The Student Room Group

Loughborough Uni Life compared to the city

Im currently in my gap year, and im planning on applying to uni for 2015. The course intended is Human Biology and Im having a real problem with whether I apply for Loughborough and have to resit a biology exam to meet the required grades or go to liverpool hope/manc met with my current grades (BBC).

A major problem is that Loughborough is a very small place ive heard and Ive always envisioned myself being in a large city (Liverpool!!). So can anybody help me and tell me what uni life is really like in loughborough comapred to that of living in a city such as Liverpool? I seem to think it will be a but too quiet and I wil end up being 'bored' after so long...
Reply 1
I was thinking of going to Loughborough uni and visited the campus, and I absolutely hated it...the atmosphere was dire and the town looked deserted. I didn't like how isolated the campus felt from the rest of the place. I decided to go to MMU next year. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mandyyy6
I was thinking of going to Loughborough uni and visited the campus, and I absolutely hated it...the atmosphere was dire and the town looked deserted. I didn't like how isolated the campus felt from the rest of the place. I decided to go to MMU next year. hope this helps :smile:

Yeah i also visited the campus last year and I really liked it (it was avery nice day though). My main problem is i never visited the town but ive heard its not very exciting and for me I think living in a city sounds much more attractive as theres a better atmosphere and more things to do, its just kind of the prestige of Loughborough compared to say MMU and Liverpool... Also LOughboroough have won best student experience for six years which I dont understand with it neing in such an isolated area?
Reply 3
Original post by lwhiting3
Yeah i also visited the campus last year and I really liked it (it was avery nice day though). My main problem is i never visited the town but ive heard its not very exciting and for me I think living in a city sounds much more attractive as theres a better atmosphere and more things to do, its just kind of the prestige of Loughborough compared to say MMU and Liverpool... Also LOughboroough have won best student experience for six years which I dont understand with it neing in such an isolated area?

Hmmm, maybe one of the reasons that I didn't enjoy the open day/interview I attended was because of the amount of travelling I had to do in order to get to the university - there's no direct train from where I live so I had to change trains two times and catch a random bus, which took me over three and a half hours. From what I remember, the town is a bit of a trek away from the campus...I'd say about 10/15 minutes (this was my first time being there too so I had to use Google maps on my phone to help me navigate lol). But it was a nice town but my idea of nice might not be your cup of tea as opinions are subjective... And in terms of prestige, I understand your point but in all honesty, it is much more important that you feel comfortable and can see yourself happily living/attending this university for the next three years. I've been to several open days, at RG unis to ex polys to some considered 'lowly' ranked but it's all down to what YOU think of the university and whether it feels right...that's why I turned down the likes of Nottingham and Liverpool and even Manchester uni to go to MMU (i bet people of TSR will be shocked at this) but I chose it because of the course layout, the friendliness and I thought that it was the best one out of all the others. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mandyyy6
Hmmm, maybe one of the reasons that I didn't enjoy the open day/interview I attended was because of the amount of travelling I had to do in order to get to the university - there's no direct train from where I live so I had to change trains two times and catch a random bus, which took me over three and a half hours. From what I remember, the town is a bit of a trek away from the campus...I'd say about 10/15 minutes (this was my first time being there too so I had to use Google maps on my phone to help me navigate lol). But it was a nice town but my idea of nice might not be your cup of tea as opinions are subjective... And in terms of prestige, I understand your point but in all honesty, it is much more important that you feel comfortable and can see yourself happily living/attending this university for the next three years. I've been to several open days, at RG unis to ex polys to some considered 'lowly' ranked but it's all down to what YOU think of the university and whether it feels right...that's why I turned down the likes of Nottingham and Liverpool and even Manchester uni to go to MMU (i bet people of TSR will be shocked at this) but I chose it because of the course layout, the friendliness and I thought that it was the best one out of all the others. :smile:

errr that sounds horrible... Luckily I can drive so its about 2 hours in a car for me! Just a nice town, Ive been told its similar to the town where I live which is only small, I just want things to be going on and plenty of stuff to do and constantly be finding new things, which is what I hope a big city offers. But then again I love the facilities which Loughborough offers. If they picked up Loughborouh and stuck it in Liverpool/Manc that would be perfect!!!

Yeah thats a good point, I think I need to think about more is if I will enjoy living in that place for 3 maybe 4 years.. Yes Im quite shocked but your choice is admirable! I think us as students get too hung up on the prestige of unis and how it iwll look to future employers and that if you dont go to a 'good' uni you wont get a job blah blah blah. Whats important I guess is that one you enjoy your coure and get the best possible degree you can.
Loughborough is amazing. Twas my insurance.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonynous
Loughborough is amazing. Twas my insurance.

Did you go there? whats the student experience like? why is it so good when there isnt much surrounding it??
Did you go there? whats the student experience like? why is it so good when there isnt much surrounding it??

I went to the offer holder day. I ended up going to firm uni. The facilities there are top class. I'm not someone who gives a **** about outside life so it didn't affect my opinion of the uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonynous
I went to the offer holder day. I ended up going to firm uni. The facilities there are top class. I'm not someone who gives a **** about outside life so it didn't affect my opinion of the uni.

Ah ok, yeah I went o an open day last year and the best thing aboutit was the facilities. Fair enough. What was your frim choice may I ask?
Ah ok, yeah I went o an open day last year and the best thing aboutit was the facilities. Fair enough. What was your frim choice may I ask?

Cass Business School, City University
Reply 10
I actually just dropped out of loughborough (I wasn't enjoying my course) but I did love the campus. Yes, the city/town is really small and only have like the basic high street shops and a few nightclubs here and there. I only actually went to the town only a few times as it took 25-30 mins to just walk from accommodation. I guess if you're someone who really loves a big city atmosphere, you would feel a bit let down by Loughborough. I did love the campus (it's massive) and the whole close community feel of it, and the students union does put on a lot of night events and activities.
Reply 11
Original post by jc20
I actually just dropped out of loughborough (I wasn't enjoying my course) but I did love the campus. Yes, the city/town is really small and only have like the basic high street shops and a few nightclubs here and there. I only actually went to the town only a few times as it took 25-30 mins to just walk from accommodation. I guess if you're someone who really loves a big city atmosphere, you would feel a bit let down by Loughborough. I did love the campus (it's massive) and the whole close community feel of it, and the students union does put on a lot of night events and activities.

Ive heard the SU is pretty good and everyone kinda just goes there, and also leicester and nottighma arent far away so if I want that city atmosphere I guess I can always go to those places on nights out etc... Were you staying in halls?
Reply 12
Ive heard the SU is pretty good and everyone kinda just goes there, and also leicester and nottighma arent far away so if I want that city atmosphere I guess I can always go to those places on nights out etc... Were you staying in halls?

Yeah the SU and hall committees does arrange a lot of 'trips' to leicester and nottingham night outs so yeah people always go there. I was staying in halls, Rutherford (catered) and it was pretty much next to the others too.
Reply 13
Oh ok I was thinking id definitely go self catered halls but is there any halls you can reccomend in terms of general 'niceness'? Or are they all the same really?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending