The Student Room Group

Question about CIE's IGCSE

Is it true that the CIE's IGCSE is similar to the old UK system's O-level in regards to the content and rigour?

Also, in the old UK system, what qualification did they do before the O-level and is there anything similar to it today?
Reply 1
Original post by Lockie123
Also, in the old UK system, what qualification did they do before the O-level and is there anything similar to it today?

Before O levels there was a thing called School certificate. I have some of my grandmother's old papers.

Here are a couple of bits:

French
Write an essay in French (about 250 words) on
En France le patrimoine est divisé à la mort du père entre tous les enfants. En Angleterre le droit d'aînesse existe encore. Discuter les avantages et les désavantages de chaque système.

I don't think they had any prior warning of the subject.

Algebra
A sum of money invested at simple interest would amount to £3200 in 25 years. If the sum were £100 less and invested at simple interest at the same rate it would amount to £3300 in 30 years. Find the rate of interest.

Arithmetic (Obviously, no calculators allowed)
Find the cost of 8 acres 3 roods 15 poles of land at £7. 14s 8d per acre.

determine which is the greater of 472/497 and 18/19.
I think they got more simpliar now due to internet and questions laid out better
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Before O levels there was a thing called School certificate. I have some of my grandmother's old papers.

Here are a couple of bits:

French
Write an essay in French (about 250 words) on
En France le patrimoine est divisé à la mort du père entre tous les enfants. En Angleterre le droit d'aînesse existe encore. Discuter les avantages et les désavantages de chaque système.

I don't think they had any prior warning of the subject.

Algebra
A sum of money invested at simple interest would amount to £3200 in 25 years. If the sum were £100 less and invested at simple interest at the same rate it would amount to £3300 in 30 years. Find the rate of interest.

Arithmetic (Obviously, no calculators allowed)
Find the cost of 8 acres 3 roods 15 poles of land at £7. 14s 8d per acre.

determine which is the greater of 472/497 and 18/19.

So did they go from School Certificate -> O levels -> A levels?
O Level isn't A Level, O Level is in the middle of ALevel and GCSE so...

School Certificate -> O Level -> IGCSE Edexcel/CIE
Reply 5
Original post by ckfeister
O Level isn't A Level, O Level is in the middle of ALevel and GCSE so...

School Certificate -> O Level -> IGCSE Edexcel/CIE

I thought O level was the equivalent of the GCSE in the old UK system?
There was 2 types.

GCE - Foundation (L1)
O Level - Higher Tier (L2)
A Level - Little jump from O Level (L3)

If you think about it... modern times its....

GCSE (L1/2)
IGCSE (L1/2)
A Level (L3)

Small gap between IGCSE's and A-Level but being reformed.
Reply 7
Original post by ckfeister
There was 2 types.

GCE - Foundation (L1)
O Level - Higher Tier (L2)
A Level - Little jump from O Level (L3)

If you think about it... modern times its....

GCSE (L1/2)
IGCSE (L1/2)
A Level (L3)

Small gap between IGCSE's and A-Level but being reformed.

Thank you for clearing that up! :smile:
Reply 8
I did IGCSE with CIE for all my subjects.

CIE still has O-levels and some countries such as Singapore still takes it.
CIE IGCSE are 'harder' in maths and sciences, as in there's lots more contents to cover than normal GCSE. Also foreign languages exams are a bit harder due to the extended writing paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So did they go from School Certificate -> O levels -> A levels?

School certificate was replaced by O levels which were replaced by GCSEs. IGCSEs are officially equivalent to GCSEs. They are all aimed at 16 year olds. In some cases IGCSEs can be more challenging than GCSEs, but this is not always the case.

A levels have been around since the latter days of school certificate and are designed to be taken 2 years later, at 18.
Reply 10
Original post by C0balt
I did IGCSE with CIE for all my subjects.

CIE still has O-levels and some countries such as Singapore still takes it.
CIE IGCSE are 'harder' in maths and sciences, as in there's lots more contents to cover than normal GCSE. Also foreign languages exams are a bit harder due to the extended writing paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With IGCSE chemistry, how much does it focus on calculations?
Reply 11

Not too much at this level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by C0balt
Not too much at this level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Not a lot that I can remember, they are always good marks though so its handy to learn our equations, I'm pretty sure they do the generic questions. They don't really over complicate things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by FreshGarbage
Not a lot that I can remember, they are always good marks though so its handy to learn our equations, I'm pretty sure they do the generic questions. They don't really over complicate things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel that high school chemistry prepares students for university chemistry at all then?
Do you feel that high school chemistry prepares students for university chemistry at all then?

I only ever took it at GCSE and a level, not uni. I found GCSE is very relevant in a level so I presume the same for uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest