The Student Room Group

Urgent help needed!!

Hi everyone,

I've applied to Medicine this year already (waiting now :/) BUT, I want to have a back up in place. I KNOW I should have applied for the back up when I sent my application off, but I was an idiot and thought that I could just apply through clearing for something.
Predictions: A*AA,
AS: AABBB (mitigating circumstances)
UKCAT: 705
Obviously, if I don't get an offer but get the grades then I'll take a gap year.
If I don't get the grades, I need a back up.
I've applied to Sheffield, Notts, Barts and St George's for Med. Hopefully, I'll get an offer, but for my back up, I really wanted to go into Pharmacy.

HOWEVER, will any Unis allow me to apply to Pharmacy with a medical orientated PS??
This is my biggest problem -I've already emailed a lot of Unis offering MPharm, but they'll take a while to reply.
I am not totally sure on this but some universities might want a separate statement (experience of a few friends). Best thing to do would be to contact the university admissions for pharmacy :smile:
Reply 2
Yep! Once you apply, they generally send you an email to send them a non-medical personal statement focusing on the course that you've applied to. I applied for biomedical sciences at Bath and they asked me to write them a separate PS, and all turned out well. So no worried! :smile:
Are you sure you're desperate to have a backup and jump into another course at university? You're only predicted so you could have a gap year. You have time to get your grades up and people inevitably do better the more they sit the UKCAT. A second attempt, if you're unsuccessful (which I'm not saying you will be!) may end up being more successful.
Original post by MJK91
Are you sure you're desperate to have a backup and jump into another course at university? You're only predicted so you could have a gap year. You have time to get your grades up and people inevitably do better the more they sit the UKCAT. A second attempt, if you're unsuccessful (which I'm not saying you will be!) may end up being more successful.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
My biggest fear/problem is that I will not get the grades (AAA) to do Medicine; obviously if I don't get the min grades, I can't possibly do an undergraduate Medicine degree.
If I get the grades and don't get an offer, I will happily take a gap year and reappy, but this back up is if I don't get the grades in the first place.
(thanks for the reply)
Original post by zk11
Yep! Once you apply, they generally send you an email to send them a non-medical personal statement focusing on the course that you've applied to. I applied for biomedical sciences at Bath and they asked me to write them a separate PS, and all turned out well. So no worried! :smile:

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply;
I've emailed a lot of the Mpharm Unis and only Aston and Kings have replied so far, but they said that 'We will automatically decline an application if the personal statement does not show an interest in Pharmacy.' and 'Yes, we do look primarily at candidates who have a clear interest in pharmacy. We would advise selecting Biomedical Science as a fifth option.'
respectively.

:frown::frown:
So I don't know what to do. I know I would really enjoy going into pharmacy if I didn't get into Medicine (fingers crossed that I do). Also Pharmacy has better Career prospects and I believe I would enjoy the course more than Biomedical sciences -any help/advice?
Reply 6
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply;
I've emailed a lot of the Mpharm Unis and only Aston and Kings have replied so far, but they said that 'We will automatically decline an application if the personal statement does not show an interest in Pharmacy.' and 'Yes, we do look primarily at candidates who have a clear interest in pharmacy. We would advise selecting Biomedical Science as a fifth option.'
respectively.

:frown::frown:
So I don't know what to do. I know I would really enjoy going into pharmacy if I didn't get into Medicine (fingers crossed that I do). Also Pharmacy has better Career prospects and I believe I would enjoy the course more than Biomedical sciences -any help/advice?

My son has applied for 4 Medical courses and Pharmacy at Newcastle and has been given a conditional offer for his Pharmacy Course-standard Medicine PS. Might be worth contacting them?
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
Hi, thanks for the reply.
My biggest fear/problem is that I will not get the grades (AAA) to do Medicine; obviously if I don't get the min grades, I can't possibly do an undergraduate Medicine degree.
If I get the grades and don't get an offer, I will happily take a gap year and reappy, but this back up is if I don't get the grades in the first place.
(thanks for the reply)

Ok, in which case you can consider doing a different course then. I don't know why you're settling now: there's no point! A gap year can do the world of good :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
My son has applied for 4 Medical courses and Pharmacy at Newcastle and has been given a conditional offer for his Pharmacy Course-standard Medicine PS. Might be worth contacting them?

Wow, thank you so much for that.

I actually asked the Universities of Brighton and Durham, both said that I would not be disadvantaged for applying with a Medicine PS. Will probably contact Newcastle now.

If you don't mind my asking, what were his Stats like? (GCSEs, AS Levels, UKCAT etc) and what Med Unis has he applied to?

Again, thank you very much for your reply.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey guys,
UPDATE:
I've shortlisted the Unis that I'd like to apply to for Pharmacy; Durham and Brighton.
However, I'm not sure which University I would have a better shot at getting into.
Durham does not operate an Interview policy, but requires me to make a separate personal statement, which I don't really have a problem with. But Brighton does not really care about my Medicine PS, but I will be required to do an aptitude test and attend a 'group discussion' (basically an interview).
I like Durham a tiny bit more, but Brighton seems easier to get into. This is very important considering this is supposed to be my back up.

Also, Durham asks for AAB, whereas Brighton asks for ABB.

What would you guys recommend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending