The Student Room Group

New TSR search: have your say

Poll

Do you prefer this search tool to our existing search function?

Do you ever use the little search box at the top-right of the page? We're looking at ways to make this on-site search much better and more useful - and one of the things we're considering is replacing it with Google Custom Search.

You can get an idea of how that would look on this test search page. Next time you need to search TSR, please try using this search page and then add a post here to let us know what you think. If lots of people like it, we'll look into properly integrating it into the site.

What we're using here is a simple embed of Google that is targeted specifically at TSR. That means you can use all the usual Google functionality (such as search modifiers) and it also means that the results that are returned are exactly the same as you would get from Google. We do block some of our pages from Google - including member profiles and any content that is only for subscribers (such as learning tools). So you wouldn't be able to find those using this search.

Try the TSR search beta test

quote list

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

it did not actually work
i asked it to find "Illusionary"... all it did was reload the TSR home page.
The test search didn't work.

Also, I do use the normal search function, often, but a lot of the time it just comes up with an error.
Original post by the bear
it did not actually work

Did it take you back to the homepage? Should be working now :smile:
It worked for me though I find it a little scary.

It's quicker and much nicer to read than the current one *ahem* :colondollar: but will it update fast enough or will google need to crawl it for results to appear? :erm:

Also it doesn't look like TSR and that bothers me lol.
Oh my !!

this is splendid :borat:

put it in NOW !!!!!
it did not actually work

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
The test search didn't work.

Also, I do use the normal search function, often, but a lot of the time it just comes up with an error.

Cheers both - in true beta style the test page was having a little wobble.

I've just given it a kick up the backside - you should be able to try it now.
Is there anything wrong with the current one?
could you include an "ignore certain words" capability so we could search for "English poems" but without "Carol Duffy" for instance ?
Original post by Neostigmine
It worked for me though I find it a little scary.

It's quicker and much nicer to read than the current one *ahem* :colondollar: but will it update fast enough or will google need to crawl it for results to appear? :erm:

Also it doesn't look like TSR and that bothers me lol.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested: what do you mean by scary?

It's a good point you make about the speed of updates. You're right that we would have to wait for Google to crawl new pages before they appear. That's something we'd definitely look into in more detail before rolling this out.

Don't worry about the looks - if we were to use this permanently we would properly skin it so that it looks like the rest of TSR.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Is there anything wrong with the current one?

Well, I'd turn that question round to you. Are you happy with the current search? If so, that's great news - but we've had a fair bit of feedback from people who would like to see it improved.
could you include an "ignore certain words" capability so we could search for "English poems" but without "Carol Duffy" for instance ?

in fact it already seems to have one !!

i looked for "hunger"...4000 hits

then "hunger -games"... 2400 hits

:borat:

"imsoacademic" = 92000 hits

"imsoacademic -troll" = 84000 hits

:groovy:
(edited 9 years ago)
in fact it already seems to have one !!

i looked for "hunger"...4000 hits

then "hunger -games"... 2400 hits

:borat:

Yep - you'd be able to use all of the search modifiers that you can use on the main Google search page.
Original post by shooks
Cheers both - in true beta style the test page was having a little wobble.

I've just given it a kick up the backside - you should be able to try it now.
It's certainly more specific in its returns than the current search function is, but an 'advanced search' option is needed too I think, once this one is properly established.
Original post by shooks
Well, I'd turn that question round to you. Are you happy with the current search? If so, that's great news - but we've had a fair bit of feedback from people who would like to see it improved.

Oh, well :colondollar:

It's always fulfilled my needs, but I don't use it too often, so I'm not the best person to answer; perhaps it could be more aesthetically pleasing, and it's gone on the blink a few times.

If the Google one has a more sophisticated search-algorithm (or whatever it's called), then I'd prefer that.
(edited 9 years ago)
"maid marian" = 6330 hits

"marian -maid" = 318 hits

:yay:
Original post by Neostigmine
will it update fast enough or will google need to crawl it for results to appear? :erm:

(btw, we get crawled really frequently. I've just searched for a specific post made only an hour ago, and it's already appearing)
Reply 18
Not bad, the one thing the current search bar is useful for is being able to search results through forum section. ALthough this one is a lot faster and sleeker
I really like the current one, how it splits off into different sections,the way you can narrow down by forum, how the advanced seach can be used for users etc... its just neater and easier to find what you're looking for. The new style, I feel makes it harder to get the information as you have to read through more. I just don't think the "google style" works for TSR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending