The Student Room Group

How many hours of teaching do you get per subject?

How many hours per HL and how many per Sl and how many for ToK?

and are you happy with the level of teaching? Apparently it is very much teach to the test, as there is so little time to get through the syllabus?
Reply 1
Original post by cheeriosarenice
How many hours per HL and how many per Sl and how many for ToK?

and are you happy with the level of teaching? Apparently it is very much teach to the test, as there is so little time to get through the syllabus?

240 Hours for higher level subjects and 150 hours for standard level subjects. The IBO hasn't specified how many hours should be spent teaching TOK so it depends from school to school, I personally have one TOK lesson in Week A and 2 TOK lessons in Week B.

Majority of my teachers are well versed and experienced in teaching their subject so I've got nothing to worry about in that aspect. Depends tbh, some of my teachers are going at a really quick pace (maths, biology, psychology) where as others are going at a relatively slow pace (spanish, economics). However, I wouldn't explicitly say that there isn't enough time to get through the syllabus, I think they're is in enough time but IA's (internal assessments - coursework) take up a lot of time which makes it seem like there isn't enough time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I have 4.5 hours a week for each HL, 3 hours a week for each SL, and 1.5 hours a week for TOK. I think this is a decent amount, any more and our schedules would be ridiculously full, any less and there wouldn't be enough time to get through the syllabus.
Original post by Neverme
I have 4.5 hours a week for each HL, 3 hours a week for each SL, and 1.5 hours a week for TOK. I think this is a decent amount, any more and our schedules would be ridiculously full, any less and there wouldn't be enough time to get through the syllabus.

The college I'm looking at does 3.45 hours for HL, and 2.45 for SL, and 1 hour for Tok.

How much studying do you do per day/night? Do you have any study periods suring the day, is there enough time to do enrichments, sports etc and work part time?
Reply 4
The college I'm looking at does 3.45 hours for HL, and 2.45 for SL, and 1 hour for Tok.

How much studying do you do per day/night? Do you have any study periods suring the day, is there enough time to do enrichments, sports etc and work part time?

That sounds like it would be fine :smile: Yes, it depends on the day. For example, on Monday I have class from 8:15 to 5:05 with only one study period, while on Thursday I have only three lessons and five study periods! I try to get as much as I can done in school.
It really depends on what's going on at the moment. Right now, I have a ridiculous amount of IA work to do, so I'm mostly focusing on that. Since it's the holidays, I'm aiming to do around 5-6 hours' work per day. During term time I probably only do about an hour a night.
Unfortunately I'm not one of those people who revises regularly, I tend to leave it until exams come around and then spend a crazy amount of time studying.
I'd say the trickiest thing about my schedule is finding time for extracurriculars. I finish at 5:05 two days a week, 4:15 two days a week, and 3:20 one day a week, so it can be tricky to schedule in music lessons/sports/volunteering etc for after school. But you always have the weekends and holidays, of course! :smile:
Original post by Neverme
That sounds like it would be fine :smile: Yes, it depends on the day. For example, on Monday I have class from 8:15 to 5:05 with only one study period, while on Thursday I have only three lessons and five study periods! I try to get as much as I can done in school.
It really depends on what's going on at the moment. Right now, I have a ridiculous amount of IA work to do, so I'm mostly focusing on that. Since it's the holidays, I'm aiming to do around 5-6 hours' work per day. During term time I probably only do about an hour a night.
Unfortunately I'm not one of those people who revises regularly, I tend to leave it until exams come around and then spend a crazy amount of time studying.
I'd say the trickiest thing about my schedule is finding time for extracurriculars. I finish at 5:05 two days a week, 4:15 two days a week, and 3:20 one day a week, so it can be tricky to schedule in music lessons/sports/volunteering etc for after school. But you always have the weekends and holidays, of course! :smile:

Are you taught in the inquiry led approach? Apparently the college is very much teach to the test..
How many points do you think you'll get? Apparently you need to do 4 hours per night to get 45.
Reply 6
Are you taught in the inquiry led approach? Apparently the college is very much teach to the test..
How many points do you think you'll get? Apparently you need to do 4 hours per night to get 45.

I've never heard the term 'inquiry led approach'. My school is very academic and so, of course, teaches to prepare us for the exam. However, due to the nature of the IB, this isn't merely forcing knowledge down our throats. To do well, you have to be innovative, a critical and original thinker, and understand concepts as well as just memorising.
I'm predicted 45. That may be true for some people, but of course it varies a lot depending on what kind of learner you are and what subjects you take. As I said, some days I work more than 4 hours, other days I work none at all. It all depends on what's going on and how I'm feeling.
There is no formula to get a 45, saying 'you need to do 4 hours per night to get 45' is far too simplistic. I know someone who doesn't work that much, yet is extremely bright and is predicted a 44. Similarly, I know someone else who works a lot but is predicted around 30.
If you are a good student, chose subjects you are good at and enjoy, and work hard, you will do well :smile:
Reply 7
4h per week for each HL/SL subject and 1h20min for TOK per week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending