The Student Room Group

Law a level?

Hi,

I would like to become a lawyer. Would it be best if I did Law A level or should I choose a variety of A levels excluding Law A level. Also I am aware Law A level is not compulsory.
Original post by _aishahxo_
Hi,

I would like to become a lawyer. Would it be best if I did Law A level or should I choose a variety of A levels excluding Law A level. Also I am aware Law A level is not compulsory.

Hi

If law a level is available at your college, then personally I would advise doing it, as it will make talking about the subject in your personal statement a lot easier, and look good.
Reply 2
Original post by mobbsy91
Hi

If law a level is available at your college, then personally I would advise doing it, as it will make talking about the subject in your personal statement a lot easier, and look good.

I have to disagree with this... firmly!

Law is considered a "soft" subject by many universities and admissions tutors have spoken against it. It provides a very superficial account of law, according to them.

It won't hinder your chances per se, but I'd advise going for more traditional subjects.
Reply 3
Depends on where you want to go to uni... I think it's on LSE's blacklist, but is fine at other RG's like Manchester.
The a level isn't as easy as it used to be so unis are more accepting of it now. I would advise taking it with at least 2 traditional subjects if you do though. I personally enjoy it the most out of all my a2 subjects :smile:
Hi,

Most universities say it neither helps or hinders if you do Law A level. While it does let you know whether you enjoy the subject or not, I'd advise against taking it. It's often on a university's non-preferred list (you shouldn't really take more than one subject from these lists, which typically include Media/Business Studies, ICT etc.), and some say it provides a false impression for university - as in, people think they know everything whole each uni course starts from the very beginning.

If you're not sure whether law is right for you, and you're not taking another 'soft' subject, then take it. But otherwise don't - the percentage of Law students at Oxford who did the A level is very, very low, for example.
Reply 5
Hi,

Thank you guys! I want to take Government and politics, Sociology and Psychology. I do want to go too university. Or I am considering doing Media as the fourth subject..
Is this a good combination?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,

What do you mean by 'best'? It's a serious question - what exactly are you hoping that doing law A-level might achieve for you?
Hi,

Thank you guys! I want to take Government and politics, Sociology and government and politics. I do want to go too university. Or I am considering doing Media as the fourth subject..
Is this a good combination?

The rule of thumb is to do whatever A-levels you think you could get the best grades in. Within reason.

Also, you seem to have 'government and politics' written twice...
Reply 8
It's fine if you combine it with at least 2 traditional subjects (history, English Lit, languages, geography, Sciences, Maths etc) otherwise you risk weakening your application if you are looking to go to a "top" university. If you are looking at ex Polys then it will matter a less. Its worth noting that law A level is offered far more by state schools than independent schools.

This is quite interesting:

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/what-do-universities-really-think-about-a-level-law
Reply 9
Original post by TurboCretin
What do you mean by 'best'? It's a serious question - what exactly are you hoping that doing law A-level might achieve for you?

This is not the answer to my question?
This is not the answer to my question?

I know it isn't - I don't know how to answer your question. I am trying to elicit further information from you about what you mean so that I can give you a good answer.
Reply 11
Original post by TurboCretin
I know it isn't - I don't know how to answer your question. I am trying to elicit further information from you about what you mean so that I can give you a good answer.

Don't worry I have the answer to my question.

Quick Reply

Latest