The Student Room Group

Which is better, A-level English Literature or Language?

I want to pick a A-level English subject for my A2. I am interested in either subject, I'd say I was better at literature though. I am predicted a B for English overall but my teacher tells me that my literature essays would be worth A/A* if I worded some of it differently.
Also, is one more demanding than the other(such as reading a lot of books, I know you have to read books but I'm wondering about the quantity)?

Thank you!
I think it would be useful to know what you're aiming at for uni.
Reply 2
Original post by BitWindy
I think it would be useful to know what you're aiming at for uni.

Sorry, I forgot to put it.

I would like to go medical school. The other A-levels I am doing are; biology, chemistry and psychology.
Literature is much more demanding but universities regard it more highly (and it keeps your options open more) plus it's just generally better

Says the Literature student
Reply 4
I'm doing AS English Lit, but not Language. I didn't really like language at GCSE though, I found it a bit boring in comparison and my favorite part of English is the actual literature and poetry. A girl in my English class is doing both, and I think I remember her saying she prefers Literature. My friend is doing Language and she doesn't like it (But I don't think she actually liked the subject in the first place when she chose it :confused: )
Having done both at A level and now studying an English language degree, I am going to fight my instincts and say that for your uni choice, literature would probably be best, but it is more demanding.

I don't think I read a thing for English language, and the method of work is more scientific, in that you can follow frameworks etc, whereas with lit a lot more time goes into content,structure and flourish of the essays. Also I find in general terms of learning, lit gives you a worldwide/full scope perspective on things and lang teaches you to extract and analyse.
Literature is more respected and I don't actually find it very demanding although you have to be a very fluent writer. You don't have to read a lot of books. I read 6 texts for AS last year, the hardest of which was still relatively easy. However, A2 deals with more complicated texts and you have to grapple with literary theory which can be a bit boring. Maybe take it as a fourth subject but drop it if you feel it is too time consuming. The coursework can be a bit of a drag tbh
Our school doesn't offer English Language... Personally, I would choose English Lit (which I am planning to!). It just seems more interesting tbh
Reply 9
I was going to take combined literature/language but it wasn't available as a A2 course so I decided on taking Literature. Thank you for all the replies!

Quick Reply

Latest