The Student Room Group

biased against private sixth forms?

I'm currently in year 11 and trying to choose a sixth form. I'm torn between two: the independent school I'm currently at and a state college near me. Both are an equal distance away, and money is not an issue - I would have a full scholarship.
I'm expected at least an A in all nine subjects and I'm planning to do physics, chemistry and further maths at A level. For just AS I'm undecided, I would happily do any two out of: astronomy, electronics, economics, sociology, psychology, science in society, biology, and geology.
I'm planning on doing physics or engineering at university, and I have my eye on Oxford (I know it's unlikely). I would be more than happy at any Russell Group university quite honestly. Although it feels early to be thinking this, if I were to carry on with physics/engineering I'd quite like to go to America to study for a PhD.
(you can skip the next two paragraphs as they aren't overly important!)
The benefits of the state college are; more choice with the courses, a fantastic enrichment program, I'll be prepared to meet new people at uni after, way more freedom, a shorter day, no dress code, and I'll be able to do 5/6 courses. The only downside is I have extremely bad anxiety when it comes to a large amount of people in one area (I had to leave my state school at 13 because of it), but I could just finally get medication for that.
The benefits of the private college are; smaller classes, the extended learning program, it's familiar, has a strong work ethic, I'll get most work done at school, and the lessons will be tailored to us. The downsides are; I'll be there 8-6 (and will only spend about 3/4 hours in lessons per day maximum) and I'll still have work to do in the evenings and weekends, their expectations cause me enormous stress, I can only take 3/4 courses there, and out of the possible AS levels I'd take, they only offer economics, psychology and biology - and although I wouldn't mind them, there are others I'd rather do by far.
I've also heard universities can be biased against private school applicants - how true is this? Is Oxbridge biased? I always just assumed coming from a private sixth form would make you more desirable.
Based on what I've told you, which choice do you think is best for me? congratulations if you read all that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxbridge isn't biased in either direction: being a private school applicant wouldn't make you any more or less attractive in itself.

I can't tell you from that info which would be better for you. Personally, being a lazy so-and-so, I prefer shorter days, but that's just me :tongue:

Also I'd try and get your anxiety issues in check before accepting any potential offer from Oxbridge. It's not an anxiety-friendly environment and I'd hate for you to get there and for it to flair up majorly. So I'd advise you to seek help pronto for any anxiety issues you may be having :yes:
Oxbridge won't be biased either for or against private schools.

Just go to the school you'd prefer to go to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending