The Student Room Group

Do other girls experience this at the gym?

So I made the mistake of going to the gym at peak time today. Naturally there was a lot of people everywhere and a load of guys in the free weights area. I walked over and I swear every guy in that area looked at me as if I had 8 heads or something. It was ridiculous. They didn't deter me or anything but I was just like, "What is your problem?"

Anyway, do other girls get this or is it just the norm in Wales?

And does it piss you off?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Holby_fanatic
So I made the mistake of going to the gym at peak time today. Naturally there was a lot of people everywhere and a load of guys in the free weights area. I walked over and I swear every guy in that area looked at me as if I had 8 heads or something. It was ridiculous. They didn't deter me or anything but I was just like, "What is your problem?"

They probably weren't happy that you were using the equipment and thought you were wasting time.
Original post by Black Cat
They probably weren't happy that you were using the equipment and thought you were wasting time.

I wasn't even using anything that they were using. They were all clearly strong men and I was there with my ****ty (in comparison) weights. If anything, I was annoyed at them because they were taking up the squat racks and that was one of the things I really wanted to use today.
Yeah it's a Welsh thing... but i'm a guy and I have the same problem. They just can't help but look when you have dat ass. I feel your pain
I wasn't even using anything that they were using. They were all clearly strong men and I was there with my ****ty (in comparison) weights. If anything, I was annoyed at them because they were taking up the squat racks and that was one of the things I really wanted to use today.

I hate it when guys take all the weights for themselves and then spend ages using them, this is why you should go when it is quiet.
I hate it when guys take all the weights for themselves and then spend ages using them, this is why you should go when it is quiet.

Never again will I try to do weights on a Thursday evening. Thursdays are now reserved for cardio. :tongue:

Maybe you are still fat
Maybe you are doing it wrong
Maybe you are very clumsy

Or all 3 ya kno

Hi! I am also a female gym-goer in Wales :biggrin: All the watchers or whatever they're called give everyone funny looks when they're using the weights, at least in my experience anyway... But I think this is the thing everywhere, not just Wales...
Never experienced this. Everyone just gets on with their own thing, and there's usually one or two other girls in the weights are when I'm about anyway. I don't think anyone still buys the "weights room is for the big boys" mentality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never had it really. Or maybe I just don't notice it. Tbh I look very unattractive (mens t shirts covered in sweat anyone?) in the gym and not at all sexy or feminine so there's not much to look at. I've only had a few comments said to me, two being positive and another which was something about girls shouldn't lift weights and this was a men only zone.. Or some other stupid remark. Other than that I'm generally left in peace. Don't let it put you off, get good enough so you squat more than them.

Ps. I also went to gyms in Wales but these were uni gyms so maybe not representative?
(edited 9 years ago)

I find it feels like everyone's looking at you the whole time in the gym but that's because I'm quite self-conscious. It will be different for girls, I'm sure, but generally I think most people are focussed on what they're doing and don't care too much so long as it doesn't inconvenience them. I feel the eyes of the room on me every time I reduce the weight significantly from what the last person had been doing.

Tell them don't waste my time nanana:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Tell them don't waste my time nanana:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Move bitch :tongue:
I respect a girl who will use free weights next to me. Shows confidence. If they are staring, ignore them. Eventually they'll just accept you.

Stay strong.

Jeff
Not a girl, but they stare at me also too. In my case, I guess it's because I have a terrible physique. They're like "what is that fat (effeminate?) guy doing in our (manly?) area".

Not sure if this is possible in your gym Holby, but at mine some ppl take the weights they need to use over to a different area.
Secretly you girls love it. I have often caught girls checking to see if im looking at them.
Reply 16
Original post by Limpopo
Secretly you girls love it. I have often caught girls checking to see if im looking at them.

Nah looking is ok but staring is creepy and personally makes me feel paranoid whenever I'm in the gym
I'm sorry I was too busy thinking like a guy. When I saw this thread I thought it was when I went to the gym and a pillow fight broke out.I was going to call Vivid Entertainment.
Just go to an all girls gym.
Original post by emobambam
I'm sorry I was too busy thinking like a guy. When I saw this thread I thought it was when I went to the gym and a pillow fight broke out.I was going to call Vivid Entertainment.

Pillow fight? Where did the pillows come from lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest