then join police?
>Criminology then join police?
>I can get the ucas points for both
>University of Lincoln
>Don't necessarily need a degree but would like it
Criminology seems much more relevant if you want to join the police, but I'd go for whichever I thought is enjoy most if I was certain I'd get where I wanted to be even without a degree. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_criminology.htm - lists police officer as a directly related job. Maybe check how many criminology graduates join the police force? Even with a criminology degree, I know you'll need loads of experience and to undergo tests etc. to actually get in.
Reply 2
KJ.
OP
Original post by coffeeandcats
Criminology seems much more relevant if you want to join the police, but I'd go for whichever I thought is enjoy most if I was certain I'd get where I wanted to be even without a degree. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_criminology.htm - lists police officer as a directly related job. Maybe check how many criminology graduates join the police force? Even with a criminology degree, I know you'll need loads of experience and to undergo tests etc. to actually get in.

I know many do have an interest who do it. I am involved in the police currently but won't go into details (but it would/should support me alot). I'm just hoping that they don't think because I studied sport they see no relevance or whatever
Original post by KJ.
I know many do have an interest who do it. I am involved in the police currently but won't go into details (but it would/should support me alot). I'm just hoping that they don't think because I studied sport they see no relevance or whatever

Considering my uncle is in the police force with a History degree, I don't imagine that it'd matter too much.

If you're involved in the police currently, have you tried asking advice from them?
Reply 4
KJ.
OP
Original post by loperdoper
Considering my uncle is in the police force with a History degree, I don't imagine that it'd matter too much.

If you're involved in the police currently, have you tried asking advice from them?

Well they thought it would help alot obviously, more so than the sport one but made it clear it's not necessary
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
KJ.
OP
First & Last bump
Reply 6
You don't need any kind of degree to join the police, everybody starts in the same place anyway. You should do whichever is most interesting to you. You might find it easier to get into a Sport degree because of your qualifications, but if you talk about your interest in and work with the police in your PS that would work in your favour for a Criminology application.

If you didn't have to consider your past qualifications or future career, which degree of the two would you choose?
Reply 7
KJ.
OP
Original post by nerdcake
You don't need any kind of degree to join the police, everybody starts in the same place anyway. You should do whichever is most interesting to you. You might find it easier to get into a Sport degree because of your qualifications, but if you talk about your interest in and work with the police in your PS that would work in your favour for a Criminology application.

If you didn't have to consider your past qualifications or future career, which degree of the two would you choose?

Well, I just enjoy sport, I don't see a career in it, i'm just interested from enjoyment.
Whereas Police, I'm interested alot and I want a career in it.

I was going to do a sport degree, but realised criminology might interest me and benefit me more for my career (as it supports what i'm currently learning with the police)
Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by KJ.
Well, I just enjoy sport, I don't see a career in it, i'm just interested from enjoyment.
Whereas Police, I'm interested alot and I want a career in it.

I was going to do a sport degree, but realised criminology might interest me and benefit me more for my career (as it supports what i'm currently learning with the police)
Thanks

Well, if you genuinely enjoy Criminology as you've said (as opposed to just doing it for the career), I think you should go for that. But email the unis you're considering and check what they think about applicants with qualifications that aren't related to the subject. If you explain your experience as well I think you should be fine.

But don't let me take the decision for you!
Reply 9
KJ.
OP
Thankyou
Since when is Sunderland a 'respected' University :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending