The Student Room Group

Advice needed -- dissertation adviser trouble

I'm considering changing my dissertation adviser but I'm not sure of the most discreet way of doing that. I'm wondering if any of you can offer me advice or if you have had similar experiences?
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you want to change your disseration supervisor?

If it's simply because you believe another supervisor's expertise and guidance would be more valuable to your project then just mention it. However, if you have a problem with your current supervisor, then I would email the head of your department.

That's just my opinion though, make sure you have the right supervisor:yy:
Be careful about changing; you probably wouldn't be able to ask him for a reference in the future (or at least, I wouldn't want to!), and with all you've done for him previously (I read your post before you edited it), that would be a loss for you. If you're being taught by him this year aside from the dissertation, it could make your classes for the rest of the year rather awkward.

Try and get down to what it is that seems to have ticked him off - you mentioned a disagreement on how to go about your diss? Try and and discuss how you'd like to approach it, giving your reasons, and be prepared to listen to what he has to say & take it on board. Probably you could come to some mutual agreement.

Do you have someone like a personal tutor or similar you could talk to? They might be able to offer some advice on this, being academics themselves, or even just some other lecturer that you like and feel you could approach for advice.

I also had a bit of a disagreement with my supervisor while doing my BA thesis, but after presenting him with evidence of why I was arguing something the way I was, he backed down & agreed. But you have to be respectful of their experience and expertise.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest