The Student Room Group

Crushing hard on a girl

I've only known her for 22 days. I don't understand why I've developed such a strong crush on her. At random times during lectures, seminars, at home, walking, on the bus, eating, she just pops into my head and I smile like an idiot. I don't see her every single day but whenever I do it feels like my life has gotten better if only for the few hours I spend with her. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop feeling this way?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just don't squash her or your next stop could be court.
Give her a box of milk chocolates everyday so she becomes hideously fat. Crushing on fat peeps is impossibro
Reply 3
Original post by nohomo
Just don't squash her or your next stop could be court.

I was tempted to put a picture of something getting crushed but i didn't know how :frown:
It's all psychological, she's been associated to happiness so whenever you think about her you smile (dopamine is possibly being released)
More you think about her, more it makes you happy ( more dopamine released), you think you're in love but really that's bull****
Try to Associate her with something else or stop thinking about her as much by keeping yourself busy
Alternatively, move to her n ask her out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
yeah thats pretty common. dont act on it. do nothing, say nothing.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've only known her for 22 days. I don't understand why I've developed such a strong crush on her. At random times during lectures, seminars, at home, walking, on the bus, eating, she just pops into my head and I smile like an idiot. I don't see her every single day but whenever I do it feels like my life has gotten better if only for the few hours I spend with her. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop feeling this way?

Right, are you really looking for a way to get out of this feeling or do you just not know what exactly you are experiencing? If you really have a crush on her this badly then why are you just leaving it at that? Why would you rather get rid of the feeling than actually try and make something come of this?

Approach her, make small-talk, try and become her friend and make her laugh, but introduce the odd bit of flirting here and there to lessen the risk of the friendzone. I'd say if she makes you feel this way then it's worth a try. The easiest way to get a girl feeling the same way as you is learning how she speaks and adapting how you speak to suit, make her laugh as much as possible by figuring out her sense of humour through conversation that doesn't have to be subject-specific as long as you keep talking to her without her obviously not wanting to talk back.Find out what she's into and think about things you have in common then put more focus on these things in future conversation.

If you can make her laugh and catch then keep her attention she'll slowly start feeling the same way if she is attracted to you physically. She'll start sharing the same thoughts, smiling thinking about your conversations, wanting to talk to you as much as you want to talk to her. And then it's basically subtly asking her to hang out more, do a wider range of things than just boring going for a coffee and it leads on and on.

I hope I haven't just completely got the wrong end of the stick cus it is late, but yeah don't just try and forget about her if she makes you feel this way because gut feelings are quite often good indicators. If i am explaining something completely unrelated then ignore this hahaha
Reply 7
Original post by Darab_1496
It's all psychological, she's been associated to happiness so whenever you think about her you smile (dopamine is possibly being released)
More you think about her, more it makes you happy ( more dopamine released), you think you're in love but really that's bull****
Try to Associate her with something else or stop thinking about her as much by keeping yourself busy
Alternatively, move to her n ask her out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I know I'm not in love jesus christ.
Reply 8
Original post by hutch3572
Right, are you really looking for a way to get out of this feeling or do you just not know what exactly you are experiencing? If you really have a crush on her this badly then why are you just leaving it at that? Why would you rather get rid of the feeling than actually try and make something come of this?

Approach her, make small-talk, try and become her friend and make her laugh, but introduce the odd bit of flirting here and there to lessen the risk of the friendzone. I'd say if she makes you feel this way then it's worth a try. The easiest way to get a girl feeling the same way as you is learning how she speaks and adapting how you speak to suit, make her laugh as much as possible by figuring out her sense of humour through conversation that doesn't have to be subject-specific as long as you keep talking to her without her obviously not wanting to talk back.Find out what she's into and think about things you have in common then put more focus on these things in future conversation.

If you can make her laugh and catch then keep her attention she'll slowly start feeling the same way if she is attracted to you physically. She'll start sharing the same thoughts, smiling thinking about your conversations, wanting to talk to you as much as you want to talk to her. And then it's basically subtly asking her to hang out more, do a wider range of things than just boring going for a coffee and it leads on and on.

I hope I haven't just completely got the wrong end of the stick cus it is late, but yeah don't just try and forget about her if she makes you feel this way because gut feelings are quite often good indicators. If i am explaining something completely unrelated then ignore this hahaha

Probably forgot to mention I'm already friends with her. I know she isn't and never will be wanting anything more, that's why I'm just trying to get rid of the crush, so I can talk without worrying I might accidentally suggest what I'm feeling.
Reply 9
Probably forgot to mention I'm already friends with her. I know she isn't and never will be wanting anything more, that's why I'm just trying to get rid of the crush, so I can talk without worrying I might accidentally suggest what I'm feeling.

How do you know she isn't and never will? No relationships miss out the initial stage as friends, these things take time and patience. By the sounds of it you haven't given her any indication of how you feel so she wouldn't know any different than to carry on treating you as a friend as she has no idea you feel differently. Just stay friends with her and stay as close as possible, make her laugh and see where it goes cus 20 odd days isn't very long at all to have been talking.

If you really are determined to get rid of the feeling, I'd at least tell her how you feel, you might have to explain it more than once cus girls tend to be slow at realising guys like them. If she's not a d***, the worst she will do is let you down gently or say she's not ready for anything. Then at least you've got it off your chest. But then if you do carry on trying to be friends it may get hard for you. You will have to keep an open mind and find someone else to take your mind off her, but tbh from experience time is a healer and eventually your feelings fade as your mind accepts you're just friends. It's just the present that is the worst to deal with
I think deep down you know what to do. if she is not that special then yes you will be able to forget about her in due time but if not.. go for it YOLO :-p
Aw man I wish someone felt this way about me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hutch3572
How do you know she isn't and never will? No relationships miss out the initial stage as friends, these things take time and patience. By the sounds of it you haven't given her any indication of how you feel so she wouldn't know any different than to carry on treating you as a friend as she has no idea you feel differently. Just stay friends with her and stay as close as possible, make her laugh and see where it goes cus 20 odd days isn't very long at all to have been talking.

If you really are determined to get rid of the feeling, I'd at least tell her how you feel, you might have to explain it more than once cus girls tend to be slow at realising guys like them. If she's not a d***, the worst she will do is let you down gently or say she's not ready for anything. Then at least you've got it off your chest. But then if you do carry on trying to be friends it may get hard for you. You will have to keep an open mind and find someone else to take your mind off her, but tbh from experience time is a healer and eventually your feelings fade as your mind accepts you're just friends. It's just the present that is the worst to deal with

I can just tell. I'm 100% sure she isn't + never will be, so rather than create an awkward few days/weeks with her I figure I'll not tell her and wait for the time is a healer bit thing to take action. If time doesn't heal then I'm really in the ****ter
Cute. :ahee:
Ahh, just seen that you're already friends with her. :indiff: In that case, I would implore you to resist confessing your feelings for her. UNLESS, you are absolutely certain that she feels the same back. :moon: To confess your feelings leaves you feeling vulnerable, stoopid, worthless, and leaves your emotions at their mercy. Also, it will probably ruin your friendship and make things awkward as heck. :h:

Stamp out your feelings (try to see her less, reduce contact as much as you can, etc) before it gets stronger and save yerself. :puppyeyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
Cute. :ahee:
Ahh, just seen that you're already friends with her. :indiff: In that case, I would implore you to resist confessing your feelings for her. UNLESS, you are absolutely certain that she feels the same back. :moon: To confess your feelings leaves you feeling vulnerable, stoopid, worthless, and leaves your emotions at their mercy. Also, it will probably ruin your friendship and make things awkward as heck. :h:

Stamp out your feelings (try to see her less, reduce contact as much as you can, etc) before it gets stronger and save yerself. :puppyeyes:

I'd rather not see her less, we have a couple friends in common so I'll see her quite often and I won't just reject these friends to get over a crush. I might lose them as well! Plus there's that saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder". I was thinking if I spend more time around her, I'll see some flaw she has that is a complete deal breaker. The flip side is that if I can't find one of these, it's likely feelings will grow. It's a risk, but I'll have to take it. I just want to know if there's some other method I can do with my own mind to get rid of it, not avoiding her.
Yeah, I never for a moment considered telling her, "awkward as heck" does not do the awkwardness justice!
I'd rather not see her less, we have a couple friends in common so I'll see her quite often and I won't just reject these friends to get over a crush. I might lose them as well! Plus there's that saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder". I was thinking if I spend more time around her, I'll see some flaw she has that is a complete deal breaker. The flip side is that if I can't find one of these, it's likely feelings will grow. It's a risk, but I'll have to take it. I just want to know if there's some other method I can do with my own mind to get rid of it, not avoiding her.
Yeah, I never for a moment considered telling her, "awkward as heck" does not do the awkwardness justice!

Mhmm. :frown: It's not easy cutting people out, but sometimes we must make the choice between what is right, and what is easy. :moon: But anyway, you don't have to reject your other friends! Just ... don't make an effort to see your crush as much.
That could happen. But if you fall for her even more ... ? :sad:
Haha I know. Don't ever ever tell a friend you have feelings for them!! :nooo:
Mhmm. :frown: It's not easy cutting people out, but sometimes we must make the choice between what is right, and what is easy. :moon: But anyway, you don't have to reject your other friends! Just ... don't make an effort to see your crush as much.
That could happen. But if you fall for her even more ... ? :sad:
Haha I know. Don't ever ever tell a friend you have feelings for them!! :nooo:

Have you ever told a friend you had feelings for them?

I have but it depends on the girl. Usually if you know each other really well and have a strong friendship the worst she will do is let you down gently and carry on as normal or talk it over with you in a light hearted way. But if youre not so close or shes a bit insecure herself then it could make her go a little funny. The easiest way to get over a girl is usually to find someone else to move on to but it's a lot easier said than done unless you're always coming into contact with attractive girls who are just as nice and approachable. It sucks man

Yes :indiff: Don't do it.
Yes :indiff: Don't do it.

What happened?
Also, has anyone said it TO you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending