The Student Room Group

How effective was Goebbels anti-semitic propaganda?

I would like to know how much Goebbels anti-semitic films such as Jud Suss and Der Ewige Jude contributed to the anti-semitic feeling in Germany. Is the role of these films overstated?
(edited 9 years ago)
I would say so. The general effect of demoralizing normative people towards a staunch anti-semitic bias was already in place via coercion of the secret police and constant rhetoric within Nazi Germany; add in the fact that religion was used quite significantly to play on the idea of Christ killer's etc etc
Reply 2
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I would say so. The general effect of demoralizing normative people towards a staunch anti-semitic bias was already in place via coercion of the secret police and constant rhetoric within Nazi Germany; add in the fact that religion was used quite significantly to play on the idea of Christ killer's etc etc

And the idea that the working classes found anti-Semitism repugnant and that it was mainly a bourgeoise system has been proven a complete lie by Soviet archives, while anti-Semitism may not have been the main fact there is a lot of evidence to suggest that ordinary people were complicit with the treatment of the Jews (although it would be a jump to say they knew of the extent), at least enough not to care about it anyway.
Reply 3
Anti-Semitism wasn't a German-exclusive prejudice, unfortunately. It was far more widespread than merely Nazi propaganda and Goebbels' efforts.
Reply 4
Original post by Mackay
Anti-Semitism wasn't a German-exclusive prejudice, unfortunately. It was far more widespread than merely Nazi propaganda and Goebbels' efforts.

Still is. Shockingly bad in France i've heard.
Original post by DErasmus
Still is. Shockingly bad in France i've heard.

It was a pan European issue.

Goebbells managed to tap into it.

The same thing happens. It's called wedge politics.
Anti-Semitism was already rife in Germany and central Europe prior to the propaganda films. All Goebbels did was to exploit and exacerbate any underlying tensions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending