The Student Room Group

What happened to good music?

Scroll to see replies

I listen to Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Genesis and Dream Theater for the most part. I cannot bring myself to enjoy modern chart music because all that is churned out sounds like the product of a money-based industry rather than a creative one. It's just so lazy and samey IMO.
Original post by NadhRah
You do?! Is there any other Germany and Japanese song that you prefer? I wish you can give me that....well, I am too actually try to learn foreign languages via their songs :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look up milky chance! German, however they sing in English haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NHM713
The quality if music has deteriorated at an alarming rate, or maybe an just getting old. I have a real passion for music,but, I'm finding it VERY frustrating when song like anaconda are in the charts and singers these days lack emotion in their music.

share your favourite artists and songs here....and rejoice in decent music once again.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Original post by Emily.97
Couldn't agree with you more.

What music are you into? :smile:
Original post by ChrisLay1
What music are you into? :smile:

hmm.. Indie, Electronic, Reggae.

I tend to go through phases of listening to only one music artist. At the moment its bombay bicycle club :smile:

What about you?
Original post by Emily.97
hmm.. Indie, Electronic, Reggae.

I tend to go through phases of listening to only one music artist. At the moment its bombay bicycle club :smile:

What about you?

Mainly 80's and 90's and just generally the older music. Like The Smiths, Joy Division, R.E.M., INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen and others :smile:
Original post by ChrisLay1
Mainly 80's and 90's and just generally the older music. Like The Smiths, Joy Division, R.E.M., INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen and others :smile:

Cool!! :smile:
Original post by NHM713
The quality if music has deteriorated at an alarming rate, or maybe an just getting old. I have a real passion for music,but, I'm finding it VERY frustrating when song like anaconda are in the charts and singers these days lack emotion in their music.

share your favourite artists and songs here....and rejoice in decent music once again.

Couldn't agree more. This is the main reason for my disliking clubbing, the music is all just booming, repetitive noise. And the charts are full of manufactured crap, with only a few exceptions (in my opinion)... Coldplay are especially ****; the musical equivalent of sitting in a traffic jam on the M25.

- David Bowie
- Billy Joel
- Queen
- Annie Lennox
- Elton John
- Julie Andrews
Original post by NHM713

You're just getting old and a bit narrow minded. Open your mind, explore different genres, listen to songs you haven't before, update the ways you look for music..

If anything there's even more music now that you can listen to than ever before, as it just keeps adding up. There always was a load of rubbish songs. Nobody remembers them any more for a reason.

Pop music is not about producing quality meaningful songs it's a business. Get noticed & make money, produce catchy songs that attract attention good or bad it doesn't matter being in spotlight pays. What is pop now is different than what was pop before.

There's services that can help you find new artists, recommend music based on what you like. Maybe you should change the genre of music you listen to or charts you look at, if anaconda isn't your jam.
Original post by FreshGarbage
Ohh I've been listening to
milky chance - sad necessary album
Robert delong - global concepts
Crystal fighters - follow
Lilly and the something ( I can't remember) - Prayer in C
Someone else I can't remember - riptide
Catfish and the bottle men

Check them out, I need more recommendations from anyone with this kinda music taste

Posted from TSR Mobile

These guys are lovely :h:
Reply 70
I think we are waiting for a band (or bands) to take today's music by the scruff of the neck. Something outrageous to counter the x-factor boy bands and songs about women's behinds. Something to take the formula of punk and change it for today's generation. Hopefully it happens soon as well
Original post by meowoof
Coldplay are especially ****; the musical equivalent of sitting in a traffic jam on the M25.

Cannot agree more. Dilutes the Last.fm Charts literally every week.
There's a method to not hating pop music so much. I try to avoid Top 40 radio and listen to the odd chart hits alongside the stuff I really like, so I don't get too annoyed by the amount of productions by the same producer. There are still artists that I'll never listen to again: One Direction, Will.i.am, Coldplay, Nick Grimbore (the latter isn't a band but I treat him just like one for reasons that has destroyed my life e.g. constant promotion of same acts and of course replacing Chris Moyles).

At the moment, I really love synth, e.g. Chvrches, Eurythmics and music from the synthwave scene like on this show.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HeskeyLAD
These guys are lovely :h:

Someone who likes my kinda music taste???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone who likes my kinda music taste???

Posted from TSR Mobile

My music tastes cover a fairly wide field. I like most music, to a degree. Pop has been going downhill from a youth view in the last two years or so, but there have been good pop songs imo that are released every now and then.

I've known Catfish And The Bottlemen since last year, but only really started to listen to some of their content this year.
Original post by IAmMrDexB
There's a method to not hating pop music so much. I try to avoid Top 40 radio and listen to the odd chart hits alongside the stuff I really like, so I don't get too annoyed by the amount of productions by the same producer. There are still artists that I'll never listen to again: One Direction, Will.i.am, Coldplay, Nick Grimbore (the latter isn't a band but I treat him just like one for reasons that has destroyed my life).

At the moment, I really love synth, e.g. Chvrches, Eurythmics and music from the synthwave scene like on this show.

What's wrong with Coldplay?
What's wrong with Coldplay?

Listen to Chris Martin's bumnotes at the Paralympics for 2 hours, then you'll know the pain I have suffered.
Original post by IAmMrDexB
Listen to Chris Martin's bumnotes at the Paralympics for 2 hours, then you'll know the pain I have suffered.

You don't sound like you've been a fan of them for too long if you give up on them like that!

Have you heard their new album Ghost Stories? It was a new direction for them, I thought it complemented them well.

By new...I meant..
Ohh I've been listening to
milky chance - sad necessary album
Robert delong - global concepts
Crystal fighters - follow
Lilly and the something ( I can't remember) - Prayer in C
Someone else I can't remember - riptide
Catfish and the bottle men

Check them out, I need more recommendations from anyone with this kinda music taste

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi! riptide is by vancejoy.. I love that song :colondollar:
You don't sound like you've been a fan of them for too long if you give up on them like that!

Have you heard their new album Ghost Stories? It was a new direction for them, I thought it complemented them well.

By new...I meant..

Sort of. I heard bits of "Sky Full of Stars". The way he uses the voice: Bleguh! The vocals really do put me off. The nearest I've been to Coldplay in the past year was covers of Magic by Brandy and Yellow by Laura Mvula.

Quick Reply

Latest