The Student Room Group

A levels. Somebody please help

After completing my GCSEs, I decided to pick Maths Economics and Physics (+compulsary Citizenship) and a plan to do Further Maths AS in my A2 year. However, I struggled with physics, dropped it and sort of rushed into a decision to do philosophy/philosophy and ethics/R.S. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about this and how good the choice is as part of 3 main A levels. So, Iv'e thought of the idea to pick up Spanish or English Literature (and not drop anything). I got a very high A in Spanish GCSE and really enjoyed it. I got a B in literature (A in language) but with absolutely no effort (didn't like the teacher either) and didn't even read any of the books. At uni, I want to do either an Economics degree, Law degree or even a maths degree if i do well in the FM and maths. A russel group is my aim and I want to go to the best uni I possibly can. So, is it too late to pick up one of these subjects and is either worth doing?? Would I be able to catch up this late? It really doesn't help that I'm a very indecisive person. I know that Spanish is really well-recieved by admissions tutors for any degreeand obviously literature would be getting close to essential for law at uni. What would you do in my position?? If it might help in my GCSEs I obtained (2 A*s 4As 3Bs and a C) Lastly, I like the idea of english lit because of the 40% coursework factor - I do really well in them generally. Somebody please help me out..??? And lastly if doing said 4 As's become too much I would probably drop philosophy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
helpppppppppp
Reply 2
..!
Reply 3
helppp
Reply 4
somebody?
The question is will you be able to catch up?
Personally, I wouldn't risk changing a subject now... From what I understand you're doing philosophy now and want to change that? Don't. There is a lot of work for all subjects and you really don't want to be playing "catch up" a month into your AS's. If you're worried about how philosophy looks on a UCAS app for a top uni, You shouldn't. If you get top grades in all your subjects then you have as good as a chance as anyone really. In contrast, if you change now for a "better" subject, having to catch up could seriously affect all your grades and then you wont end up at a top uni.
Think about it, let me know what you decide. :biggrin: hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally would do Spanish, but it depends what grade you're aiming for.. Universities like candidates to have a language no matter what course, so this seems like a good option if you are undecided on a course. However, you mentioned that you were considering doing Law at Uni, in which case unis also like people who have done English but I wouldnt recommend it if you didnt try at GCSE because it is a subject you really need a good foundation in. Furthermore they like Economics just as much and you are already doing that so should be covered. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
So general consensus is stick?
Original post by yesyesyesno
So general consensus is stick?

What's Citizenship like?
Original post by elmosandy
What's Citizenship like?

meh. easy dont do it unless your forced to or as a 5th AS

Quick Reply

Latest