The Student Room Group

Why do most gyms only ever have one power/squat rack?!

It's like they're doing it on purpose. Surely it's not the most expensive piece of kit? I used to be a member of The Gym group and honestly, the fight for the ONE squat rack with the ONE olympic barbell was enough to put me off going. I'm moving to a new city next month and I've been browsing gyms in the area and even what seem to be the top/most expensive ones only have a crappy squat rack and a smith, no power rack.

I just. Don't. Get. It.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
It's like they're doing it on purpose. Surely it's not the most expensive piece of kit? I used to be a member of The Gym group and honestly, the fight for the ONE squat rack with the ONE olympic barbell was enough to put me off going. I'm moving to a new city next month and I've been browsing gyms in the area and even what seem to be the top/most expensive ones only have a crappy squat rack and a smith, no power rack.

I just. Don't. Get. It.

I would assume that because they are quite bulky they only have one. A smith machine is large and only allows one person to use it at once, though it is very versatile. In the same space you may be able to get a couple of smaller, and cheaper, machines that do similar exercises but allow more people to train at once. I don't get why you'd only have one squatting rack as it's important.
Original post by k9markiii
I would assume that because they are quite bulky they only have one. A smith machine is large and only allows one person to use it at once, though it is very versatile. In the same space you may be able to get a couple of smaller, and cheaper, machines that do similar exercises but allow more people to train at once. I don't get why you'd only have one squatting rack as it's important.

Tbh they should have a second power rack instead of a smith. What is the actual point of a smith? I just don't see why even at "decent" gyms they still only have one, maybe two at a push.
Reply 3
They're expensive number one. Smith machines are great for increasing your weight without a spotter and give you a great clean motion.
1. Expensive

2. Most people won't use them because the majority of gym goers have no clue what they're doing.

3. Most people do the usual curling and bro splits nonsense. They aren't interested in squatting and such.

Smith machines can be useful for specific exercises, but for squats and deadlifts they're damn dangerous because they force you into an anatomically incorrect position, whilst also taking your stabiliser muscles out of the equation, therefore making you weaker. Someone who could squat say 100kg using a smith machine wouldn't be able to do 100kg whilst doing a proper squat.
Original post by Genocidal
1. Expensive

2. Most people won't use them because the majority of gym goers have no clue what they're doing.

3. Most people do the usual curling and bro splits nonsense. They aren't interested in squatting and such.

Smith machines can be useful for specific exercises, but for squats and deadlifts they're damn dangerous because they force you into an anatomically incorrect position, whilst also taking your stabiliser muscles out of the equation, therefore making you weaker. Someone who could squat say 100kg using a smith machine wouldn't be able to do 100kg whilst doing a proper squat.

This 100%

Squats on a smith will ruin your knees, benching - you might as well say goodbye to your rotator cuff
Just seems to be the way in this country, unless you find one of those incredibly rare powerlifting/strongman orientated gyms. There are two out and out hardcore gyms where I live, but even they only have one rack each as they're bodybuilding gyms. One I tried out the other day has 8 oly bars, but only one rack, yet they have space for a smith machine, a seated press rack (with oly bar) and 3 fixed benches, sums up how bad it is really.

I remember when I used to be a member of The Gym, they replaced an entire set of fairly new dumbbells in pretty much perfect condition (2pairs each of 2.5-30kg), with a new set (2 pairs each of 2-30kg) money that could have easily bought a rack, or a second bar etc.
I've somehow lucked out and the gym I go to (in an expensive health club) randomly has both a power rack, squat rack, Smith AND some sort of 3D Smith. It's so rare to have all that especially in a gym that isn't predominantly a weightlifting gym. I think I've been spoilt and will have to get used to waiting for the squat rack again!

In my uni gym I wrote a complaint in the complaints box that there was only one oly bar and as if by magic another appeared. It was great! If only it were that easy at all gyms!
Reply 8
I go to The Gym now and have to say I wasn't expecting what I saw, I bought 10 months membership online because it was cheap, like only £129, and made the stupid mistake of just assuming that the gym would have more than one power rack. To even be able to use it I have to go to the gym at like 7 in the morning or 10 at night, which I don't mind, but it gets quite frustrating. It sort of makes sense why The Gym has no benches (bench racks, Idk the thing that holds the bar when you're benching) same with squat racks I guess, it's a 24/7 gym and if someone comes in at like 3 in the morning when there are no staff and like ****s himself up or something then it would detract from business I guess (Not sure if they'd be liable, prob not)

My old gym was like a small business run by the owner, like a really big powerlifter, he was such a legend, it was like £25 a month, they had 7/8 Olympic bars, a separate room for deadlifts and squats, 3 squat racks and 2 power stations, they had skipping ropes, a boxing bag, climbing ropes, 2 benches and they only had like 2 cardio machines! I stopped going though cause it's like a 40min walk away from me now, prob the biggest mistake I've made in a while...

Original post by JiffyJeff
They're expensive number one. Smith machines are great for increasing your weight without a spotter and give you a great clean motion.

No, Smith machines are useless for everything, they're just a waste of money.
The independent 'bodybuilding' gyms tend to have much better equipment (e.g. more variety and more weight plated machines as opposed to cables), more power racks, benches, heavier dumbbells. They also have hardly any cardio machines, but just enough.

Franchise/chain gyms like DW have really good facilities but are **** for people with bodybuilding/powerlifting goals imo.
Reply 10
3d smith machines are a thing? I'm not sure I can think of anything stupider.

Overall it's a gym culture/fitness industry thing. If it's just people into strength using a rack/bar then there's not enough demand for your average gym to have more than one. You need the bros squatting and the middle aged women doing some free weights after their cardio. Then you just have more people trying to use more racks so I'm not sure the number of them matter anyway, more the use to racks ratios which I think is mostly luck of the gym you find and what time you can go.
Reply 11
In my branch of Pure Gym, they have three squat racks and a Smith machine. I don't really know to say apart from The Gym being poor-quality tbh.
Original post by BKS
3d smith machines are a thing? I'm not sure I can think of anything stupider.

Overall it's a gym culture/fitness industry thing. If it's just people into strength using a rack/bar then there's not enough demand for your average gym to have more than one. You need the bros squatting and the middle aged women doing some free weights after their cardio. Then you just have more people trying to use more racks so I'm not sure the number of them matter anyway, more the use to racks ratios which I think is mostly luck of the gym you find and what time you can go.

Tbh I did like the 3D Smith when I was starting out (I think it's sightly better than a regular Smith as it at least allows forward and backwards motion aswell as up and down) however why a gym would spend money on one over a normal squat rack is beyond me. I can only think it's for safety reasons?
Reply 13
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Tbh I did like the 3D Smith when I was starting out (I think it's sightly better than a regular Smith as it at least allows forward and backwards motion aswell as up and down) however why a gym would spend money on one over a normal squat rack is beyond me. I can only think it's for safety reasons?

I imagine they might think it is for safety reasons because gym staff by default know nothing about lifting
It's not in their interests. Uni gyms fare better because they have more athletes training there. Manchester Aquatics Centre has two squat racks, two power racks, and two Smith machines.
Reply 15
Stops people doing curls in them
Original post by JiffyJeff

So's a forklift.
Because most people don't use them and they take up a lot of space.

My gym has one squat rack and a power cage. In a giant room with two Smith machines, three benches, bunch of plate loaded machines like leg press, another five or so loose benches and DBs up to like 70.

Quick Reply

Latest