The Student Room Group

CV! No Work Experience! Help!?!

[Warning Long Post - Also sorry if this is in the wrong place]

Hello there,

i plan on getting a temporary christmas job, but i need some help with my CV, any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I'm having trouble writing about my year 10 work experience, as this is all the experience i have :frown:

i read that its okay to 'stress' the work experience you did especially if you didn't do much like i did.
anyways i took part in this waltz programme, which was two weeks long but i only attended 3 days of the programme, as it was more about touring businesses and not actually working in them, which took the piss considering the places we visited :angry: i.e. mercedez benz, hilton hotel, geffrye museum etc.

well one of the places they supposedly went to (well were meant to go) was a virgin active gym, i thought i'd 'theoretically' write about the stuff i'd have done if i actually did work experience there, but i want to link all the things i'd have done to skills wanted by employers within retail specifically for stores like (superdrug, boots, argos, toysrus etc.)

here's what i've written so far...

Work Experience
Waltz Programme Virgin Active
2 Weeks

assisted trainers with work out whether it was taking over, being used for a demonstration or handing out and packing away equipment.

dealt with members queries at the desk and over the phone developed strong communication skills, having to clearly explain and engage with customers to ensure they understand.

kept areas tidy, including pools, cleaning up litter, mopping and sweeping floors to maintain…

had to persuade people to sign up for gym members who weren’t already…

handed out flyers in gym and outside gym (within the area) to attract new members to visit and join gym.

assisted in health assessments for members with trainers.

built work relationships.

can anybody help...please? :frown:
Sorry I'm not sure I've got this clear, did you actually do those things in the 2 weeks or would you have done if you were there for more than 3 days?
Original post by pink.flamingo
Sorry I'm not sure I've got this clear, did you actually do those things in the 2 weeks or would you have done if you were there for more than 3 days?

work experience at my school was for two weeks. i got put on this waltz programme with people who werent very bright or behaved very well in school, all because i didn't find a placement in time. i ended up doing 3 days of work experience simply because like i said above we didn't do any work we were just given tours and lectured and didn't want to waste my time doing another 7 days of pointless sh**. the three days that i did do the programme we to the places i mentioned hilton hotel, mercedes benz and geffrye musem. they were meant to go to virgin active but they didn't i didn't go to the programme on this day. is this any clearer? :redface:
I get it now, sorry about that :smile:

If I were you I wouldn't mention the virgin active thing if you didn't actually do it as this could be a talking point for an interview that you would then have to lie about even more. Also they may expect you to demonstrate some of your skills/go into detail about how you did those things which could be a bit awkward if you've not done them before. As the saying goes don't lie on your cv.

Saying that you could write about the days you did go to, I mean they're recognisable names so that may make a cool talking point. You could say it allowed an insight into reputable companies or something like that. Just because it was a bad experience it doesn't mean you can't convey it as a good one :smile:
I get it now, sorry about that :smile:

If I were you I wouldn't mention the virgin active thing if you didn't actually do it as this could be a talking point for an interview that you would then have to lie about even more. Also they may expect you to demonstrate some of your skills/go into detail about how you did those things which could be a bit awkward if you've not done them before. As the saying goes don't lie on your cv.

Saying that you could write about the days you did go to, I mean they're recognisable names so that may make a cool talking point. You could say it allowed an insight into reputable companies or something like that. Just because it was a bad experience it doesn't mean you can't convey it as a good one :smile:

thank you so much :smile:

also, my mum works as a hairdresser not a professional one, just something she does in our house over the weekends to earn extra money. could i use this in my cv, make up something like... 'volunteered at family's hairdressers' :redface:and write about what i'd do and skills i learned?

i literally have 0 work experience and this is the last thing i can think of :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cathzeta10
thank you so much :smile:

also, my mum works as a hairdresser not a professional one, just something she does in our house over the weekends to earn extra money. could i use this in my cv, make up something like... 'volunteered at family's hairdressers' :redface:and write about what i'd do and skills i learned?

i literally have 0 work experience and this is the last thing i can think of :frown:

You could do, my mum's a primary school teacher and I helped out there for a week and wrote about it. That way you could talk about interacting with customers as well as not being afraid to do get your hands dirty and getting involved (I'm assuming you'd have to sweep hair etc).

Another thing I wrote about was helping out at summer fairs where I was talking to people and handling money etc. Any little things like that are useful to put in, even if you've forgotten about doing them, it can show experience some way or another. Have you done DofE or Young Enterprise or something?

I'm assuming you're at college so you could also write about your GCSE grades and the subjects you're taking now and what sort of skills they've given you.

But I wouldn't worry too much if it's a part time job, if you are at college they won't expect you to have much work experience anyway. In the interviews I had before my job the most important thing seemed to personality and whether you'd fit into their team so that's the most important thing to put across. Don't just make it a generic list of what you've done, write it as you'd say it :smile:
You could do, my mum's a primary school teacher and I helped out there for a week and wrote about it. That way you could talk about interacting with customers as well as not being afraid to do get your hands dirty and getting involved (I'm assuming you'd have to sweep hair etc).

Another thing I wrote about was helping out at summer fairs where I was talking to people and handling money etc. Any little things like that are useful to put in, even if you've forgotten about doing them, it can show experience some way or another. Have you done DofE or Young Enterprise or something?

I'm assuming you're at college so you could also write about your GCSE grades and the subjects you're taking now and what sort of skills they've given you.

But I wouldn't worry too much if it's a part time job, if you are at college they won't expect you to have much work experience anyway. In the interviews I had before my job the most important thing seemed to personality and whether you'd fit into their team so that's the most important thing to put across. Don't just make it a generic list of what you've done, write it as you'd say it :smile:

Never done dofe or anything extra curricular.

Kool i'll do that, but i'm not in college anymore, which is why i really need a job.

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Original post by cathzeta10
N..............

Employers are looking for experience, not necessarily work experience. What you need to do is work out a clear list of skills the employer is looking for, and then work out how you can give evidence of having those skills.

Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day, you generally sleep about 8, spend about 8 in education or work, and have 8 to do with whatever you want/need. If you can't find enough evidence of relevant skills from that time, then your first step is to use the 8 hours you have free, to do something to gain workplace skills. Otherwise, you will remain unemployable.
Original post by threeportdrift
Employers are looking for experience, not necessarily work experience. What you need to do is work out a clear list of skills the employer is looking for, and then work out how you can give evidence of having those skills.

Everyone has the same 24 hours in a day, you generally sleep about 8, spend about 8 in education or work, and have 8 to do with whatever you want/need. If you can't find enough evidence of relevant skills from that time, then your first step is to use the 8 hours you have free, to do something to gain workplace skills. Otherwise, you will remain unemployable.

I get what you mean, thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending