The Student Room Group

Why aren't people encouraged to go to the dentist?

Having resided in several countries has made me realise that the English aren't too bothered about going to the dentists or even going in for regular check-ups. In the Netherlands it is compulsory to visit the dentist at least once every 6 months why don't we have a similar program in the UK?

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

I've not been for at least 6 years.
Reply 2
They're my teeth, and I can ruin them and the eyesight of anyone who looks at them if I want to!
I don't like going. Plus I don't knwo whether it would cost me money or not now. If I get tooth ache I will go to a dentist. Plus dentists are financially motivated to get you to have regular checkups etc. My mum's teeth were wrecked with all the unnecessary fillings she was given as a child so her distrust of dentists has unavoidably rubbed off on me a bit. Although I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as they used to be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't like going. Plus I don't knwo whether it would cost me money or not now.

It would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well there you go. I'm poor. Poor people are more likely to not want to pay for health care where possible. A model endorsement for privatization right there.
I go to the dentist around twice a year and I pay. Even though I'm nearing broke. I just see going to the dentist as important. Due to a lack of dental hygeine when my mum was younger, she has significant gum and dental problems that prevent her eating properly.

I have a friend who hasn't gone since she was like ten though but I wouldn't risk it. I kind of like having teeth.
I have a couple of check ups a year and they are always free.
I've been going twice a year since I was young, and my teeth are near perfect (bar a bit of plaque here and there, and slight decay in one of my upper molars).

To echo what someone else said, I like having teeth.
Original post by Black Cat
Having resided in several countries has made me realise that the English aren't too bothered about going to the dentists or even going in for regular check-ups. In the Netherlands it is compulsory to visit the dentist at least once every 6 months why don't we have a similar program in the UK?

Discuss

Every time I go they're like "yeah, your teeth are fine, that'll be £20, come back in 6 months". I don't think so skippy, see you in a couple of years.
I just don't like going because of fear that I'll have to have fillings put in.:redface:
Reply 11
Original post by MancStudent098
Every time I go they're like "yeah, your teeth are fine, that'll be £20, come back in 6 months". I don't think so skippy, see you in a couple of years.

Teeth can easily become damaged and dirty, you should definitely go every 6 months even if your teeth look fine.
I haven't been in 13 years and my teeth are fine. Got an electric toothbrush, use mouthwash, never had so much as a twinge of toothache. If I ever have a problem with them then I'll go.
Dentists are torturers!
Reply 14
Cos it hurts and it costs **** loads of money every time.
I've probably only been twice in my entire life and I have better looking teeth than most people I know.

It's far from necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I've probably only been twice in my entire life and I have better looking teeth than most people I know.

It's far from necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't mean they're healthy, neither does it mean they will remain healthy as you move past the grand old age of 20

Go to the dentist you gross ****ers
Reply 17
Compulsory? :s-smilie: What do they do if you don't go?

£20 for 15 minutes is expensive, especially as generally nothing's the matter and you feel you could do the same as them if you had the tools. I mean, I can count how many teeth I have, and if I had that thing that made the whizzing noise I could do a better job in front of the mirror instead of lying down with drool having to be sucked out of my mouth. I do go every six months (apart from after moving, I generally put off registering for a few months after I should go to get them checked as it's needlessly fussy), but it does feel like a waste of money,
I went every six months until I had to pay. I'll go when I have toothache. I brush twice a day without fail, properly, and don't eat sweets or anything anyway.

When I was younger I was told I needed a filling but because I wanted white ones that you had to pay for at the time I said I'd leave it until next time. Come next time, it was never mentioned, and 10 years later that tooth doesn't pose even the slightest issue. So it made me wonder how much of the work that's done is even needed at all.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I went every six months until I had to pay. I'll go when I have toothache. I brush twice a day without fail, properly, and don't eat sweets or anything anyway.

When I was younger I was told I needed a filling but because I wanted white ones that you had to pay for at the time I said I'd leave it until next time. Come next time, it was never mentioned, and 10 years later that tooth doesn't pose even the slightest issue. So it made me wonder how much of the work that's done is even needed at all.

Even if you aren't paying the dentists still makes money whenever they give you a filling etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending