The Student Room Group

Ottawa shooter was a convert to Islam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29736853

I think it's terrible how the news sensationalizes any crime that Muslims do. They single out their crimes above everyone elses. I mean it's not like it's a big deal going into Canadian parliament and shooting people, or raping thousands of kids, or going on a rampage of rape and murder across the middle east. I mean, why does the news always single Muslim crimes out? What about the other demographics who are guilty of doing these things? /s

EDIT: the "/s" indicates sarcasm.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bad stuff. First the hit and run incident on a soldier the day before then the soldier guarding the war memorial. It was a good response though, when he went into the parliament building.

Canada is such a cool country, so together and relaxed with excellent government policing style (armed and professional, smart uniforms, articulate and not overly authoritarian in manner but don't take no crap).

Now one man has changed a whole country's relaxed manner. Security is going to get tighter and Canadian citizens' everyday freedoms will become interfered with, all because of a mindless jihadist ****.
It never surprises me when the terrorist "just happens" to be a Muslim.
To be fair, this guy sounds like he was severely disturbed regardless of his religious affiliation. I mean was he this Islamic Jihadi fighting the enemies of the Ummah, or was he some loser who got involved in this because it provided him with the direction his life lacked? His past history, petty fraud and drug possession would indicate the latter; he could have become a White Supremacist and done this, a Communist and done this, anything.

One thing I will say, Islamic congregations really should be more selective with who they let in and realise that there are people who will want to convert as a way of running from their past lives (happens a lot in the Pentecostal/born-again sects of Christianity I've noticed) and that that really isn't a sensible reason to convert.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly

I think it's terrible how the news sensationalizes any crime that Muslims do. They single out their crimes above everyone elses. I mean it's not like it's a big deal going into Canadian parliament and shooting people, or raping thousands of kids, or going on a rampage of rape and murder across the middle east. I mean, why does the news always single Muslim crimes out? What about the other demographics who are guilty of doing these things? /s

Id be willing to bet most news sources wouldn't mention religion if he was a Christian fundamentalist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by MattBerry96
Id be willing to bet most news sources wouldn't mention religion if he was a Christian fundamentalist

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you'd lose that bet.

If the motivation for the crime were directly congruous with the person's religion, why wouldn't they?
I think it's terrible how the news sensationalizes any crime that Muslims do.

You are completely misrepresenting what the news media have done. No reporter yesterday knew anything about the perpetrator(s) - not even the numbers involved - of the Canadian parliament incident yesterday, so to claim it was singled out for reporting because it was committed by a Moslem is utter tosh.

In fact, it was reported so intensely because it was newsworthy, unusual, dramatic and serious. Only later did it become clear that it had been perpetrated by a Moslem.
Original post by Clip
And you'd lose that bet.

If the motivation for the crime were directly congruous with the person's religion, why wouldn't they?

Maybe I would, it would certainly be interesting to see.

I remember a few months ago in America some Christian fundamentalist Neo-Nazis killed a few police officers and civilians (can't remember exact figures) and some media outlets reported they were just crazy, no mention of their radical Christian views. If I remember correctly Fox News didn't even say it was an act of domestic terrorism.
Yet if they had been Muslims, no doubt equally as insane, the same media outlets would have been reporting non stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Maybe I would, it would certainly be interesting to see.

I remember a few months ago in America some Christian fundamentalist Neo-Nazis killed a few police officers and civilians (can't remember exact figures) and some media outlets reported they were just crazy, no mention of their radical Christian views. If I remember correctly Fox News didn't even say it was an act of domestic terrorism.
Yet if they had been Muslims, no doubt equally as insane, the same media outlets would have been reporting non stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Without knowing what it was or who they were, it's impossible to say.

However, it's easy to postulate that in such a case, their religion is not the prime motivator behind their crimes and is pretty much irrelevant. They possibly went around shooting people because they are a mad sect of survivalists or whatever - not because they believe that their God is incompatible with everyone else's.

In a similar way, if someone is convicted of computer fraud for larcenous gain - their religion is usually entirely irrelevant.

On the other hand, if a person shoots a soldier outside a war memorial and then attacks the parliament building, and it is known that this person is a subscriber to a radical Islamic fundamentalism - it's an obvious connection to make.
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
You are completely misrepresenting what the news media have done. No reporter yesterday knew anything about the perpetrator(s) - not even the numbers involved - of the Canadian parliament incident yesterday, so to claim it was singled out for reporting because it was committed by a Moslem is utter tosh.

In fact, it was reported so intensely because it was newsworthy, unusual, dramatic and serious. Only later did it become clear that it had been perpetrated by a Moslem.

It was sarcasm.
Reply 10
Original post by Marco1
Bad stuff. First the hit and run incident on a soldier the day before then the soldier guarding the war memorial. It was a good response though, when he went into the parliament building.

Canada is such a cool country, so together and relaxed with excellent government policing style (armed and professional, smart uniforms, articulate and not overly authoritarian in manner but don't take no crap).

Now one man has changed a whole country's relaxed manner. Security is going to get tighter and Canadian citizens' everyday freedoms will become interfered with, all because of a mindless jihadist ****.

Yep, Canada seems like a cool place. It's like everything Islam isn't.

It isn't sensationalised, this is another international Jihadi convert wreaking cold-blooded mass murder (and it would have been mass murder had he not been shot by a 58-yr old former Mountie - what a guy!) in the name of a particularly extreme and vicious form of the religion.

If anything, the media are being quite measured and careful in their reporting. It would be easy to conclude that there is something deeply wrong with Islam that so many converts feel they need to engage in this kind of disgusting cruelty. Or perhaps there is something in Islam that makes people susceptible to arguments about Jihad that sound plausible and worth dying for.

It's noteworthy that this guy was a social failure and probably had deep mental difficulties - that's also quite a typical profile in other similar cases.

Hardly sensationalising.

Reported as fact and highlighting a growing threat in the west.

The sooner we acknowledge there's a problem in Islam and start working with moderate Muslims to defeat these nutters the better.

Your apologist nature is the reason why things like Rotherham happened.
Reply 13
Original post by MatureStudent36
Hardly sensationalising.

Reported as fact and highlighting a growing threat in the west.

The sooner we acknowledge there's a problem in Islam and start working with moderate Muslims to defeat these nutters the better.

Your apologist nature is the reason why things like Rotherham happened.

I thought my sarcasm was quite obvious.
It's always the converts.
To be honest I reckon he was a nutcase and converting to Islam was just a way of finding an excuse to be violent.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be willing to bet that they would.
#religionofpeace
I thought my sarcasm was quite obvious.

Obviously not.😊

But it's important to remember that these nutters don't represent the majority of Muslims.
Reply 18
Original post by MatureStudent36
Obviously not.������

But it's important to remember that these nutters don't represent the majority of Muslims.

No, but they do represent certain problems with Islam.
No, but they do represent certain problems with Islam.

I'll agree with that. And making out that we in the west are somehow responsible for this ignores some very worrying facts such as why is it nations throughout the world who never got involved in the Middle East are also targeted.

Quick Reply

Latest