The Student Room Group

What happened to good music?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HeskeyLAD
My music tastes cover a fairly wide field. I like most music, to a degree. Pop has been going downhill from a youth view in the last two years or so, but there have been good pop songs imo that are released every now and then.

I've known Catfish And The Bottlemen since last year, but only really started to listen to some of their content this year.

I saw them live! They were amazing. I recommend seeing them before they get to big :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KaylaMary
hi! riptide is by vancejoy.. I love that song :colondollar:

Ah yes! Its been in my head all day :smile:)) so catchy, I like the music video.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreshGarbage
Ah yes! Its been in my head all day :smile:)) so catchy, I like the music video.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha It's a good song! :biggrin:
Original post by IAmMrDexB
Sort of. I heard bits of "Sky Full of Stars". The way he uses the voice: Bleguh! The vocals really do put me off. The nearest I've been to Coldplay in the past year was covers of Magic by Brandy and Yellow by Laura Mvula.

I quite liked it but it wasn't my favourite by any means either. Magic was good, so was Ink, Midnight was a Coldplay that I could never imagine.

Experimentation is a good thing, believe me. Recycling material over and over again won't cut it; some fans enjoy consistent content, some get bored rather quickly (i.e. me). We have to look from the artists point of view, and must understand that creating repetitive material takes the enjoyment away and can have a detrimental effect by all means to make any more.

Unless that is, the lyrics which put you off? Maybe you're more into the performances?
I, ironically, partly blame the internet for the overflow of terrible music in the mainstream. I also blame the X Factor and, most notably, Simon Cowell,

I understand that music is subjective and therefore there is no such thing as 'bad' music, however the mainstream at the moment has nothing to say. Nothing they say/do has a good influence on the intellect. It's ALL about sex and exploitation. No one is reflecting the times, and no one has anything important to perpetuate.
Original post by FreshGarbage
I saw them live! They were amazing. I recommend seeing them before they get to big :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, lovely to hear some who's actually heard them live :biggrin:

Will do, thanks for the recommendation.
It died as soon as the 80's came along and crashed the party.
Reply 87
Original post by Tom78
Tbh it's your ability to delve and find good music that's at fault, no one's forcing you to listen to chart music...

This.

Original post by Manitude
The vast majority of music that is made isn't in the charts. Some of my favourite music ever has been made in the last couple of years.

And this.
Reply 88
Original post by McMicheal
You're just getting old and a bit narrow minded. Open your mind, explore different genres, listen to songs you haven't before, update the ways you look for music..

If anything there's even more music now that you can listen to than ever before, as it just keeps adding up. There always was a load of rubbish songs. Nobody remembers them any more for a reason.

Pop music is not about producing quality meaningful songs it's a business. Get noticed & make money, produce catchy songs that attract attention good or bad it doesn't matter being in spotlight pays. What is pop now is different than what was pop before.

There's services that can help you find new artists, recommend music based on what you like. Maybe you should change the genre of music you listen to or charts you look at, if anaconda isn't your jam.

I like music of all genres, so that's not really the case.
Pop music is about music that is popular. which means it has to do with the majorities vote. what i'm saying is can apply to being able to make a lot of money using something is good e.g talented musicians.
Reply 89
Original post by Johnsta
I think we are waiting for a band (or bands) to take today's music by the scruff of the neck. Something outrageous to counter the x-factor boy bands and songs about women's behinds. Something to take the formula of punk and change it for today's generation. Hopefully it happens soon as well

if we're all waiting, we'll be waiting an awful long time, one of us has got to make a move.
Reply 90
listen to dancehall
Music is doing great in my opinion and most people who don't agree are too lazy to delve deeper into music. There has been some great albums this year so far like Flying Lotus, FKA Twigs, Shabazz Palaces, Sun Kil Moon etc etc. Run the Jewels and Panda Bear just came out with good stuff this week. La Roux's album from this year is a great pop album too! There's also some albums that are truly classics from the last few year like Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel and a lot of Kanye's stuff aswell.

People need to stop complaining about music that they're not apart of the target audience for. If a lot of music in the charts is for people who want to sing along to the songs and not dissect it that's fine!

The music is deteriorating argument is simply ignorant to me.
Reply 92
Original post by sdotd
listen to dancehall

All that bumping and grinding, I listen to it a little bit, not that much though.
Reply 93
Original post by lasagne.killer
Music is doing great in my opinion and most people who don't agree are too lazy to delve deeper into music. There has been some great albums this year so far like Flying Lotus, FKA Twigs, Shabazz Palaces, Sun Kil Moon etc etc. Run the Jewels and Panda Bear just came out with good stuff this week. La Roux's album from this year is a great pop album too! There's also some albums that are truly classics from the last few year like Fiona Apple's The Idler Wheel and a lot of Kanye's stuff aswell.

People need to stop complaining about music that they're not apart of the target audience for. If a lot of music in the charts is for people who want to sing along to the songs and not dissect it that's fine!

The music is deteriorating argument is simply ignorant to me.

It's not about being "lazy" to find good, because I do that anyway. It annoys me that I do have to look to hear good quality music. It annoys that I'm not seeing the artist/s behind them, not being recognised for there talent. I want to see them on TV or hear them on the radio.
Reply 94
Original post by Devel
This.

And this.

Again i do look. it's not about laziness, it's about recognition.
Reply 95
Any Chiraq, Drill or Trap music always satisifes.
Original post by NHM713
It's not about being "lazy" to find good, because I do that anyway. It annoys me that I do have to look to hear good quality music. It annoys that I'm not seeing the artist/s behind them, not being recognised for there talent. I want to see them on TV or hear them on the radio.

That sounds kind of dumb to me. If you want to see interviews and live performances there's always going to be loads on YouTube and you can use the radio function on Spotify or any similar to cater to your taste.
Reply 97
Original post by lasagne.killer
That sounds kind of dumb to me. If you want to see interviews and live performances there's always going to be loads on YouTube and you can use the radio function on Spotify or any similar to cater to your taste.

i'm talking about their music being played on TV and radio.
Original post by NHM713
i'm talking about their music being played on TV and radio.

That't bizarre to me. That's like someone watching BBC for a show that's only on Netflix. Why would the medium of entertain matter? It's just different for different things. No harm.
Original post by NHM713
The quality if music has deteriorated at an alarming rate, or maybe an just getting old. I have a real passion for music,but, I'm finding it VERY frustrating when song like anaconda are in the charts and singers these days lack emotion in their music.

share your favourite artists and songs here....and rejoice in decent music once again.

I'll tell you what happened: this American hiphop bull**** like Lil Wayne and these foster children of his type rappers that come and go. Too many to name. :rolleyes::angry:

I love:

Anything Bob Marley and ska punk. Shine Eye Gal, Steel Pulse, Toots and the Maytals...

I love reggae and ragga rap like Shabba Ranks.

Gregory Isaacs

Vintage folk rock like Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks, but not just them. Patti Smith was cool.

Modern folk like the Script, Damien Rice, David Gray, Sinead O'Connor, anyone who I come across like that.

Classic rock like Prince but not just him. Genesis as well.

Soul like Sade

Brazilian folk like Luisa Maita, she sounds like Sade only in another language.

For the new age stuff, I love anyone who reaches back. M.I.A. really loves punk and ska, and embraces her culture. Her voice is **** but her style is iconic.

This french rap group 1995; their music covers nu jazz, which is what classic hiphop did; it had a more poetic, genuine, pure sound and applied trumpets to it, sooo amazing :sogood:. French songs like this and this

& I love electronica like Crystal Castles, TuneDEF, drum and bass...

I also love oldies like funk and freestyle dance like Amber, Ace of Base, La Bouche, Inner City, Spice Girls...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest