The Student Room Group

Things they don't teach in schools (but probably should!)

I was thinking, there are tonnes of skills in life I've had to teach myself, which could (and probably should) have been covered briefly at school. Or at least, it would have been helpful.

What do you think schools don't teach but should?

My two are:

Cleaning an oven properly

Growing tomatoes

Scroll to see replies

Schools should teach kids to learn about things individually and stop being so dependent on being spoon-fed information in a class-based environment
How taxes and national insurance work.
How parliament, elections and the government all work should be taught in late primary school or early secondary school I think. So they all get at least a basic understanding of politics.

They should also be taught much more about the environment and British countryside, including a lot more school trips.
Proper practical life skills such as finance, how to cook properly, how to do household chores, essay writing, better careers advice, better healthy lifestyle advice e.t.c
Reply 5

the correct use of apostrophes

humour / wit

people skills

dress sense / style

programming

mind sports

football tactics and football statistics

Original post by myblueheaven339

I have to admit that might have been a bit useful to learn at school
Reply 7
Politics
Reply 8
How to use public toilets properly.
Original post by llys

the correct use of apostrophes

humour / wit

people skills

dress sense / style

programming

mind sports

football tactics and football statistics

Im not sure i agree with those 2.
With the dress sense and style, everyone has their own dress style etc. No one else should be able to change that.
And how does learning about football help people in life.
How to manage your finance
Politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Bus etiquette.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vionar
Bus etiquette.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I know why:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by lubsjk
How to use public toilets properly.

Whole-heartedly agree with that.

Original post by Emma:-)
Im not sure i agree with those 2.
With the dress sense and style, everyone has their own dress style etc. No one else should be able to change that.
And how does learning about football help people in life.

I meant more like which colours suit you, how to choose what to wear and stuff like that. To this day I have no idea if what I wear actually suits me. Probably not though.

Football is a (quite complex) national sport, that should be justification enough, if any is needed (though I suspect the OP doesn't need any). I also suspect teaching football tactics properly has similar benefits to chess etc.
Reply 14
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Haha I know why:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some of them really don't know how to act :grumble:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Reply 16
Difference between their, there and they're
They should teach more basic human body stuff. Every person should know how to refer to their body. Its shocking how little medicine and anatomy is taught to people. How can you expect to go through life without knowing your body?

It'd be nice if they taught people how to recognize emergency illnesses in school rather than have them posted on billboards or on a pamphlet at a gp surgery. They complain about symptom to hospital time for things like strokes and heart attacks, I think teaching this stuff in school will reduce that time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by myblueheaven339

THIS. Yes! Totally agree with you!
Original post by Okorange
They should teach more basic human body stuff. Every person should know how to refer to their body. Its shocking how little medicine and anatomy is taught to people. How can you expect to go through life without knowing your body?

Especially as GPs tend to be so pants these days. Mine has told me all kinds of wild stories recently! But thankfully most of my friends are doctors.

Quick Reply

Latest