The Student Room Group

What are the toughest (AS level) topics of Physics, Bio and Chemistry?

I started AS in September, and I just wanted to know what the hardest topics we're going to study this year are. :smile:
Anyone who took sciences at AS?
Depends on the kind of person you are.
In Biology (OCR), we learnt Biological Molecules first as it was apparently the hardest, but I found Cells pretty tricky because of the level of detail you had to remember. Also, plant transpiration and things was difficult because it was so damn boring.
And I found all of Physics (OCR) hard, but all of Unit two was quite difficult as we had to learn it so damn fast.

But like I said, it depends on who you are and where your weaknesses lie.
Biology easiest.
Physics/Chemistry hardest depending on your strengths.
Reply 3
I started off doing all three, but I swapped physics for maths in the third or fourth week. Personally, though I feel like most people will say biology is the easiest, it actually isn't. There is SO much content to learn, but having said that, I'm actually finding it quite interesting. Some of the topics in Chemistry are difficult so far, but you can find all of the help needed in your textbook. I can't comment any further on physics, so all I can say is I found some of the topics in the first few weeks like a continuation of GCSE, others ridiculously difficult!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the answers! Btw I wanted to know the hardest topics OF each subject, not the hardest subjects...:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm doing it right now. So far Chemistry has been ok although i've had to do some extra reading to make sure I fully understand things. I know though that its going to get even harder soon. Biology is ok - I think for the most part it is easy to understand but the only problem is that theres a lot to revise which may trip some people.
When I did AS Chemistry when I stumbled upon the organic side particularly in unit 2 I found that trickier to grasp than other topics, however when doing A2 organic it was much easier.
Reply 7
For bio:
- Remembering all the details
- Plant biology (xylem, phloem, root pathways, Transpiration)
- Biological molecules ( pretty easy if you're good at chem)

For chem:
A lot of it is hard since it is quite a jump from gcse, unlike bio:
- Group 2 / group 7 ( basically the inorganic bit since so many reactions and color changes etc to remember.)
- Hess law ( this and enthalpy -some people found it hard in my class)
- Organic reaction mechanisms (first time you might come across this topic so people find it hard)

For Physics:
- Waves (standing waves, resonance etc)
- Projectile motion ( many people werent good at this since they lacked good trig skills)

that's all the things i could think of that people in my classes generally found tricky.
Reply 8
please tell the hardest topics of each subjects

Quick Reply

Latest