The Student Room Group

Help with reading block text?

Hello TSR

2nd year degree student and long time lurker here with a bit of an issue. Since the work load has picked up considerably in the second year I've been asked to read/study/research certain books. That's all well and, I can read very well and like reading. However when the author has the book written in approximately six pages of block text without a break followed by a very similar looking next chapter, I just can't read it.

I don't know if anyone else has the same issue, I don't think I'm dyslexic either. When I see huge walls of text in front of me my brain just turns off. I'm bored before I've even read three sentences.

Any tips to help me with this and finally start researching effectively?
Ok so I never get bored when reading (I'm just odd) but my friends do and what we do is stick loads of post-it's in to split up the pages and explain briefly what happened. Eg when I read jane eyre I had to put in notes on what happened (not a lot) and then when I was finished I posted them on my wall in order. This helped me remmeber what happened after I read the really boring book. You just have to stick with it, make notes, if it's our copy then highlight it or annotate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending