The Student Room Group

What is the Adult Nusring course really like?

A Question to those who are doing or have already finished the Adult Nursing course

I have been to an open day and researched nursing online but i am still left with loads of questions.The information which I found on the uni's website was insufficient to me. What are the modules like? What are the practical placements like? What type of expirience have you had with both aspects of the course? I mean what are some of the most common aspects of the job that you experienced while doing your placements? I know that it is mostly taking care of the patients but please be specific.

Also the modules on the course. What do they cover and how are they graded?

I would appreciate help on this
You will in addition to passing both the academic component and the practice placements be required to demonstrate 2300 hours of learning and 2300 hours in practice.

exact course structure varies between HEIs , the NMC requirements and the underpinning Uk and EU law are not that prescrptive in terms of micro management of course delivery.This menans some courses integrate theory and practice into the module marks while others run a theory and practice module in parallel

As a first year student on placement ,I (as a workplace mentor/ assessor with SLiP) would expect you to be developing your core basic nursing skills, i.e.

-practical skills related to personal care and assisting mobility / moving and handling
-taking observations and interpreting them using an Early Warning Score system - i'd also expect you to know the normal ranges and some of reasons for abnormal obs. also some ofthe pit falls -, temperature, pulse, resps, BP, SpO2 , Blood glucose , i would expect you to be able to demonstrate pulse and BP with manual techniques, neurovascular obs, GCS
-doing straightforward clinical procedures
- be able to assess the collapsed patient
- be able to identfiy a deteriorating patient and begin assessing them
- i'd expect you to be able to write a set of simple nursing notes for the care you have given
- i'd expect to be able to let you do an on admission assessment with minimal assistance and hopefully not have to add too much to your initial assessment documentation and your initial choice of care plans
- i';d expect you to be able to do straightforward medicines round under supervision with minimal prompting and intervention

depending on your confidece and how far through the year will depend if you are given yourt own 'caseload' under you mentor or whether you are a pair of hands within the team led by your mentor - on your first placement if you have no experience you are going to be a pair of hands but if you were all ready a HCA, military medic, experienced event first aider or somesuch you might be able to manage 2 or 3 patients of your own with support.

As you progress through the course we'd ( your mentor and the learning environment manager / co-ordinator) be adding numbers ( of patients) and complexity to the work you are doing under the supervision of an RN to the point where at the end of the third year the mentor should be able to basically sit back and let you run the team and be a pair of hands / do the things students aren;t allowed to do/ supervise your meds...

Quick Reply

Latest