The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

What is UEA like?

I'm going to an applicant day in January because I've been given an unconditional offer for english literature if I make them my firm choice.

Can anyone on here give me any insight into the quality of the accomodation, the library, the staff and the nightlife (clubs/bars). If anyone does english lit I'd be grateful if you could tell me what the course is like, how full the classes are and how you're enjoying it :biggrin:

Sorry for all the question but this unconditional offer has made me really confused about which uni to choose
Apparently its a really good student experience/life
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
you might already have chosen, but... Come here! It's lovely!! Atmosphere is great, library is one of the best uni libraries I've ever seen, and the large amount of modules means that there are never more than 15 in a class - average is 12, but it can be a lot smaller. We all have advisors and the academic staff are pretty great as a whole - student/teacher relationships are pretty relaxed and friendly. :smile: Accommodation standards are high - the Ziggurats (single shared bathrooms) are quirky and sociable, the Village (ensuite) is cosy and community-orientated, and the campus premier accommodation (Nelson, Colman, Britten, Constable etc) is very posh - as good as you'll find anywhere :smile: Prices are fairly decent as well. The city centre has a fair few good clubs including a Union run alternative club (the Waterfront) and a few chain places like Lola Lo's) and also some really decent live music venues, ranging from large gig spaces to pub open mic nights - and then of course the LCR has two club nights a week plus live music every week from big name bands and artists - Passenger was here this week for instance.
The best thing I can suggest is that you come to an Applicant day and have a look around, you'll be able to get much more information!
Reply 3
Original post by HattyG
I'm going to an applicant day in January because I've been given an unconditional offer for english literature if I make them my firm choice.

Can anyone on here give me any insight into the quality of the accomodation, the library, the staff and the nightlife (clubs/bars). If anyone does english lit I'd be grateful if you could tell me what the course is like, how full the classes are and how you're enjoying it :biggrin:

Sorry for all the question but this unconditional offer has made me really confused about which uni to choose

No offence but how did you get an unconditional offer to read english lit when you can't spell accommodation? :colondollar: I'm only pulling your leg, and it may have been a typo, but it's a good idea to run everything through a spellcheck first, and a good way of learning too!
Reply 4
I feel I should have given you a more helpful response than that so here goes:

There is a range of accommodation available to suit different budgets. Mine was a spacious modern en-suite room in Constable Terrace (pictured). 10 people in my flat and we shared a kitchen.

If you want to spend less you have the option of halls with shared bathrooms such as Norfolk and Suffolk Terraces.

The library has everything you would expect. It's not 15th century gothic like Oxbridge, but this is not a 15th century university. My subject mainly required me to cite cutting edge academic journal articles (available online) so I hardly ever needed to check out a print book from the library (lit will probably be different).

Academics are great, and particularly so in the School of Literature. Faculty members include Giles Foden, author of The Last King of Scotland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Foden). The School of Literature has an outstanding reputation and alumni include 3 Booker Prize winners and 11 Costa Book Award winning novelists.

Nightlife and student bars are amazing! There is something going on almost every night and lots of world famous artists drop in to perform.

Good luck with your choices.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending