The Student Room Group

What happened to good music?

The quality if music has deteriorated at an alarming rate, or maybe an just getting old. I have a real passion for music,but, I'm finding it VERY frustrating when song like anaconda are in the charts and singers these days lack emotion in their music.

share your favourite artists and songs here....and rejoice in decent music once again.

Scroll to see replies

The 1975
George Ezra Budapest
Eminem headlights
A thousand years Christina Peri
Can't think of any more lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by NHM713
The quality if music has deteriorated at an alarming rate, or maybe an just getting old. I have a real passion for music,but, I'm finding it VERY frustrating when song like anaconda are in the charts and singers these days lack emotion in their music.

share your favourite artists and songs here....and rejoice in decent music once again.

In response to thread title: Elliott Smith died
Reply 3
Tbh it's your ability to delve and find good music that's at fault, no one's forcing you to listen to chart music...
Reply 4
[video="youtube;Pujr23ZA2QU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pujr23ZA2QU[/video]
The vast majority of music that is made isn't in the charts. Some of my favourite music ever has been made in the last couple of years.
I'm just much more a fan of older music. Bands like The Smiths, R.E.M., Joy Division, INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen and more. Not a fan of much current music really.
Reply 7
Original post by toonervoustotalk
The 1975
George Ezra Budapest
Eminem headlights
A thousand years Christina Peri
Can't think of any more lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know George Ezra putting on a voice, he even said it himself, not that I know him like that, it was form an interview he did.
Reply 8
Original post by ChrisLay1
I'm just much more a fan of older music. Bands like The Smiths, R.E.M., Joy Division, INXS, Echo and the Bunnymen and more. Not a fan of much current music really.

Same here, bit of an old soul. love The Who too.
Original post by NHM713
You know George Ezra putting on a voice, he even said it himself, not that I know him like that, it was form an interview he did.

Oh OK
His voice seemed way to deep for a 21 year old lol
I thought he was like 40 till I saw the video and was just baffled about how such a deep voice can cone from such a young guy lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NHM713

If you are judging all music from the pop scene, it is your own ideology of good music deteriorating, not music itself.
Reply 11
Original post by HeskeyLAD
If you are judging all music from the pop scene, it is your own ideology of good music deteriorating, not music itself.

I'm talking about mainstream music. I don't get why record labels are put music like in my initial post.
Reply 12
watch out for new AC/DC record coming out in December and 2015 world tour, who said good music is dead
Original post by NHM713
Same here, bit of an old soul. love The Who too.

Yes them too! :biggrin:
Ohh I've been listening to
milky chance - sad necessary album
Robert delong - global concepts
Crystal fighters - follow
Lilly and the something ( I can't remember) - Prayer in C
Someone else I can't remember - riptide
Catfish and the bottle men

Check them out, I need more recommendations from anyone with this kinda music taste

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChrisLay1

me too, but none of the above music

Re the Op, music industry has re-hashed popular music over the generations , what was edgy 5 years previous became mainstream. by the 2000s we have it seems exhausted all forms of invention and just back to re-hashing of both 90s soul/ dance music and 80s rock music

i blame the youth, they prop up this daft industry
Reply 16
The mainstream market for everything ever is bad because it's more a popularity contest to hit the lowest common denominator than any semblence of excellence in a field.

It's not just music; it's the games industry, film indu- you get the picture.

It's not that music is bad, per se. I mean, a lot of the music being released and hitting the charts isn't meant to be difficult to create or avant-garde. They're catchy nonsense (RE: Nicki Minaj - Anaconda), party bangers (RE: Far East Movement - G6) or pop-culture references given musical form (RE: Chainsmokers - Selfie).

In the sense that "different" music is dead, that'd be a heinous lie. It's just seen as "underground" now.

tl;dr, "good" music was removed from public view because the general public are a pack of lazy people who want instant gratification and want a dumb hook to repeat.
Taylor Swift is hogging it all to herself
Reply 18
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Taylor Swift is hogging it all to herself

Ha
Reply 19
Original post by Meenglishnogood
me too, but none of the above music

Re the Op, music industry has re-hashed popular music over the generations , what was edgy 5 years previous became mainstream. by the 2000s we have it seems exhausted all forms of invention and just back to re-hashing of both 90s soul/ dance music and 80s rock music

i blame the youth, they prop up this daft industry

You're so right.

Quick Reply

Latest