The Student Room Group

Diverse Music Taste

Would love to know if any of you are the same! I listen to pretty much everything. Heavy metal to classical to hip hop to jungle to trap to garage to rock to house ect..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Who's your favourite blacken folk metal band? What about your favourite kraut rock band?

One thing I've noticed is people who claim to have a very wide taste in music generally don't really have as much diversity in their listening habits as they think they do. There will be huge areas of music that you know very little about. There's nothing wrong with that, but trying to claim you listen to a huge range of diverse music is a dubious position to take. There is so much music out there one can't possibly hope to be intimate with even the big players in every single genre.

Take "heavy metal" for example. If you think that listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath et al means you have a diverse taste in metal then I'm afraid you are sorely mistaken.

I spend a lot of time listening to metal music but I can't name all of the subgenres that exist. I can't really profess to be an expert in the subgenres I listen to a lot except perhaps when confined to a specific geographic region.

Sorry to jump down your throat like that, but people claiming to have a diverse music taste is one of my pet peeves. I listen to a lot of music but I know I don't listen to everything - far from it, in fact!
Original post by Manitude
Who's your favourite blacken folk metal band? What about your favourite kraut rock band?

One thing I've noticed is people who claim to have a very wide taste in music generally don't really have as much diversity in their listening habits as they think they do. There will be huge areas of music that you know very little about. There's nothing wrong with that, but trying to claim you listen to a huge range of diverse music is a dubious position to take. There is so much music out there one can't possibly hope to be intimate with even the big players in every single genre.

Take "heavy metal" for example. If you think that listening to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath et al means you have a diverse taste in metal then I'm afraid you are sorely mistaken.

I spend a lot of time listening to metal music but I can't name all of the subgenres that exist. I can't really profess to be an expert in the subgenres I listen to a lot except perhaps when confined to a specific geographic region.

Sorry to jump down your throat like that, but people claiming to have a diverse music taste is one of my pet peeves. I listen to a lot of music but I know I don't listen to everything - far from it, in fact!

Didn't expect such an overbearing reply. I'll let you stay on your pedestal. I didn't ask to be questioned for validity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I listen to a tiny bit of everything depending on my mood but mostly house. Favourite artist from that genre?
Original post by EHZ17
Didn't expect such an overbearing reply. I'll let you stay on your pedestal. I didn't ask to be questioned for validity.

He's hardly on a pedestal, don't hate on a man for knocking you down from your cloud. Trap, house, garage and jungle are only minorly different from each other compared to, say, how different Cheryl Cole and Slipknot are. They can all be labelled under the umbrella term of "electronic" or "instrumental hip-hop" to a degree, so there isn't that much separating them.

To say that heavy metal, classical, and the above sub-genres, when compared to each other respectively, are different is correctly diversive. But if I said I have a diverse music taste because I listen to death metal, black metal, doom, and sludge, then I'd be wrong because those are all sub-genres of the same thing - metal.

I listen to various sub-genres of rock, various sub-genres of metal, various sub-genres of metal, shoegaze, hip-hop, and a little bit of classical. So I have a varied taste as much as you do, but I don't listen to far more than I actually do listen to (ska, reggae, half of what you mentioned, pop, folk, etc).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
He's hardly on a pedestal, don't hate on a man for knocking you down from your cloud. Trap, house, garage and jungle are only minorly different from each other compared to, say, how different Cheryl Cole and Slipknot are. They can all be labelled under the umbrella term of "electronic" or "instrumental hip-hop" to a degree, so there isn't that much separating them.

To say that heavy metal, classical, and the above sub-genres, when compared to each other respectively, are different is correctly diversive. But if I said I have a diverse music taste because I listen to death metal, black metal, doom, and sludge, then I'd be wrong because those are all sub-genres of the same thing - metal.

I listen to various sub-genres of rock, various sub-genres of metal, various sub-genres of metal, shoegaze, hip-hop, and a little bit of classical. So I have a varied taste as much as you do, but I don't listen to far more than I actually do listen to (ska, reggae, half of what you mentioned, pop, folk, etc).

Listen, I didn't want to list every single genre I listen to, what would be the point? I don't understand why this post is getting this kind of reaction. My 'cloud' is just a love of music. I never attack or question other peoples music taste/diversity, it's not like its a contentious subject. You lot need to chill out a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I listen to several genres but some of them are more detailed than others. So while I have a few indie rock albums, I still stay it's part of my taste in music.

I prefer to say that I'm open to virtually any genre rather than a diverse taste in music.
Original post by EHZ17
Listen, I didn't want to list every single genre I listen to, what would be the point? I don't understand why this post is getting this kind of reaction. My 'cloud' is just a love of music. I never attack or question other peoples music taste/diversity, it's not like its a contentious subject. You lot need to chill out a bit.

It irks me when people say that they listen to "pretty much everything" (I heard it a lot in secondary school from teenie boppers who didn't have a clue what they were chatting about), because you can 99% of the time guarantee that they're saying that for the benefit of their ego, not actually because they do actually listen to all genres of music on a regular basis.

It's better this way, as you learn. In the future, if you say that to someone, and their response is "O RLY? What's your favourite 60s psychedelic rock album? Who's your favourite prog band? Do you prefer Van Halen with Hagar or Lee Roth? I can't believe that people actually listen to harsh noise, know what I mean? What decade do you think was the best for reggae? What about shoegaze? DSBM died with Asmodaios, right?" you're not left there fumbling your words because you don't have a ****ing clue what they're on about. We're just trying to stop you from coming off as clueless in a hypothetical future conversation :awesome:

So yes: you have a relatively general diverse music taste. But in reality it's about as diverse as mine. Which is more diverse than the average joe's, but not so diverse I proclaim the diversity of it. Take that as you will.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SecretDuck
I listen to several genres but some of them are more detailed than others. So while I have a few indie rock albums, I still stay it's part of my taste in music.

I prefer to say that I'm open to virtually any genre rather than a diverse taste in music.

I say diversity as there are some there's i don't like

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ndella
I listen to a tiny bit of everything depending on my mood but mostly house. Favourite artist from that genre?

Delakeyz :smile:

Most of my house stuff consists of remixes and individual tracks. Probably makes up the second most amount of music i have, behind hip hop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drunk Punx
It irks me when people say that they listen to "pretty much everything" (I heard it a lot in secondary school from teenie boppers who didn't have a clue what they were chatting about), because you can 99% of the time guarantee that they're saying that for the benefit of their ego, not actually because they do actually listen to all genres of music on a regular basis.

It's better this way, as you learn. In the future, if you say that to someone, and their response is "O RLY? What's your favourite 60s psychedelic rock album? Who's your favourite prog band? Do you prefer Van Halen with Hagar or Lee Roth? I can't believe that people actually listen to harsh noise, know what I mean? What decade do you think was the best for reggae? What about shoegaze? DSBM died with Asmodaios, right?" you're not left there fumbling your words because you don't have a ****ing clue what they're on about. We're just trying to stop you from coming off as clueless in a hypothetical future conversation :awesome:

So yes: you have a relatively general diverse music taste. But in reality it's about as diverse as mine. Which is more diverse than the average joe's, but not so diverse I proclaim the diversity of it. Take that as you will.

I doubt I'll come across people this offended by that post and if I do there will be no extension to that conversation. Why would I bother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you need to listen to "everything" or even most things to have a "diverse" taste in music. Diverse simply means having variety.

I think listening to heavy metal, classical, hip hop, jungle, trap, garage, rock and house would qualify as diverse without any knowledge of "blacken folk metal" or kraut rock.
(edited 9 years ago)
I listen to pop music
Original post by BitWindy
I don't think you need to listen to "everything" or even most things to have a "diverse" taste in music. Diverse simply means having variety.

I think listening to heavy metal, classical, hip hop, jungle, trap, garage, rock and house would qualify as diverse without any knowledge of "blacken folk metal" or kraut rock.

Thanks for seeing my point. I was just trying to find like-minded people and got a load of pretentious and facetious replies :/

Yes I don't listen to everything or 'pretty much' everything. I guess it was poor wording but I honestly didn't expect it to be picked apart to that extent haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
I say diversity as there are some there's i don't like

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant open as in I will try anything once.
Original post by SecretDuck
I meant open as in I will try anything once.

Yeah I guess you don't know you like it until you hear it. It's annoying how some songs seem to grow on me though. I feel like I miss out when I only listen to a song once. It's like over time your perception of the song changes and you hear it differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BitWindy

To me, diversity implies listening to a significant number of the genres available, although my main gripe is with people who claim to listen to "pretty much everything" because only very rarely are they actually being truthful. Listing eight genres, several of which are closely related, doesn't even come close to representing the true diversity of music which is available. Just because the average Joe listens to a couple of things doesn't mean that listening to a few more is anything remarkable. As Drunk Punx mentioned, we're trying to help the OP avoid a situation where someone who really does listen to a lot of different types of music doesn't show him up. Neither of us claim to have particularly diverse tastes because, at least in my case, I am aware of many more genres that I don't listen to and I know people who really do listen to a lot of stuff.

(Also, this is my mistake not yours, but I meant to say "blackened folk metal" rather than "blacken". It's really rather good stuff)
To me, diversity implies listening to a significant number of the genres available, although my main gripe is with people who claim to listen to "pretty much everything" because only very rarely are they actually being truthful. Listing eight genres, several of which are closely related, doesn't even come close to representing the true diversity of music which is available. Just because the average Joe listens to a couple of things doesn't mean that listening to a few more is anything remarkable. As Drunk Punx mentioned, we're trying to help the OP avoid a situation where someone who really does listen to a lot of different types of music doesn't show him up. Neither of us claim to have particularly diverse tastes because, at least in my case, I am aware of many more genres that I don't listen to and I know people who really do listen to a lot of stuff.

(Also, this is my mistake not yours, but I meant to say "blackened folk metal" rather than "blacken". It's really rather good stuff)

I did try and put an 'ect.' there, I put the main ones down so others could relate, I probably listen to around 4 or 5 more but if you see in my recent post I did correct myself, stating that I did not realise the catastrophic and diabolical error that I made.

Obviously this is sarcasm. Just because music is made with electronics does not mean they are closely related. It's analogous to saying classical guitar is similar to heavy metal as they both use stringed instruments. Jungle and trap are completely different, trap and house are completely different, garage and hip hop are different. Yes they are made with electronic aid but every song today designed for wider listening is too.

I honestly expected you to ask me my favourite screamo feminist band or some shakespearean play accompaniment. I mean come on...

Thank you so much for 'helping me out'. Before this thread every music conversation I have ever had has been pleasant and smooth going. Never once have I got this reaction. You need to chill and just enjoy music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
I did try and put an 'ect.' there, I put the main ones down so others could relate, I probably listen to around 4 or 5 more but if you see in my recent post I did correct myself, stating that I did not realise the catastrophic and diabolical error that I made.

Obviously this is sarcasm. Just because music is made with electronics does not mean they are closely related. It's analogous to saying classical guitar is similar to heavy metal as they both use stringed instruments. Jungle and trap are completely different, trap and house are completely different, garage and hip hop are different. Yes they are made with electronic aid but every song today designed for wider listening is too.

I honestly expected you to ask me my favourite screamo feminist band or some shakespearean play accompaniment. I mean come on...

Thank you so much for 'helping me out'. Before this thread every music conversation I have ever had has been pleasant and smooth going. Never once have I got this reaction. You need to chill and just enjoy music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad you did eventually correct yourself, but you must surely have thought when you made the thread that there may be someone calling you out on saying your music tastes are diverse?

Correct me if I'm wrong but trap originated from hip hop, did it not?
Heavy metal evolved from rock music in the early/mid 1970s.

There's no need to be defensive about it - I'm not annoyed at you or anything, I'm just highlighting a mistake which could land you in a potentially embarrassing situation in the future (and driving the point home a bit more than necessary).

I can agree to leave it here and enjoy some music though.
I'm glad you did eventually correct yourself, but you must surely have thought when you made the thread that there may be someone calling you out on saying your music tastes are diverse?

Correct me if I'm wrong but trap originated from hip hop, did it not?
Heavy metal evolved from rock music in the early/mid 1970s.

There's no need to be defensive about it - I'm not annoyed at you or anything, I'm just highlighting a mistake which could land you in a potentially embarrassing situation in the future (and driving the point home a bit more than necessary).

I can agree to leave it here and enjoy some music though.

Trap is similar to hip hop, very true. I was disputing the similarities between the electronic music tho. Lesson learnt, albeit slightly unwarranted. Just wanted to hear what others like to listen to. The one friend of mine that is even remotely like me enjoys a good music conversation. We could talk about music for hours, and have. Thought there would be more of those conversations, but fair enough.

Quick Reply

Latest