The Student Room Group

Your stance on animal cruelty

Hey guys,

What is your stance on animal cruelty? Where do you draw the line? What is/is not acceptable?

This is an example - why does YouTube allow such rubbish on despite reports? It clearly breaks their ToS with regards to animal abuse (if you didn't know, those are FIRE ANTS and they are exceptionally painful).

People think they have some god given right to do anything they want with animals that are "beneath" them. No matter how brutal or unnecessary. This video is but an example, and I'm using it specifically because there is a camp of thinking that since it's "just a mouse", it doesn't matter if people are cruel to one. I mean, I can understand killing animals if it's for a legit reason but this way?? Where is the sense in that??
(edited 9 years ago)
Killing animals with the intent of eating them = natural.
Using animals to test cosmetics and medicine = unnatural.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

"This video is but an example, and I'm using it specifically because there is a camp of thinking that since it's "just a mouse", it doesn't matter if people are cruel to one".

Apply the same thinking to humans (after all, it's just a human. There are billions of them, so what if one gets killed?) and those same people will no doubt cause an uproar. People are hypocrites like that.
Shock videos and images are abundant on social media, commonly spread by people who buy into animal exploitation for their own convenience.

'But I need to eat and it's humane!' I hear them cry. No, you don't have to eat animals and meat processing is not in the slightest bit 'humane' by any reasonable definition of the word.

I personally wouldn't go out of my way to be cruel to an animal myself but I love a good steak. Hypocrite and proud.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rockrunride

'But I need to eat and it's humane!' I hear them cry. No, you don't have to eat animals and meat processing is not in the slightest bit 'humane' by any reasonable definition of the word.

Whether it's humane really varies from place to place, depending on state and/or federal laws.

Of course, someone could also raise and kill their own animals for food.
Does there have to be a line?
Food: obviously fine
Testing, especially medical: practically a necessity these days
Subjugation for personal reasons: no issues.

And how is a video of ants eating a mouse cruelty? Does that mean all the documentaries with lions eating zebra depictions of animal cruelty too?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel

And how is a video of ants eating a mouse cruelty? Does that mean all the documentaries with lions eating zebra depictions of animal cruelty too?

Did you even watch the video?

It was a trapped animal, the person deliberately put the animal next to a nest of fire ants for it to suffer for his enjoyment.

How is this comparable to a documentary? :rolleyes:
The dude in the video is a sadistic ****.
Reply 7
as look as animals die quick then its fine

halal and kosher slaughter should be banned
I don't believe we have any right to kill, torture or subject to harm any living creature.

We are not "above" other living beings except for in our intelligence, which should lead to us being able to show MORE compassion than them. Unfortunately in general, the opposite is true.
Meat and dairy I am fine with. Free range can't feed everyone but I try to get it when I can, and I don't actually eat that much meat. As long as the animals are killed quickly then there isn't too much of a welfare issue with meat (though CCTV would help make sure regulations are always enforced). This is from someone who has been in an abattoir and seen everything.

I am fine with shooting as well, as long as sport isn't the sole reason for it (in the UK hardly any shooting is solely for sport, there is usually something else behind it as well). Shooting is a legitimate sport, provides free range meat and it is important for pest control and conservation work. Again, there isn't really much of a welfare issue as the animals are usually killed quickly. And it is done for good reason.

Basically, there is a difference between animal welfare and animal rights. Welfare is stuff like "we need stricter welfare regulations for farms", "we need to control pests but some methods should be avoided because of cruelty", etc. Animal rights is more extreme and is basically "don't eat meat at all", "don't control any wildlife species". Animal welfare is the reasonable middle ground. But animal rights is often unrealistic - e.g. they object to all pest control even when it is necessary, and have campaigned against some conservation projects that require control of rabbits, rats, grey squirrels, etc.

Genuine animal cruelty is a very different story. Those who deliberately set out to torture animals need much stricter punishments and what they do is rage inducing at times.
(edited 9 years ago)
I can't eat meat. I watched a documentary on how some of the animals are treated when they're being raised for the slaughter and I haven't been able to eat it ever since. Although I'm not sure that's strictly to do with my ethics; as I was physically put off rather than morally.

I also hate the thought of anything being tested on animals, particularly cosmetics that we REALLY don't need. It's just not necessary.

Medicines are a little different. Again, I don't like the thought of things being tested on animals, but I do understand that if it weren't for that, there would be many people who were unable to survive certain illnesses. I don't believe that human life is worth more than the life of other animals, but it's hard to say I'm against it as I have family members who have been on medication that was probably tested on animals. So I wish it didn't happen, but I can't see that there's much of an alternative at the moment.
The purpose of animals is to be eaten , and to provide food for humans. However , animal cruelty is sadistic and unnecessary.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
The purpose of animals is to be eaten , and to provide food for humans. However , animal cruelty is sadistic and unnecessary.

No, they are not. There is no "purpose" aside from an evolutionary niche.
Original post by rockrunride

I personally wouldn't go out of my way to be cruel to an animal myself but I love a good steak. Hypocrite and proud.

This 100%.
Society stance on animal cruelty:

Cruelty towards a dog or cat - 'OMG MONSTERS. I HOPE THOSE PEOPLE THAT KICKED THAT POOR DOG/CAT GET RAPED AND MURDERED. THEY DESERVE TO SUFFER IN THE MOST GRUESOME WAY FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFES'

Cruelty towards a pig, chicken, cow - HMMMMM FOOOD. I HATE VEGANS FOR BEING SO SELF RIGHTEOUS HOW DARE THEY TELL ME THAT CRUELTY TOWARDS THESE ANIMALS IS WRONG.

Cruelty towards a rat etc- EWWWWWWW LOOK AT THAT PIECE OF VERMIN. KICK IT HARDER AND MAKE IT SUFFER.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending