The Student Room Group

My School wont let me retake my GCSE Additional Science ISA. :(

I got my Science ISA Temperature Effect on Rate of Reaction, and I am disappointed in my results. I did not do as well as last year. I got an A last year (38/50).

This year I got a C (33/50) :frown:
Usually I would blame my self for not doing well but I have my reasons, and I cannot take all the blame.
I had a really bad flu on the week when we started preparation, so I couldn't concentrate very well as a result I missed a lesson as I had a hospital appointment so I could not hand in my book which had my practice 9 mark question. Therefore, I received no feedback or grade. I had to do all the method work the day before the paper so I had nobody to check my work. I ended up loosing marks.

However, I think my teachers are to blame for this as well.
Everybody in the class never understood the content and the method so our ISA was postponed 1 day, so we had an extra lesson to understand.

Also, my teachers forgot to teach us some things which were needed to gain marks so we were given our Papers back on several occasions during different lessons to add the things in they forgot to teach us.

When we received our results today, the teacher said that anyone below 33 marks are retaking, anyone with a C or above is not allowed to retake.

I'm not happy with a C Grade. It barely makes a difference to my overall grade, especially when I'm aiming for an A in Additional.
I think it's unfair, that they are not letting me aim a higher grade.
All they care about is A*-C League Table Statistics.
Also, they let many people retake last year, when most people got B's and C's.

Shall I speak to my head of science?
He was my teacher last year and he was fantastic.
I really want to retake my ISA.
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Grade

I'm not that familiar with AQA's rules but I on't think you're allowed to re-sit them. You can do a different one (e.g. the Physics one) but the regulations forbid you re-sitting the same one.
OMG I UNDERSTAND YOU! I just can't ISA, and I do triple, so last year I dos my physics isa on resistance and got the results back, I got a low D 🔫 and this was so bad because I go to a acdenic science school, am in top set and aiming for medicine, so obviously I was crushed. I am predicted an A* and have been getting them all year in all the theory but I can't do ISA's.
I asked my teacher to resit, and he said no, saying there was "no lesson time" to do another isa in. I suggested that I would be willing to do another in lunchtimes etc and he said "I would have to give up my own time then wouldn't i" it is so unfair. Lots of other people in my set want to retake too, as it is the first ISA we have done, so we went to the head of physics and she said the in her set (set 2) she makes anyone who didn't get an a or a* resit, so anyone who wants can resit in January with her class so it's all good ✌️ I just got my chemistry isa back, and got 43/50 (A*) so I am blaming my teacher for ohysics as it was our first, he didn't explain anything and made us go into the real thing with no practice, urg. Just go talk to the head :smile:
Original post by Grade
I got my Science ISA Temperature Effect on Rate of Reaction, and I am disappointed in my results. I did not do as well as last year. I got an A last year (38/50).

This year I got a C (33/50) :frown:
Usually I would blame my self for not doing well but I have my reasons, and I cannot take all the blame.
I had a really bad flu on the week when we started preparation, so I couldn't concentrate very well as a result I missed a lesson as I had a hospital appointment so I could not hand in my book which had my practice 9 mark question. Therefore, I received no feedback or grade. I had to do all the method work the day before the paper so I had nobody to check my work. I ended up loosing marks.

However, I think my teachers are to blame for this as well.
Everybody in the class never understood the content and the method so our ISA was postponed 1 day, so we had an extra lesson to understand.

Also, my teachers forgot to teach us some things which were needed to gain marks so we were given our Papers back on several occasions during different lessons to add the things in they forgot to teach us.

When we received our results today, the teacher said that anyone below 33 marks are retaking, anyone with a C or above is not allowed to retake.

I'm not happy with a C Grade. It barely makes a difference to my overall grade, especially when I'm aiming for an A in Additional.
I think it's unfair, that they are not letting me aim a higher grade.
All they care about is A*-C League Table Statistics.
Also, they let many people retake last year, when most people got B's and C's.

Shall I speak to my head of science?
He was my teacher last year and he was fantastic.

You can do the tests in a private centre but they can be quite expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest