The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hahahaha, you will forever be the bad guy.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Hahahaha, you will forever be the bad guy.

In what sense?
Why on earth would you think it was appropriate?

Its cruel and unnecessary (unless there are strong motivations behind it like she cheated on you or something)
Original post by williamstranix
In what sense?

In the sense of being the opposite of the good guy.
Reply 5
Completely appropriate. Done it many times (bit of a tradition for me) :smile:
Original post by futbol
Completely appropriate. Done it many times (bit of a tradition for me) :smile:

I wish I could reach through the computer and shake your hand. I tip my hat to you sir!
Gotta put them in their place, let them know they're nothing without you.
Reply 8
Bit of a prick thing to do mate.
Original post by ilem
Bit of a prick thing to do mate.

Surely it is a good way to mark the end of a relationship? I once heard of someone who broke up with his girlfriend on her birthday and then later she also found out he had been seeing and having sex with other women while he was with her :lol:. It is a nice way of metaphorically leaving a woman but at the same time carving yourself into her memory so that she cannot forget you.
There's never a 'nice time' to break-up with someone, but doing it on a birthday is particularly ****ty. :erm:
Original post by Freudian Slip
There's never a 'nice time' to break-up with someone, but doing it on a birthday is particularly ****ty. :erm:

Why is it a particularly reprehensible act? I have had friends who have terminated their relationships with their girlfriend on her birthday. One of them even did it as he was driving past her in his car and took a photograph on her reaction on his phone.
Original post by silverbolt
Why on earth would you think it was appropriate?

Its cruel and unnecessary (unless there are strong motivations behind it like she cheated on you or something)

I totally agree
Original post by Emma:-)
I totally agree

What if the break up date just happens to be a birthday?
Why is it a particularly reprehensible act? I have had friends who have terminated their relationships with their girlfriend on her birthday. One of them even did it as he was driving past her in his car and took a photograph on her reaction on his phone.

Probably because I associate birthdays with cake, celebration and having a laugh, not drowning in ice-cream, chick flicks and weeping over 'what ifs, buts and maybes'. That said, it depends on the reason said person is being dumped, I s'pose. :dontknow:
What if the break up date just happens to be a birthday?

Then try to break up before or after their birthday, not on the day.
Reply 16
I don't really see how this can be a question, other than perhaps the OP is wondering who has the moral high-ground in their post-relationship contact. A birthday is a day for feeling good about yourself, and for other people to support you in this. Birthdays are important to people. For one day, you get to feel like it's OK to be a little bit selfish or pampered, or to just do something for yourself and let your obligations rest for one day.

If break up with someone on that day when: a) you have another 364 days to choose from; b) it will make no difference you whatsoever if you broke up the next day; c) the importance of the birthday to a person that I just described, you are acting in a cruel way. Perhaps this is tit-for-tat for them having treated you cruelly in the past, but you can't get away from the nature of your own actions.
I know I don't know you or your situation but I personally think that's heartless and cruel. I don't know how you can get around this issue, since staying with someone you don't love is just as cruel. But I would leave it for a couple of days. Perhaps try to cool things off between you both over the weekend and then break the relationship up? Good luck.
Do it before, don't wait til the birthday because that's horrible. My ex forgot about my birthday then dumped me 5 days later, that was bad enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Oh my god please not on her birthday. I think it would be so horrible!!

Latest