The Student Room Group

what leads our society to be so anxiously competitive?

What is it about human nature that encourages this? There are people.who look down upon those who go to ex-polys rather than Russell Group and others who worry that their partner will cheat on them if they meet someone 'better' looking. At the root of this is an obsessive fear of mediocrity, a fear of being bested, as if we are animals fighting each other for food and mates. What makes some people feel this way, what drives Social Darwinism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Riku
What is it about human nature that encourages this? There are people.who look down upon those who go to ex-polys rather than Russell Group and others who worry that their partner will cheat on them if they meet someone 'better' looking. At the root of this is an obsessive fear of mediocrity, a fear of being bested, as if we are animals fighting each other for food and mates. What makes some people feel this way, what drives Social Darwinism?

The answer lies within the eggs and the dangly things between your legs, bababababababa bababababababa
Reply 2
Original post by Riku

Just described yourself..
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MrMango
Just described yourself..
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you like mangoes?
Reply 5
Original post by Riku
Do you like mangoes?

What do you take him for? A misandrist?
Reply 6
Original post by Riku
Do you like mangoes?

no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

See he doesn't have a milligram of misandry in him
Reply 8
Original post by nohomo
See he doesn't have a milligram of misandry in him

Where does this talk about misandry suddenly come from :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Riku
Where does this talk about misandry suddenly come from :s-smilie:

Mango.

Man go

Man must go
Reply 10
Memetic traits passed down from the struggle of previous generations

Doesn't bother me much
With everyone spending time checking their wing mirrors it's easier for people like me to tunnel through the sediment and sneak attack from beneath the dirt like a highly trained attack mole
Capitalism... And ninjas.
It's not just our society.
I guess all animals are competitive - and it's humbling to remember sometimes that we are simply smart animals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by orangem00ns
I guess all animals are competitive - and it's humbling to remember sometimes that we are simply smart animals

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do I explain to my future partner that she too is but an animal primarily governed by primitive survival instinct and as such whatever she feels for me can be over-rode by the right conditions (such as a man with high SMV hence security value?)
Original post by Riku
How do I explain to my future partner that she too is but an animal primarily governed by primitive survival instinct and as such whatever she feels for me can be over-rode by the right conditions (such as a man with high SMV hence security value?)

Here's a thought: don't. say that.
Reply 16
Original post by sherlockfan
Here's a thought: don't. say that.

But it is true and it is true of me too, true of us all, just we don't speak of it overtly nor recognise it unconsciously.

Good knowing you Sherlock :-) :hugs:
Original post by Riku
But it is true and it is true of me too, true of us all, just we don't speak of it overtly nor recognise it unconsciously.

Good knowing you Sherlock :-) :hugs:

whether it's true or not, the fact is that when you get a partner, they will have chosen you over others. think about that. saying to her "oh but you could have someone better" and whining is just going to tell her you're insecure, jealous, obsessive and not ready for a relationship.
Reply 18
Original post by sherlockfan
whether it's true or not, the fact is that when you get a partner, they will have chosen you over others. think about that. saying to her "oh but you could have someone better" and whining is just going to tell her you're insecure, jealous, obsessive and not ready for a relationship.

No ypu don't get it, the only way one can rationalise someone choosing another of X overall value is if everyone uses different value systems and therefore the idea of a social hierarchy is despite what I am told obscene and largely redundant. You know when people said 'improve yourself"? Well I take things literally because I do not.if I am honest understand the sentiment of that phrase :s-smilie:
Original post by Riku
No ypu don't get it, the only way one can rationalise someone choosing another of X overall value is if everyone uses different value systems and therefore the idea of a social hierarchy is despite what I am told obscene and largely redundant. You know when people said 'improve yourself"? Well I take things literally because I do not.if I am honest understand the sentiment of that phrase :s-smilie:

I get it perfectly. You are maddening. Why cant you listen more and whinge a bit less?
Everyone does have different value systems. Whats important to someone is not important to someone else.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest