The Student Room Group

Did I mess up my personal statement?

I am applying for Law.

I wrote down my own opinion on abortion. Is that wrong?
Uh, probably...

Was it at all relevant to the over-all message of your PS? :erm:
Biased views and it doesn't really give a good impression on the reader, personal stuff should be left out unless you achieved something worth mentioning.
Reply 3
Original post by Black Cat
Biased views and it doesn't really give a good impression on the reader, personal stuff should be left out unless you achieved something worth mentioning.

Ok, i'll find a way to keep my overall message without mentioning it.

Original post by Freudian Slip
Uh, probably...

Was it at all relevant to the over-all message of your PS? :erm:

Yeah it was but I'm going to try and get rid of it.
Popped this in the Personal Statement advice forum for you :h:
Pretty much everything that you mention should be related to law and why it interests you. It's not for you to come across as opinionated in any way. If you are giving your opinion, it should be backed up and it should relate to why you are interested in law. Remember that an undergrad degree is an academic course and is not there to make you a 'lawyer' - you need further study for that. Law is not vocational, not like teaching or medicine for example
I applied for law too !

Did you write down why you want to study law other than dazzling them with your abortion views ?
Original post by Da Di Doo
I am applying for Law.

I wrote down my own opinion on abortion. Is that wrong?

Eh i wouldnt write that..personally!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
Eh i wouldnt write that..personally!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I changed it now.

Original post by *Interrobang*
Pretty much everything that you mention should be related to law and why it interests you. It's not for you to come across as opinionated in any way. If you are giving your opinion, it should be backed up and it should relate to why you are interested in law. Remember that an undergrad degree is an academic course and is not there to make you a 'lawyer' - you need further study for that. Law is not vocational, not like teaching or medicine for example

I didn't mention me wanting to be a lawyer because I want to end up working in a bank.

Yeah I took out my opinion on abortion now. I only put it in because I was talking about controversial topics in law and listed abortion as an example. That's when I put my opinion in but yeah, now I've deleted that part.
Reply 9
Original post by superduperweirdo
I applied for law too !

Did you write down why you want to study law other than dazzling them with your abortion views ?

Obviously not.
If your bit on abortion comes over as irrational polemic, your application will go straight onto the No pile.
To read law you need to be calmly analytical and be able to consider conflicting points of view. That is what your PS should make clear, not your views on abortion.

If you want to sound-off about social issues then consider applying for Social Policy instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending