The Student Room Group

What can I do with physics, biology, chemistry and psychology/computing A level?

Is this combination too hard: my grades for core and additional so far:
Chemistry: A B
Biology: A* A
Physics: A* A*
I'm doing Further this year,along with everything else and maths. I'm not to strong in maths, which is why I'm not picking it for A level. However, I'm sure I'd get a B.

I haven't done either computing or psychology, so I'm thinking since there is a computing GCSE will I be behind?Which one should I pick? Due to changes if I pick biology chemistry physics and computing/psychology I can't drop them. So please help and give me any advice, how have you found hem etc?
Original post by Questioness
I'm doing Further this year,along with everything else and maths. I'm not to strong in maths, which is why I'm not picking it for A level. However, I'm sure I'd get a B.

I haven't done either computing or psychology, so I'm thinking since there is a computing GCSE will I be behind?Which one should I pick? Due to changes if I pick biology chemistry physics and computing/psychology I can't drop them. So please help and give me any advice, how have you found hem etc?

You shouldn't be behind they should teach the AS course from scratch. You can always study the individual subject so study Biology or Chemistry or Physics or Computing/Psychology. You could study Veterinary Medicine and Medicine (I think). There's Natural Sciences or Biochemistry or other variations of your pure science subjects like that. Probably more, but those are what automatically come to mind so hope that gives some food for thought.
For A-Levels I did AQA Chemistry and Edexcel Physics (to the full A-Level) and of course there are times when it can get challenging and frustrating but ultimately I did enjoy studying them. For AQA Chemistry especially there's a lot of online resources which especially help.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by arcanum96
You shouldn't be behind they should teach the AS course from scratch. You can always study the individual subject so study Biology or Chemistry or Physics or Computing/Psychology. You could study Veterinary Medicine and Medicine (I think). There's Natural Sciences or Biochemistry or other variations of your pure science subjects like that. Probably more, but those are what automatically come to mind so hope that gives some food for thought.
For A-Levels I did AQA Chemistry and Edexcel Physics (to the full A-Level) and of course there are times when it can get challenging and frustrating but ultimately I did enjoy studying them. For AQA Chemistry especially there's a lot of online resources which especially help.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

What do you mean I can study the indivual course, like I should only just do biology or chemistry and other random subjects?
What do you mean I can study the indivual course, like I should only just do biology or chemistry and other random subjects?

I mean at university you could study the degree Biology or study the degree Chemistry, get me?
Reply 4
Original post by arcanum96
I mean at university you could study the degree Biology or study the degree Chemistry, get me?

Oh okay, thank you so much. I understand now. Do you think it's wise to do physics, biology, chemistry and computing rather than psychology?
You wouldn't be able to do physics.
You wouldn't be able to do chemistry at a lot of top unis because they require maths.

Could try biochem.
Oh okay, thank you so much. I understand now. Do you think it's wise to do physics, biology, chemistry and computing rather than psychology?

I find it hard to recommend, ultimately you will be the one studying it for potentially two years so think carefully which one seems to be more interesting and suited for you

A-Levels are changing there is NO AS or A2 anymore just straight A-Level at the end of two years.... so for these subjects you would only need three for Uni there's no 4 as and dropping one.
Reply 8
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You wouldn't be able to do physics.
You wouldn't be able to do chemistry at a lot of top unis because they require maths.

Could try biochem.

I hope to do pharmacy and looking around on websites most want two other sciences if you want to study chemistry and I have biology and physics, I don't think maths is essential rather preferable
I hope to do pharmacy and looking around on websites most want two other sciences if you want to study chemistry and I have biology and physics, I don't think maths is essential rather preferable

Pharmacy is quite a saturated market so beware.
Reply 10
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Pharmacy is quite a saturated market so beware.

Okay, thanks for the warning I guess. I'm gunna try hard these few years.

There's also a Psychology GCSE (AQA&Edexcel) but I just re-read and realised that you know about the changes sorry.... but will colleges allow you to do four now? and why do you want to do four anyway?
Reply 12
Original post by elmosandy
There's also a Psychology GCSE (AQA&Edexcel) but I just re-read and realised that you know about the changes sorry.... but will colleges allow you to do four now? and why do you want to do four anyway?

I dunno, I just want a broader range of subjects. I don't know if I should get into computing or science. However I really have my eye on pharmacy. Don'tuniversity want a fourth subject or does that change now. These changes are leaving me so confused
I dunno, I just want a broader range of subjects. I don't know if I should get into computing or science. However I really have my eye on pharmacy. Don'tuniversity want a fourth subject or does that change now. These changes are leaving me so confused

Not really I don't think... You only need three a-levels at the end of Year13 but AS isn't going to be there anymore so I think you just need three, you can do four if you want but yeah

There will be AS around but this will be a standalone qualification. Doesn't count towards a-level..

I would have suggested that you do Physics,Bio&Chem A-Level and Computing AS then carry on with the rest in Year13

But if you're not sure if you want to get into computing or science then maybe do all four a-levels ( if you do physics,bio&chem a-level and computing as you wouldn't be able to do Computing A2 because there will be no a2 and this computing as won't count towards a computing a-level...)

Quick Reply

Latest