The Student Room Group

law or geography?

Heyy guys so I need some help, I am currently in my second year of college and I am doing geography spanish and an English literature a level and I am doing the extended qualification project and have been predicted 3b's which I am not happy about. I have no idea whether I should apply for law or geography at university I really want to do law but every university I have looked at require very high grades and it seems that geography is my only option if I want to go to a decent university. Do you guys think I have no chance of getting a place at a good university doing law and should just stick to geography or do I have a chance. Also if I do apply for law can I go for universities that require aab due to the fact I am doing an epq project and the fact that I am aiming to do better than my predicted grades, could you recommend any good universities.
Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckk18

Do Geography at the best University you can get into. Get a 2.1 or a first, then do the GDL etc. Doing a Law degree at a low end university will probably not get you as far in a law career.
Reply 2
I mirror the above. The only point worth considering is that you will not receive any Student Finance for the GDL and so you will have to find some way of funding that.
Original post by ckk18
Heyy guys so I need some help, I am currently in my second year of college and I am doing geography spanish and an English literature a level and I am doing the extended qualification project and have been predicted 3b's which I am not happy about. I have no idea whether I should apply for law or geography at university I really want to do law but every university I have looked at require very high grades and it seems that geography is my only option if I want to go to a decent university. Do you guys think I have no chance of getting a place at a good university doing law and should just stick to geography or do I have a chance. Also if I do apply for law can I go for universities that require aab due to the fact I am doing an epq project and the fact that I am aiming to do better than my predicted grades, could you recommend any good universities.
Thank you in advance

I would say Law. I'm doing law and its very interesting (a lot of work tho). My uni required me to get AAB-ABB. I got A*CC and I got in.

Westminster will take you and its ok uni.
People always recommend not doing law at Uni level, mainly because it's so narrow. I'd suggest the same as above. Plus, training post-degree only takes a year longer than doing a law degree.
Original post by Maliha Ahmed
I would say Law. I'm doing law and its very interesting (a lot of work tho). My uni required me to get AAB-ABB. I got A*CC and I got in.

Taking law isnt the hard bit...try and find a job or even one that pays well is the problem.

Fact
Original post by ilandboi
Taking law isnt the hard bit...try and find a job or even one that pays well is the problem.

Fact

lol yeah. I absolutely agree.
If you can get onto a better University with Geography then go with that. For law you really want to be looking at a very good University (Durham, SOAS, Kings, Exeter, UCL etc) to be in with a chance at getting a job at a law firm.
Original post by vimto39
I mirror the above. The only point worth considering is that you will not receive any Student Finance for the GDL and so you will have to find some way of funding that.

Professional development loan from the bank ?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maliha Ahmed

What uni you studying at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
What uni you studying at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brunel
Not everyone who studies Law wants to be a Lawyer.
Original post by Da Di Doo
Not everyone who studies Law wants to be a Lawyer.

Hmm okay..keep telling yourself that:wink:

Lol darling.

I'm going to take Law and end up as an IB. Same hours but a heck of a lot more money.
Reply 14

It's true though. Most do, but not everyone.

Lol darling.

I'm going to take Law and end up as an IB. Same hours but a heck of a lot more money.

Oh you are up for a big disappointment if you go on with that mentality.
Lol darling.

Mega competitive though. IB firms pretty much look no further than Oxbridge and LSE for the most part.

Good luck.
Depends. Are you smart or do you like colouring in maps?
Lol darling.

I thought you wanted to be a Barrister, or failing that a Solicitor?
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Mega competitive though. IB firms pretty much look no further than Oxbridge and LSE for the most part.

Good luck.

There are 6 target Unis, I intend to go to one of them.

Thank you though :smile:

Original post by *Stefan*
It's true though. Most do, but not everyone.

Oh you are up for a big disappointment if you go on with that mentality.

Whether you believe it or not but I am genuinely interested in finance, the good money is a bonus (no pun intended).
Lol darling.

Hours are a bit worse. Of my housemates 2 of us are lawyers and 2 work at BBs and they get more continuously beasted. Compared to my housemate at Slaughters it's significant, less so for me (US). Why do Law though? Loads of my uni mates with total doss degees (HoA, Land Econ etc.) are IBs.

OP- I'd do Geog at somewhere like Manchester or Birmingham and convert if you do want to be a lawyer.

Quick Reply

Latest