The Student Room Group

Is there homework when doing Mathematics in UK?

As you might or might not be aware, in the US and Canada we're getting brutalized by weekly homework in all of our university mathematics courses. So I was just wondering whether it was the same in the UK. Do you guys get homework? If so, how much and how does it count towards the final grade?

I'm particularly interested in how things work at Oxbridge, Imperial and other better reputed programs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
At Warwick, yes you get homework. It does take a lot of time. Some of it counts for credit, but usually only a small percentage of the final mark for the module (this is mainly to encourage you to actually do it).

Other universities are likely to be similar, although some may have none of the homework counting for credit.
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
At Warwick, yes you get homework. It does take a lot of time. Some of it counts for credit, but usually only a small percentage of the final mark for the module (this is mainly to encourage you to actually do it).
So how much time would you say you spend on homework weekly? And what percentage of the final grade would it be (if there's range, just list that)?
Reply 3
Original post by Ryker
So how much time would you say you spend on homework weekly? And what percentage of the final grade would it be (if there's range, just list that)?

20-30 hours a week on the homework, and it accounts for 0%.
Reply 4
Original post by Noble.
20-30 hours a week on the homework, and it accounts for 0%.
Is it required to submit it then? I know it's good practice, although too much, in my opinion, actually interferes with learning.

And I take it from your location that you're doing your degree at Oxford, right?
Reply 5
Original post by Ryker

I can't remember how much time I spent on it (I graduated just over a year ago). If it counts for credit then it would typically be 10-15% of the module for all homeworks in total, but there are exceptions. Generally the further you go during the degree course the fewer homeworks count for credit. If a homework doesn't count for credit then this usually means you don't have to submit it.

Quick Reply

Latest