The Student Room Group

Horrible housemates

I'm in 2nd year living in a house and it's not even been a two months yet and I want to leave. Honestly, the contract is the only reason why I haven't.

There's this one girl in particular who acts all sweet and innocent around everyone and I feel like I'm the only one who can see her for what she really is. She always is **** stirring behind my back and trying to turn the others against me, and because of the way she does it ( she's so sly and manipulative ) it works.
Every time someone has fallen out with me it's because of this girl and the person I'm talking to is like ' well she wouldn't hurt a fly.. '
At first I made an effort to really get on with this girl and thought everything was fine until people kept falling out with me and a pattern started to occur.
Recently it got so bad that i was basically isolated, and what's worse is everyone would act fine around me then as soon as I leave start bitching about me. A few times when I went to go and talk to some of my housemates I would get to the door and hear them bitching.
There's 4 of us, all girls. A few days ago this girl wasn't in and I heard the others talking about me, so I went in to confront it. And when I say bitching I mean about everything, my degree, where I come from you name it. It basically just got out of hand. After talking to them they apologised and realised they were wrong but I can just see this girl causing more issues.
She makes out I steal stuff, has sob stories about made up things and it's only at me. I have no idea why it's only aimed at me.
When I confront her it's always the most stupid excuses to why she moody with me and when I think it's sorted I find out it really isn't through bitchiness behind my back! I told her if she had a problem then confront me and stop bitching but as you can see that didn't work. Also been dead nice to her
.. Tried all I can think of without killing her.

I don't know what to do, I can't even be bothered to confront this girl anymore ( done it a few times now) do I just smile it off and wait for the year to end?
Sorry how long this was, really annoyed!
Original post by Taraxox
I'm in 2nd year living in a house and it's not even been a two months yet and I want to leave. Honestly, the contract is the only reason why I haven't.

There's this one girl in particular who acts all sweet and innocent around everyone and I feel like I'm the only one who can see her for what she really is. She always is **** stirring behind my back and trying to turn the others against me, and because of the way she does it ( she's so sly and manipulative ) it works.
Every time someone has fallen out with me it's because of this girl and the person I'm talking to is like ' well she wouldn't hurt a fly.. '
At first I made an effort to really get on with this girl and thought everything was fine until people kept falling out with me and a pattern started to occur.
Recently it got so bad that i was basically isolated, and what's worse is everyone would act fine around me then as soon as I leave start bitching about me. A few times when I went to go and talk to some of my housemates I would get to the door and hear them bitching.
There's 4 of us, all girls. A few days ago this girl wasn't in and I heard the others talking about me, so I went in to confront it. And when I say bitching I mean about everything, my degree, where I come from you name it. It basically just got out of hand. After talking to them they apologised and realised they were wrong but I can just see this girl causing more issues.
She makes out I steal stuff, has sob stories about made up things and it's only at me. I have no idea why it's only aimed at me.
When I confront her it's always the most stupid excuses to why she moody with me and when I think it's sorted I find out it really isn't through bitchiness behind my back! I told her if she had a problem then confront me and stop bitching but as you can see that didn't work. Also been dead nice to her
.. Tried all I can think of without killing her.

I don't know what to do, I can't even be bothered to confront this girl anymore ( done it a few times now) do I just smile it off and wait for the year to end?

I think you did right by confronting her, and your other friends several times- this has made them aware that you're aren't stupid, you know that stuff is being said behind your back, and you also got the others to see how wrong and petty this behaviour is, and then apologize! So for that, I think that was a wise thing to do. Usually people, including myself actually, try to avoid something as unpleasant as that.
You've given yourself the best possible advice you can: Smile it off, hope that it doesn't get any worse and just continue with your time at university. :smile:
Reply 2
If you're getting accused anyway, just sabotage their stuff as much as you want to. I remember my sister was getting picked on in her halls by 4 girls. So, I told her to record all of the evidence of their wrongdoing and racism, and I personally went over with some mates to basically get their male friends (a bunch of pussies really) to step the **** out of the way. These types of people just need to be hit hard to shut the **** up really. Oh, and when I told them I was going to send the evidence of their wrongdoings to the university , lets just say they were in hysterics. One of them is a competitive athlete at for the country, lets just say that I enjoy having that power over her.
Reply 3
Original post by Amy. J S
I think you did right by confronting her, and your other friends several times- this has made them aware that you're aren't stupid, you know that stuff is being said behind your back, and you also got the others to see how wrong and petty this behaviour is, and then apologize! So for that, I think that was a wise thing to do. Usually people, including myself actually, try to avoid something as unpleasant as that.
You've given yourself the best possible advice you can: Smile it off, hope that it doesn't get any worse and just continue with your time at university. :smile:

Yeah, I have dealt with a few bitches in the past but obviously never lived with any of them before which makes it ten times worse! Not sure if I should even make an effort with this girl anymore as every time I have to be the one to confront it when it's not me with the problem and it just goes around in circles.

Its just weird- like she would always pick issues with my boyfriend and whenever we went out as a group I basically spent all my time with her to keep her happy and then when she got a boyfriend it was almost like she was comparing. She always seems to copy me too which is weird if she has such a big issue with me. Someone pointed out that when ever she goes out without me compared to when I'm going out too she makes 50% more effort than when im not out with her. Sounds bizarre I know but I just don't understand any of it!

Think I'm just going to write it off as her being psycho..
Reply 4
Original post by Tom_Ford
If you're getting accused anyway, just sabotage their stuff as much as you want to. I remember my sister was getting picked on in her halls by 4 girls. So, I told her to record all of the evidence of their wrongdoing and racism, and I personally went over with some mates to basically get their male friends (a bunch of pussies really) to step the **** out of the way. These types of people just need to be hit hard to shut the **** up really. Oh, and when I told them I was going to send the evidence of their wrongdoings to the university , lets just say they were in hysterics. One of them is a competitive athlete at for the country, lets just say that I enjoy having that power over her.

Ahaa I loved reading this. Actually when this started I began to write down what she did/ what was being said so that if ever I had to defend myself I would be able to theoretically know exactly what has been done and not allow time/ distortion or someone trying to wiggle around the truth stop it.
Because I know people like this will try to deny it or twist things, so I guess it's security - if only to know that I'm not insane
Reply 5
Original post by Taraxox
Ahaa I loved reading this. Actually when this started I began to write down what she did/ what was being said so that if ever I had to defend myself I would be able to theoretically know exactly what has been done and not allow time/ distortion or someone trying to wiggle around the truth stop it.
Because I know people like this will try to deny it or twist things, so I guess it's security - if only to know that I'm not insane

I got my sister to take some photos and record whatever audio evidence was required. And also, they stupidly left big trails on social media anyway so it was not exactly difficult to step on them :rolleyes: .
When I went to a new school - my first boarding school - I was roomed with a homosexual couple who did everything they could to make my life hell so that I would leave the school and they could have the dorm back to themselves. Very nasty business.

Sadly, they'd already been around for years before me, so when it came to my word against theirs, it just made things even worse. They made up massive lies, even turned teachers against me, and finally I realised that it just wasn't worth the grief. I withdrew out of the school just over a term later.

So yes, stand your ground, you were right to confront them, and luckily at university you're all new so you don't have the problem of prior reputation - everyone's fresh. But it's also important to know when to stop fighting, because some things just aren't worth the stress.
Reply 7
Original post by Taraxox
do I just smile it off and wait for the year to end?

heya. i had the same problem as you. so i went out, popped by an agent's office, told the agent my budget and requirements such as facilities/distance to uni, viewed a few apartments and then decided on one. i'm pretty happy being along without the thefts, the mess left behind my others, the vomit from hangovers, loud lovemaking at insane hours of the night and so much more.

if i were you, move out and do it now and alone. don't take the chance since you're in your second year. take the plunge, prepare well for your exams and ace it.
Reply 8
Sadly I have already looked into this and because of my letting agreement I would loose a lot of money and have to get someone else to take my room or have to continue paying the rent instalments :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Taraxox
Sadly I have already looked into this and because of my letting agreement I would loose a lot of money and have to get someone else to take my room or have to continue paying the rent instalments :frown:

have you tried speaking to the university? im sure someone from there can help me.
If there is a lettings agency kind of service run by your university , talk to them.they can advertise your room for 50-60 pounds . you may also be charged by your own lettings agency for them having to change the contract.then you can move out. You should still be able to find another house at this stage ( depens on where you are )
Reply 11
Haven't asked about the advertising thing but did mention my situation and best case scenario I would have to pay £435 and loose my deposit and thats if I get someone to want my room before the next rent is due :/ so just going to try and grin and bare it for now and hope that this year goes fast!
This is why you never live in a flat with just girls
I understand completely how you feel about that, although sadly this year I'm living with my annoying ex boyfriend who unfortunately is on a course similar to mine, is friends with all my friends, living in the same flat as me and who is basically in my face 24/7. When me, my ex boyfriend and three of our friends all decided to live together in september 2014 (the start of my second year), it all seemed well.

Half way through the summer, we broke up and I realised that there would be no point in hating one another because we'll have to live together in a flat in our second year. The first couple of weeks of living together I didn't handle it too well because deep down I hated him for how he treated me on the night of the break up. Since then, I've been happily single and he's also been single however, he's tried it on with nearly all of my girl friends (including the one in my flat!) which I personally think its awkward, but to him he acts completely oblivious to it all and that it's perfectly normal.

Last year when I lived in Victoria Halls, I didn't get on with my flat mates there either. I was flat mates with one girl and two other guys. The one girl never spoke to me and would always go off with her own clique of friends, one of the guys would always be in his room and the other guy would never be in, so technically I was always on my own in my room. It was like this for at least three months until I met my friends who lived in the halls across the road and from then on, I was always over there. There was one incident where me, and the rest of the tenants in the flat almost got fined because one of the guys was smoking weed in the flat. I almost got charged for this when I don't even smoke!
When I first moved in, I even suggested going to reception to see if they could locate me to another room because I was unhappy with the social side of the flat. I'd moved from Cheltenham up to Liverpool and I didn't know anybody so obviously I felt quite isolated and the girl who I lived with knew I was alone but never offered to hang out with me. Towards the end of my tenancy, I couldn't wait to leave and now I'm so glad I'm away from it.
(sorry for this being so long!)
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
This is why you never live in a flat with just girls

Was going to say just this! So glad I live with guys. (Kind of. Marginally better)

Or people you don't know and expect wonders lol. We have a resident scrounger, noisy, waster druggie. Since I didn't know them that well I just accept it and silently fume in my room lol.
Original post by Inazuma
Was going to say just this! So glad I live with guys. (Kind of. Marginally better)

Or people you don't know and expect wonders lol. We have a resident scrounger, noisy, waster druggie. Since I didn't know them that well I just accept it and silently fume in my room lol.

Haha, I just think with guys as a medium girls get along so much better

Wow that doesn't sound too good! I really hope I have good flats mates :h:
Ugh I don't know why people would ever choose to be lumbered with a load of random strangers whom nobody has any idea about the temperament of any of them , my only advice is to stick it out and ignore them.

Quick Reply

Latest