The Student Room Group

Any Access Science mature students applying for Chemistry?

Any Access to HE Science mature students applying for Chemistry Sept 15 entry?

Just wondering if you thought the access course would prepare you enough and what universities you were applying for as I am the only person on my course applying for Chem so can't discuss it with anyone.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hiya

I'm applying for Chemistry at Reading, Surrey & Kingston. I certainly don't feel that the access course alone will be preparation enough so I have raided the local library for books that have any relevance to the modules listed at each uni so hopefully I will have a little working knowledge to start with. Give me a shout if you want a chat :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lovali
Hiya

I'm applying for Chemistry at Reading, Surrey & Kingston. I certainly don't feel that the access course alone will be preparation enough so I have raided the local library for books that have any relevance to the modules listed at each uni so hopefully I will have a little working knowledge to start with. Give me a shout if you want a chat :smile:

Hello again,

thanks for responding, was getting a bit lonely haha!

I was very concerned originally about whether the access course would cover enough content to allow me to be comfortable when I start uni. I spoke to one of the chemistry admissions tutors and asked if they could recommend any preliminary reading I could do in preparation for the degree and they advised against it. They said I would only confuse myself and that, because the first year doesnt count towards your final grade, they spend the whole of the first year getting everybody up to the same standard. Apparently there is some differences in the content between Alevel exam boards as well so that was a relief!

I will probably still make sure I am up to scratch with alevel stuff anyhow!

I am sending my application off next week. Let me know how you get on with yours :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Laur_pea
Hello again,

thanks for responding, was getting a bit lonely haha!

I was very concerned originally about whether the access course would cover enough content to allow me to be comfortable when I start uni. I spoke to one of the chemistry admissions tutors and asked if they could recommend any preliminary reading I could do in preparation for the degree and they advised against it. They said I would only confuse myself and that, because the first year doesnt count towards your final grade, they spend the whole of the first year getting everybody up to the same standard. Apparently there is some differences in the content between Alevel exam boards as well so that was a relief!

I will probably still make sure I am up to scratch with alevel stuff anyhow!

I am sending my application off next week. Let me know how you get on with yours :smile:

I've been holding my application off as I've managed to secure a lab placement starting next week & thought it might be a good thing to add to my ps. I'm also still waiting on my copy GCSE results, had to order them as they went walkies years ago & I remember how many As,Bs etc I got in total but not which grades were related to which subjects.

The one thing I'm really hoping to get out of reading ahead is familiarity with some of the terminology cos I know it's something I sometimes struggle with.

Where have you applied to?
Reply 4
Original post by lovali
I've been holding my application off as I've managed to secure a lab placement starting next week & thought it might be a good thing to add to my ps. I'm also still waiting on my copy GCSE results, had to order them as they went walkies years ago & I remember how many As,Bs etc I got in total but not which grades were related to which subjects.

The one thing I'm really hoping to get out of reading ahead is familiarity with some of the terminology cos I know it's something I sometimes struggle with.

Where have you applied to?

Yeah that's a good idea, u never seem to have time to do anything other than my assignments at the moment lol

I am applying to Cardiff, plymouth, reading, bristol and bath cz they are not too far from me.
That's really good about your placement you should defo put it on your PS, I'll let you know if I get any responses as I'm sending mine next week eek!
Reply 5
Good luck with the apps!

Honestly the only reason I have time is because I've forgotten the luxury of sleep lol between work, college, kids, dogs, home & planning my wedding for next summer I've learned that caffeine has replaced the duvet as my best friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending