The Student Room Group

Likelihood of training contract

Some advice (no meanness please!) would really be appreciated.

I graduated in July with a 2:1 Law degree from Warwick University. I had some personal difficulties while there (did pretty badly in 1st and 2nd years 3rd class and 2nd class), and in third year I decided to defer my exams (so my CV reads 2010 2014, University of Warwick) to the next year. In my final year, my module marks were: 67, 64, 62, 61 and 50. But I have some truly terrible module marks for 1st year, plus the gap in my degree will obviously make me a weaker candidate, along with my not excellent performance anyway.

In the year I deferred, I got a part-time job, some non-legal but commercial work experience (also had some psychotherapy) just saying this so it shows that I didn't just sit around etc.

In the coming months, maybe even years, I'm planning to maybe do a master's, get some more pro bono and commercial legal work experience, volunteer abroad, and generally increase my legal and commercial awareness. I'll then apply for training contracts. Realistically, what do you think will be my chances of getting one? Obviously not in the best firms, but a training contract nonetheless? My A Level grades are A*, A*, A in Economics, Eng Lit and Maths.

Any advice/help/insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Do your 'personal difficulties' equate to mitigating circumstances? Are you going to feel comfortable putting them onto an app? Also, are you doing the masters to 'compensate'? While I am asking questions, it might be worth saying what kind of law you want to do and where. BW

Original post by pmishra2
Some advice (no meanness please!) would really be appreciated.

I graduated in July with a 2:1 Law degree from Warwick University. I had some personal difficulties while there (did pretty badly in 1st and 2nd years 3rd class and 2nd class), and in third year I decided to defer my exams (so my CV reads 2010 2014, University of Warwick) to the next year. In my final year, my module marks were: 67, 64, 62, 61 and 50. But I have some truly terrible module marks for 1st year, plus the gap in my degree will obviously make me a weaker candidate, along with my not excellent performance anyway.

In the year I deferred, I got a part-time job, some non-legal but commercial work experience (also had some psychotherapy) just saying this so it shows that I didn't just sit around etc.

In the coming months, maybe even years, I'm planning to maybe do a master's, get some more pro bono and commercial legal work experience, volunteer abroad, and generally increase my legal and commercial awareness. I'll then apply for training contracts. Realistically, what do you think will be my chances of getting one? Obviously not in the best firms, but a training contract nonetheless? My A Level grades are A*, A*, A in Economics, Eng Lit and Maths.

Any advice/help/insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest