The Student Room Group

PGCE advice desperately needed!

Hi,

I have a foundation degree in Rural and Countryside Management. That's 2 years worth. Completed back in 2009; I'm 28 now.

I'd love to study a PGCE and I'm aware I need a full degree in a relevant subject.

It's really Primary teaching I'm most interested in. I was planning on completing my degree, or rather transferring what points I have to an Open University Open Degree. The credits I'm able to transfer are decent and I'd get a Honours Degree within a year and a half of studying.

But I've just heard back from University of Ulster that their PGCE Primary course won't accept an Open Degree. That was the only University available in NI as far as I'm aware, for PGCE Primary that didn't require a degree in childhood studies.

I'm currently teaching in China which makes contacting Universities a slow and frustrating process, and I am clueless as to what other direction to take now. Do the ITT courses in England accept an Open Degree? I'd prefer to study within the island of Ireland, but I'd consider Great Britain too.

Any advice? It would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Reply 1
When I was looking into training in England they certainly did accept Open degrees but it needed to be an honours degree (360 credits with 120 at level 3, I think) not an ordinary degree.

However, if you want to teach early primary (The Foundation Stage) then you will need to have studied some child development in your degree, how much I couldn't tell you.

This was a few years ago so I am unsure if they have stopped accepting Open degrees. Your best bet is to contact the Uni direct via email I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blou17
When I was looking into training in England they certainly did accept Open degrees but it needed to be an honours degree (360 credits with 120 at level 3, I think) not an ordinary degree.

However, if you want to teach early primary (The Foundation Stage) then you will need to have studied some child development in your degree, how much I couldn't tell you.

This was a few years ago so I am unsure if they have stopped accepting Open degrees. Your best bet is to contact the Uni direct via email I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea re the open uni degree. However, you do not needed to have studied child development as part of your degree. Of course, it wouldn't hurt at all but it is not a requirement (at most providers - I obviously haven't checked all of them). The vast majority of them require 50% of your degree to be related to a national curriculum. Your degree in Rural and Countryside Management, could count towards Geography.
You may be able to do their BA in social sciences if you did rural and countryside management. You may find that gets slightly less descriminated against. I don't know a lot about primary though, so don't know whether that would be considered 'core curriculum' or not!
Reply 4
Thanks a lot for the help. At least I know which direction to go from here. I'll keep contacting universities in the UK.
You could always do your pgce through the open university too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
You could always do your pgce through the open university too.

Nope.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/media/fullstory.aspx?id=26573
I'm from the ROI and I am starting a PGCE in the UK in September. I don't know about Norn Iron but doing it in the Republic was gonna be the biggest pain in the ass (3 years to do Irish, 2 years to do the masters along with 15k and a massive headache). You'll probably have better luck applying in the UK.
Could you do a BA Ed (primary) with QTS?

If not, perhaps do one without QTS and then you could do a PGCE after. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q94

I do think you need to be able to commit to at least 3 years worth of study before becoming a qualified teacher from this point. Good luck and get experience in British schools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending