The Student Room Group

Help for uni Application (ENGLISH)

Hi a friend of mine is a british national but did her Cambridge International Examination IGCSE abroad for English, she had given the exam of English as a Second Language (0511) the grade she received for this subject was an A. She is in AS level right now. She is planning to go back to UK and do medical in London however when she looked at the university requirements they asked for English with a grade B. Does this mean the English exams given in UK (as they are much trickier than the one she gave)?
If yes, does she need to give another IGCSE English exam as the exam she gave was easy compared to UK standard or does she have to give an English entry test for university or will the Universities not mind as she is a british national?
She was also wondering if she should take IELTS but those are mostly for foreigners right?

Thank u in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
Is English her first language? If not, she needs to take IELTS. The score requirements for the medical schools will be available on the websites. If English is her first language, why did she take English as a Second Language at GCSE? She should definitely take the English Language GCSE for first language students.
Reply 2
Original post by nerdcake
Is English her first language? If not, she needs to take IELTS. The score requirements for the medical schools will be available on the websites. If English is her first language, why did she take English as a Second Language at GCSE? She should definitely take the English Language GCSE for first language students.

Yes english is her first language her school did not offer English as a first language. So should she do an English as a first language exam
Reply 3
Original post by Sidz_12
Yes english is her first language her school did not offer English as a first language. So should she do an English as a first language exam

Check with the medical schools, but I would think she has to take the first language exam.
Reply 4
Original post by nerdcake
Check with the medical schools, but I would think she has to take the first language exam.

Thank u :smile:
she checked most and they said u need an english with atleast grade B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending