The Student Room Group

Differential Equation Question

Consider a simplified decay series of an isotope X, which decays to a daughter isotope Y, which in turn decays to a stable isotope Z. Let the two decay constants = lamda X and Lamda Y

(lamda subset X and subset Y),

a) Write down the differential equation that governs isotope X, and write down the solution defining x0 as the amount of X present at t = 0

b) The rate of increase of isotope Z is proportional to the amount of isotope Y present, write down dZ/dt

I have no idea how to do this, any help much appreciated, cheers.

PS, this is a maths module, hence why it's in the maths section. I think my tutor gave us this problem to throw us off, ya know, with all the words and stuff....
Reply 1
Original post by SwimGood
Consider a simplified decay series of an isotope X, which decays to a daughter isotope Y, which in turn decays to a stable isotope Z. Let the two decay constants = lamda X and Lamda Y

(lamda subset X and subset Y),

a) Write down the differential equation that governs isotope X, and write down the solution defining x0 as the amount of X present at t = 0

b) The rate of increase of isotope Z is proportional to the amount of isotope Y present, write down dZ/dt

I have no idea how to do this, any help much appreciated, cheers.

PS, this is a maths module, hence why it's in the maths section. I think my tutor gave us this problem to throw us off, ya know, with all the words and stuff....

was it you that was asking the question about the salt mix the other day?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
was it you that was asking the question about the salt mix the other day?

no. why?
Reply 3
no. why?

[someone needs to sort this out. I was halfway typing. I left the page momentarily came back and the message is gone:angry:]

rate of decrease = d(something)/dt = - ...

here it is lamdax = constant I think

does this start you up?
Reply 4
No sorry, I am giving up on this question, I really don't get it.
Reply 5
No sorry, I am giving up on this question, I really don't get it.

do not give up ...
this question is laughing at you!

I am going soon but surely there are enough people here to help you.
Reply 6
Still not getting it!
Reply 7
Bump
Bump

Do you know the differential equation for radioactive decay?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest