The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Anyone else applying at DMU for the game art course? Sept 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, I'm also from Hungary and have a deep interest in the course and thus, DMU as well! Let's make friends. :biggrin:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
By fan art, I mean for example like a complete copy of a piece of promotional art.
It's even worse if its a copy of a Naruto character or something :P

Basically, try and do original pieces, and if not, try to at least do master studies and studies of real things.
The tutors want to see your passion for art, not for star wars and stuff.
I can see your point, but two things can be merged, that's what the whole "Is a game also art?" argument all about. However I'm not gonna resist, I will do the opposite, lower my head before your knowledge and experience. So thank you for the honest tip.
Do I need my portfolio to be ready only by a potential invitation for interview? If that's the case, I'm free to perfect my sketch pool, which is a relief.
(Sorry for the double post, I can't comprehend how it happened. ^^')
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Hello everyone! Just had something pop into my mind.

How are the placement opportunities over there? Can we hope to get any internships or anything like that in the industry? Do we have options within the UK or abroad as well?

Also, how are the post-graduate employment prospects for the students? Do most people successfully get into the industry, and if so, within the UK or abroad too?
Or do most people end up working in similar-ish fields or dare I suggest, unemployed...

Skycleave:

It's less so about 'is game art art', and more about simply learning your fundamentals first. Let me reiterate:
The 'art' part of 'game art' and 'fine art' is creating something new and original. I'm sure you'll agree when I say that the hardest part of making a piece of art is the idea, the composition, and the lighting. If one simply copies a piece of work, wether it is a master study, a photo, or an anime drawing, they are simply copying someone elses idea and hard work. Now, this isn't a problem per se, after all, copying is how we learn. But the reason why we push copies of things like master studies, rather than anime, is that the proportions in the former are much more realistic. To learn how to stylise your artwork, you need to know the proportions and anatomy of a real human being. If you learn from anime, all you'll be able to ever draw is that style of anime.

So it's less so about an attitude against anime, but it's more about the learning processes you get from it. If you look at the top anime cartoonists in Japan, they will definitely be just as good at drawing as a top tier concept artist. But they'll also be very good at drawing realistic too :smile:

AVGA17:

We have a few university links here, and there's an annual BMW internship for 2 students. On the whole though we're encouraged to find links on our own if possible, but when they do pop up, the university will let us know. It should be noted that most of the good internships are post grad.
As for employment; like all university courses, it's up to you. We're the best Game Art course in the country, and we have all the tools to make you become someone who's fantastic at art. Whether you put in the grind and get to that level is completely up to you. The tutors are here to guide you but that's basically it. The course doesn't really care if you pass or fail, they're gonna get your money either way. Uni is where you come into your own and work for yourself :smile:
Original post by mehrandom
yeah i have also applied for the game art design course 2015 and i cant wait :biggrin: i have my interview on the 21st of January , does anyone have any good tips? :smile:

how did your interview go?
Hey guys and girls, I'm also a first year student here at DMU, so by all means ask, or better yet email me if you guys have any question or concerns about the course. People helped me last year when I was an applicant, so i'm more than happy to return the favour :smile:
Personally happy I never applied, got put off by the lecturer's attitude.
Original post by coffeecakey
Eh. All the lecturers I meet are pretty great when you make an effort in their subjects (different universities), doesn't seem fair to reject a whole course based on one encounter. Besides, you will constantly meet people in life whose attitude won't match yours... there is no escape!

(:

I'm already accepted to a course I find better, the uni is better, facilities and so are the teachers. So I'm really glad I didn't waste time applying for the game's art course at DMU :P

The lecturer put a lot of people down with what he said at the open day and he seemed incredibly unprofessional. I'm sure the course is very good despite his attitude, but personally I'd like to get along with my tutors.
It's sad to hear you say that Redmark, but I must agree with Momo, there will be people who you meet who do not share your interests or attitude. To disregard one of, if not, the best Games Design related courses in the UK because of one encounter, i'm sorry to say, is pretty petty. The course holds it students and tutors both to a very high standard, that is why we are one of few courses to have a skillset accreditation, one of the first courses of its kind to earn it. This is partly because of the tutors here, who are very driven to improving the course further as well it's students, which sometimes mean they expect a lot from you as the industry also does.
Otherwise this thread is for DMU applicants, so thank you for your comment but I feel it is unnecessary. If there are any students with questions about the course, please don't hesitate to ask any of us here at DMUGA :smile:
Original post by SeanGormanUK
It's sad to hear you say that Redmark, but I must agree with Momo, there will be people who you meet who do not share your interests or attitude. To disregard one of, if not, the best Games Design related courses in the UK because of one encounter, i'm sorry to say, is pretty petty. The course holds it students and tutors both to a very high standard, that is why we are one of few courses to have a skillset accreditation, one of the first courses of its kind to earn it. This is partly because of the tutors here, who are very driven to improving the course further as well it's students, which sometimes mean they expect a lot from you as the industry also does.
Otherwise this thread is for DMU applicants, so thank you for your comment but I feel it is unnecessary. If there are any students with questions about the course, please don't hesitate to ask any of us here at DMUGA :smile:

And I'm sorry to say your comment makes little sense, I have nothing against the course what-so-ever, I understand the course is "skillset" accredited, but that frankly means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't expect my tutor to have the same interests or attitude as me, but i do expect a professional attitude from someone who has previously worked in the industry.
Original post by SeanGormanUK

I also didn't disregard the course purely for one encounter, I disregarded it because I found a better course I would prefer to study on. I have nothing against the course and I do hope people that are choosing to apply and study it this year actually enjoy it. I'm sorry if I came across as disrespectful but It's sad to see an industry professional act that way at an open day.
Reply 32
Had my interview yesterday!!!

I think it went well! I'm not sure though! I said some good stuff but looking back at it I think I couldve said more things! I was also a bit too serious when I was talking, probably because I was nervous, not sure if that will work against me though. I tried to be as friedly and smile as much as possible! But in any case, I think they probably liked my work... We'll see. Fingers crossed!!! The wait is killing me! :biggrin:
Reply 33
I'd just like to say that the tutors here are lovely people and are very hard working. We get a lot of applicants every year, and they have to interview hundreds. With the small team they have it can be stressful. The course isn't easy, and anyone who isn't dedicated enough to do the work will fail the year. The lecturers want to avoid this, and so they'll speak seriously on the open day. This stops people who aren't hardworking enough to choose our course, they will then go for a course which isn't as intense, or is just different.

As a student of this course, I can vouch for my lecturers.

Also good luck to you guys having your interviews! :smile: Looking forward to meeting you all in September! Maybe you could start up a Facebook group once you find out if you're in or not ^^ We did it last year & it helped us make friends at the start. We still use it now for sharing course info, tutorials and arranging drawing hangouts etc.
Reply 34
@lily: Sounds like a great idea! I guess it will be quite helpful to international students like myself as well. It's a bit awkward when you're out of your native environment at first, for me at least :P

And by the way, I was wondering about the age makeup in the course? Or the first year at least? What's the average age of the freshers? Will an 18-year old be a bit too young in comparison to others? If so, is there still a sense of equality amongst students despite age?
Reply 35
Age difference isn't really a big thing amongst us ^^ some first years are fresh out of sixthform, some did a year on art foundation or games development courses. I'd say there's about half and half.

It's more about experience rather than age I think :smile: There isn't any discrimination though, so don't worry about that!

Also if you guys need any help with setting the group up then lemme know.
Reply 36
Yes!!!!!!!!!! Just got an offer!! Gosh I am so delighted right now!
Reply 37
Original post by AVGA17
Yes!!!!!!!!!! Just got an offer!! Gosh I am so delighted right now!

congratz!! :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Lily_D
congratz!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Thank you! I am literally jumping! :biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending