The Student Room Group

Broke up with GF, but spending as much time with her as before.. is this bad?

I broke up with my girlfriend recently because I had completely lost sexual feelings for her. She still loves me a lot, but we kind of made a mutual decision about the breakup since she agreed that it wasn't working properly. I never had any issues spending time with her, but I just wasn't really attracted to her properly - you know the kinda relationship that starts from a friendship.

Anyways, when we broke up she asked if we can still be friends. I agreed and told her that I want to be friends but will do whatever is going to be easiest for her, either be friends or cut contact - she chose to be friends.

Now it seems that we are still spending as much time together as before. This isn't bothering me at all, but I'm wonderin if it's bad for her? I'm worried especially about any future scenarios, e.g. if I'd have to tell her "sorry I can't see you today, I've got a date" "or sorry we need to stop seeing, because i have a new girlfriend now and she get's jealous about me seeing my ex".

What do you think?
For her sake, i'd say its time to spend time apart.

She can't get over you if she loves you and is spending time with you.
I've been in a similar situation, only the other way around. My advice would be to always be honest and slowly distance yourself and spend less time together. Sugar coating the truth may give her false hope of things working again. Personally I think you've made the wrong decision. You could have explored alternatives such as no longer being in a monogamous relationship: where you can sleep with someone you find sexually attractive and she gets to be with someone she loves and cares about. Presumably you care about her and you find her personality attractive?

I know exactly how it feels to be in love with someone who used to feel the same way but wants to move on. It's horrendous and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. If you're OK with being a friend then be a good friend and support her as much as a friend can.
Reply 3
whats wrong with just being friends.
Reply 4
She will never get over you if you are still there as a constant reminder.
Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Quick Reply

Latest