The Student Room Group

How to get GCSE's after school...

Hey guys, new to this forum. I'm 17 and ''left'' school last year, i was supposed to take my GCSE's in year 11 but my dad got pancreatic cancer and it was a horrible ordeal for me and i ended up going into a state of depression, and ended up not going to school (biggest mistake of my life) so i never got to sit my GCSE's. It's now October and i have absolutely no idea what to do, i know you can do courses and im currently on an adult education course for Math's and English GCSE but it's only 2 days a week and will probably take monts just to get to the tests, although i want atleast 8+ GCSE's...

Any help at all is appreciated :smile:
Are there are sixth form colleges near you that will offer retake courses? It might be a bit too late to join now, but you can start a retake course next year.
Alternatively, you could try teaching yourself the GCSEs and then sitting them at your old school/another centre (they might charge for this), but obviously you wouldn't be able to do any GCSEs with coursework in.
look into sitting them privately as igcses i did that due to illness in year 11 and now im in sixth form doing alevels i did triple sci and geography and history i just bought the text books and printed pastpapers and the spec
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses, i was thinking of studying myself and then paying to sit them, but do they let you sit all GCSE's or just basics (History, Geog, Science,Math, English)? also whats the difference between GCSE and iGCSE?
Reply 4
Hey,

If you are serious and looking (like i did last year) for
genuine help in your history subject, check out edexcelhistory.com coz many students including myself managed to get A and A+ by using the unique notes. They are not long-winded like most of the study notes (no matter how useful) you can get for free on the web.
How many igcse you done privately please..My son is not coping GCSE at the moment..He may need one more year to do the GCSE properly.So I am thinking about skipping one year and do it privately after one year..means more time to prepare..
Original post by FRANCIS JAMES
How many igcse you done privately please..My son is not coping GCSE at the moment..He may need one more year to do the GCSE properly.So I am thinking about skipping one year and do it privately after one year..means more time to prepare..

This thread is really really old, however I might be able to help with your query.

How many GCSEs does he need for what he wants to do afterwards?

My son (home educated) has memory problems from meningitis, and can't cope with too many subjects. He wants to do a BTEC afterwards, and he needs 5 GCSEs including English and Maths at grade 4 or above for his chosen course, so we're sticking with just the minimum required.

He's currently Year 10 and he's doing Biology and Computer Science this year.
Next year in Year 11 he's doing English, Maths, and.... one more. He's torn between Classical Civilisation and Environmental Management at the moment.

Your son doesn't need to do more than the bare minimum to be honest. If he's not coping too well, then reducing his workload may make a massive difference.

Quick Reply

Latest