The Student Room Group

Should I leave university?

Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads similar to mine asking whether they should leave but I would appreciate it if I could get some advice.

I chose to study a fairly challenging degree (for me anyway) with my intention to be to work very hard to get through. I was told that you don't necessarily need to be a natural mathematician to do maths at uni and as long as you work hard you will be okay. The problem has been that since I started uni (5 weeks ago) I have found uni quite hard to adapt to and as a result have lost motivation to do any work. I wouldn't say that I 'hate' my course but there are definitely some modules that I find boring. I always knew it would be hard, especially for me, and as I haven't been able to keep on top of the work I feel like there is no point doing a degree which I don't really have any motivation for and don't really enjoy.

I would much prefer to leave now and work or do something for the rest of the year and apply for a different course for next year while retaking a few exams (maybe). Another problem I have is that most of my family said that I wouldn't be able to cope with maths at uni and by leaving I am basically telling them that they are correct. I have also been struggling with anxiety and have been feeling very down since I started (not sure if it's depression though).

The only other problem is that I care a lot about what others think about me and the thought of being a dropout is a bit hard to take at the moment. Even though I know there is nothing wrong with dropping out.

Thank you for reading :biggrin:

Any advice is appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moment of truth
Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads similar to mine asking whether they should leave but I would appreciate it if I could get some advice.

I chose to study a fairly challenging degree (for me anyway) with my intention to be to work very hard to get through. I was told that you don't necessarily need to be a natural mathematician to do maths at uni and as long as you work hard you will be okay. The problem has been that since I started uni (5 weeks ago) I have found uni quite hard to adapt to and as a result have lost motivation to do any work. I wouldn't say that I 'hate' my course but there are definitely some modules that I find boring. I always knew it would be hard, especially for me, and as I haven't been able to keep on top of the work I feel like there is no point doing a degree which I don't really have any motivation for and don't really enjoy.

I would much prefer to leave now and work or do something for the rest of the year and apply for a different course for next year while retaking a few exams (maybe). Another problem I have is that most of my family said that I wouldn't be able to cope with maths at uni and by leaving I am basically telling them that they are correct. I have also been struggling with anxiety and have been feeling very down since I started (not sure if it's depression though).

The only other problem is that I care a lot about what others think about me and the thought of being a dropout is a bit hard to take at the moment. Even though I know there is nothing wrong with dropping out.

Firstly, whoever told you that a maths degree is a realistic possibility without being naturally good at maths is a fool. I tell you that from personal experience of having attempted a maths degree.

Secondly, all you have to do is ask yourself do you honestly think you can get through three years of the course? If the answer is no then there is no point staying any longer.

At the end of the day if you are already finding it very hard then it's not going to get any easier as time goes on.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, and if you do drop out then I can tell you what will happen. Your family will be fine with it if they understand that it was the right choice for you, most of your friends won't care and the most you'll get will be them taking the mickey out of you a tiny bit for a little while, and anybody who does look down on you for dropping out to change course isn't worth the time or effort it takes to give a **** about their opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mackemforever
Firstly, whoever told you that a maths degree is a realistic possibility without being naturally good at maths is a fool. I tell you that from personal experience of having attempted a maths degree.

Secondly, all you have to do is ask yourself do you honestly think you can get through three years of the course? If the answer is no then there is no point staying any longer.

At the end of the day if you are already finding it very hard then it's not going to get any easier as time goes on.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, and if you do drop out then I can tell you what will happen. Your family will be fine with it if they understand that it was the right choice for you, most of your friends won't care and the most you'll get will be them taking the mickey out of you a tiny bit for a little while, and anybody who does look down on you for dropping out to change course isn't worth the time or effort it takes to give a **** about their opinion.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated :biggrin:

I think I was probably being a little ambitious thinking that I am good enough to do maths at uni, I do enjoy maths but having to self teach a fair amount etc is something which I have never done before. Did you leave also?

Yeah, I don't honestly think I can.

I think I am finding it a lot harder than I would be if I didn't have any other problems while at uni, but yeah it is definitely hard.

I agree with the friends bit :biggrin: not sure about family, but we will see how it goes.
Another problem I have is that most of my family said that I wouldn't be able to cope with maths at uni and by leaving I am basically telling them that they are correct.

Your family really shouldn't be a problem. I doubt they'd judge you, they're likely to understand, right? Besides, they may have said that you couldn't cope with maths, but you had to see for yourself if you could. If you're not enjoying it and cant find motivation for your course, you shouldn't stay just because you feel you have to. You don't. Whatever you decide, good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chidchilli
Your family really shouldn't be a problem. I doubt they'd judge you, they're likely to understand, right? Besides, they may have said that you couldn't cope with maths, but you had to see for yourself if you could. If you're not enjoying it and cant find motivation for your course, you shouldn't stay just because you feel you have to. You don't. Whatever you decide, good luck! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm I dunno, I feel like they will go on and on about it how they were right etc and I can't really deal with that because they always do that. My main reason for leaving would probably be mental health issues anyway and then the course comes after.

Thank you :biggrin:
Hey man

Im pretty much sure Im going to be leaving uni (6 weeks in and its ****).

Im like you, I've lost all motivation for the course and it is extremely mind numbing. Also not really enjoying the whole uni lifestyle.

Personally my Mum doesn't understand why Im not enjoying it and uses the old cliche 'just stick it out', which is awfully easy for someone to say who has never gone to uni. However, its my life and at the end of the day Im an adult and can do as I wish. Your family may say they were right but honestly they seem a lot more supportive.

As long as you've got a solid backup plan for this year out (as well as what you want to do when this year ends) then I'm sure they will be extremely understandable. After all, what family/friend wants to see you unhappy.

Anyways, good luck bro
Original post by WILLMUSIC88
Hey man

Im pretty much sure Im going to be leaving uni (6 weeks in and its ****).

Im like you, I've lost all motivation for the course and it is extremely mind numbing. Also not really enjoying the whole uni lifestyle.

Personally my Mum doesn't understand why Im not enjoying it and uses the old cliche 'just stick it out', which is awfully easy for someone to say who has never gone to uni. However, its my life and at the end of the day Im an adult and can do as I wish. Your family may say they were right but honestly they seem a lot more supportive.

As long as you've got a solid backup plan for this year out (as well as what you want to do when this year ends) then I'm sure they will be extremely understandable. After all, what family/friend wants to see you unhappy.

Anyways, good luck bro

Hey,

I have a feeling my mum would be pretty similar to yours really. Tbh only we know how much we enjoy the uni and our course and so it should be our own choice.

I haven't really thought about anything at the moment, I don't really like the idea of having to work full time but that is due to not having worked much at all in my life, but yeah I would probably have to work and then retake some exams in the summer.

Good luck to you too :smile:
Hi,

It sounds like you haven't been working hard enough and as a result have fell behind. Maths is only enjoyable if you work and understand it- I can't say i've ever met someone who loved maths but couldn't do it.

I think you should stick it out and prove your family wrong- how much work have you been doing? I'm in the same position (was never naturally good at maths) but have been working most of my time since freshers week and only going out on the weekends.

Nobody told you a maths degree would be easy. In fact, most people consider it the hardest degree, so you knew what you were signing up for just like everyone else. Sure, you can drop out, go back to your family and try and find a job, tell everyone that it was too hard and say it was full of "naturally smart" kids, or you can start putting in the hours and stop making excuses. If you drop out without REALLY trying, you will forever regret it, and I honestly think that if you REALLY try, you will realize why you chose maths in the first place and things will start to fall into place.
Original post by lmorgan95
It sounds like you haven't been working hard enough and as a result have fell behind. Maths is only enjoyable if you work and understand it- I can't say i've ever met someone who loved maths but couldn't do it.

I think you should stick it out and prove your family wrong- how much work have you been doing? I'm in the same position (was never naturally good at maths) but have been working most of my time since freshers week and only going out on the weekends.

Nobody told you a maths degree would be easy. In fact, most people consider it the hardest degree, so you knew what you were signing up for just like everyone else. Sure, you can drop out, go back to your family and try and find a job, tell everyone that it was too hard and say it was full of "naturally smart" kids, or you can start putting in the hours and stop making excuses. If you drop out without REALLY trying, you will forever regret it, and I honestly think that if you REALLY try, you will realize why you chose maths in the first place and things will start to fall into place.

Yes, it is true that I haven't been working hard enough but that is due to having next to no motivation to do any work and when I start working I feel bored or demotivated after a little while. I knew when I chose to study maths on results day that it would be a massive challenge and I thought with hard work I would be able to manage the workload and everything, the problem has been that I haven't really enjoyed uni so far and as a result haven't had any motivation. I don't think that everyone that does a maths degree is 'naturally smart', obviously there will be people like me that are not 'naturally talented' at maths and instead put in hours and hours of work.

I really do want to prove my family wrong, but I don't honestly think that doing a maths degree is for me. If I didn't have any mental health issues at the moment then I probably wouldn't be writing this in the first place, but doing a challenging degree with everything else going on is way too much for me. What I really need is some time to sort myself out and that would be much easier to do at home with family around then on my own in uni. I have also been to counselling and it has helped a little bit but not massively.

Thank you for your advice :biggrin:
Reply 9
If you're not enjoying it there is no point staying and forcing yourself to do a degree for 3 years that you hate.
I know its easier said than done but you need to let go of what you think others will say/do/think about you, its not worth your time and honestly, they probably will think something you won't like but who cares? Don't let it bring you down :-)
Come up with a good plan for the year before you do drop out, so you know what you will have to do, and enjoy your time! Re-apply for something you do like and learn from your experiences! You'll be fine :-)
the transition from school maths to university maths is notoriously difficult (google it) and I wouldn't encourage people to try unless they were sure it was what they wanted to do.

Instead of dropping out you could consider talking to your tutor about changing to another course, if you have an idea of something you would prefer.
Think carefully before dropping out. Its early days and may well improve if you get your head back in the game. There is a balance to be struck between ploughing on just so people cant say 'I told you so' and thinking about whats really right for you. You can be quite sure that once you start working for a living there will be periods of longer than six weeks where you are bored and demotivated, but you cant just duck out every time the going gets tough.

I would suggest a meeting with your tutor, getting a plan together, arrange a study buddy, make sure you are exercising and eating properly (common cause of a CBA feeling) Start talking in more positive terms about it all, one step at a time, they all sound like cliches but they will help pull you out of the mire.

Imagine how absolutely awesome you will feel once you have your degree, knowing that it was a real challenge and you rose to it, thats the sort of thing that gives self belief on a whole new level.

Go and talk to your tutor, and be solution focussed rather than just listing all the stuff you are not enjoying.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by sarsoora
If you're not enjoying it there is no point staying and forcing yourself to do a degree for 3 years that you hate.
I know its easier said than done but you need to let go of what you think others will say/do/think about you, its not worth your time and honestly, they probably will think something you won't like but who cares? Don't let it bring you down :-)
Come up with a good plan for the year before you do drop out, so you know what you will have to do, and enjoy your time! Re-apply for something you do like and learn from your experiences! You'll be fine :-)

Yeahh, the problem is letting go of that thought. I need to somehow realise that I shouldn't care what they say and do whatever I need to.

Original post by parentlurker
the transition from school maths to university maths is notoriously difficult (google it) and I wouldn't encourage people to try unless they were sure it was what they wanted to do.

Instead of dropping out you could consider talking to your tutor about changing to another course, if you have an idea of something you would prefer.

I have been at uni for like 5 weeks now so the idea of changing course is pretty much definitely a no and yeah the transition is quite huge.

Thank you for your advice guys :biggrin:
Original post by LolaLowe
Think carefully before dropping out. Its early days and may well improve if you get your head back in the game. There is a balance to be struck between ploughing on just so people cant say 'I told you so' and thinking about whats really right for you. You can be quite sure that once you start working for a living there will be periods of longer than six weeks where you are bored and demotivated, but you cant just duck out every time the going gets tough.

I would suggest a meeting with your tutor, getting a plan together, arrange a study buddy, make sure you are exercising and eating properly (common cause of a CBA feeling) Start talking in more positive terms about it all, one step at a time, they all sound like cliches but they will help pull you out of the mire.

Imagine how absolutely awesome you will feel once you have your degree, knowing that it was a real challenge and you rose to it, thats the sort of thing that gives self belief on a whole new level.

Go and talk to your tutor, and be solution focussed rather than just listing all the stuff you are not enjoying.

Good luck :smile:

Hmm I agree with your first paragraph. I know there will be times in my life where I will feel similar to how I am feeling now but at the moment I am trying to focus on getting through this period of time at the moment. I did honestly feel that maths was for me before I started and maybe it still is, I dunno. I feel that a degree like psychology or something of that sort would be more interesting. I have always found psychology interesting but didn't decide to do it because of family telling me that 'I am not good enough at writing essays'.

I do agree it will feel amazing at the end of the day if I do get through this but I don't feel strong enough.

Will have a chat with my tutor and talk about my options.

Thank you for all your advice :biggrin:
Yeahh, the problem is letting go of that thought. I need to somehow realise that I shouldn't care what they say and do whatever I need to.

I have been at uni for like 5 weeks now so the idea of changing course is pretty much definitely a no and yeah the transition is quite huge.

Thank you for your advice guys :biggrin:

Exactly, it's your life not theirs, you do what makes you happy! Hope it all turns out good for you in the end :smile: :smile:
Hi,

Out of all the similar threads this is one I can relate to the best. I'm actually not bad at maths but it's definitely not a subject im astounding at - kinda bein staying for the social life part.

I may not be the best one to give advice as I didn't show up this week, but once you force yourself to sit and concentrate on the stuff it's not that bad, and if you know someone who is in the year above or just really good at maths it can help you stay sane.

Stay for semester 1; if it drives you insane drop out
I would just like to say that you most likely have the ability to get through the course, if you were not up to standard you would not have been accepted onto your course by the university. Saying that, Mathematics at university is hard, but I completely disagree that only the naturally talented ones succeed. Working hard is far more important, and if you are struggling it is probably through lack of effort or not studying effectively rather than you not being smart enough or whatever.

It is still early enough for you to work a bit harder and get into a good studying routine, get help from your personal tutor if you need to. It is important to not fall too far behind, and a lot of people don't like the idea of working hard but that's really the only way.
Original post by Abbie :)
Out of all the similar threads this is one I can relate to the best. I'm actually not bad at maths but it's definitely not a subject im astounding at - kinda bein staying for the social life part.

I may not be the best one to give advice as I didn't show up this week, but once you force yourself to sit and concentrate on the stuff it's not that bad, and if you know someone who is in the year above or just really good at maths it can help you stay sane.

Stay for semester 1; if it drives you insane drop out

Yeah, I may give it a little bit of time and then leave if I still feel like I should. We have a few assessments coming up though which I am getting a bit worried about.

Thank you :biggrin:
I actually found the first few weeks the most difficult - I found it got a lot easier with time - especially if you get a boost from doing well on one of the early assignments. I think you should stick with it.
Reply 19
Hi guys.

I am a 2nd yr student studying health. Last year I suffered from depression and took a leave of absence. I returned bak in september and my depression has come back! I spoke to my tutor who considered that I should withdraw as I cannot focus anymore. I will recive an higher education certificate for my 1 st yr however I am finding it hard to decide wether I should drop out from my course. By the way, my depression triggered at university and therefore I am finding it hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest