The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship or Sixth form

I'm currently studying my a-levels but I feel like an apprenticeship would be better for me because it's hands on experience and I'd be getting paid. However, would I be able to study education at Uni with an apprenticeship? Or are there other routes into education?

I'm in the North East of England if that makes a difference.
I think you would need higher education qualifications (A Levels/IB/Btecs... Etc)

You could do a one year apprentice and then study A Levels before heading off to Uni or study your A Levels first, take a gap year (where you do a one year apprentice) and then go to Uni.
Honestly, Good apprenticeships require good A levels so I think you should finish your A levels then consider an apprenticeship of a higher calibre.
Reply 3
Original post by aimeejacques
I'm currently studying my a-levels but I feel like an apprenticeship would be better for me because it's hands on experience and I'd be getting paid. However, would I be able to study education at Uni with an apprenticeship? Or are there other routes into education?

I'm in the North East of England if that makes a difference.

It's pretty unanimous that Apprenticeships are best used as an alternative to University, and seeing as you need A Levels to go far in both of the options; it's best to continue the A Levels for now.

Another thing to consider is whether you would have enough time to do an apprenticeship alongside a degree. Although apprenticeships are designed to be flexible; it's pretty likely that you would have to find a unique schedule that fits you, the employer, and the degree. Unless you are living at home with an appropriate distance between the university and workplace; then maybe.

Quick Reply

Latest