The Student Room Group

Anyone Doing A Foundation Year?

An earlier post has left me with wanting to do a science foundation year at manchester university in hope to study physics the year after.

I want to know weather it compares to doing a degree? and studying as a university student.
Are you as included in the university, or do you feel like a little odd and out of place?
In terms of living away, are you allowed to stay in the halls and attend different societies or is it a lot like a-level?
For the study do you use the facilities as much as other students or do you find yourself again studying in a way similar to a-level.

Sorry for being so specific but I'm open to any answers. :smile:
Thanks
Hello, I did a foundation year last year at LJMU.
To answer your questions is does solely depend on each university, the majority of foundation years I've found are taught at the university and so as such you are a university student, you are able to live in halls and you don't miss out on student life, we used the same facilities as the degree students on our course. Find out if the foundation year at Manchester is taught at the university or if it's taught at a college, if it is the latter then my experiences do not apply.
I've got a few friends who did the foundation year at Manchester.

Foundation year students are treated in the exact same way as other freshers - you're guaranteed a place in halls, study in the same buildings, have lectures, seminars and lab work, are taught by most of the same lecturers and can get involved with societies and all the other social activities. It very definitely feels like uni rather than an extension of college. The only difference between you and other students is the course content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending