The Student Room Group

Lets talk about sex..

What are peoples thoughts about universities promoting sex in freshers week?

Scroll to see replies

Sex is immoral and wrong, and freshers are the biggest sinners of all. An eternity in hellfire for a weeks worth of debauchery!
I think it's okay as long as people stay safe. Just because something is being promoted doesn't mean that every single person is gonna do it.
I only hate because I can't have sex till I'm married.
Reply 4
If you mean the general sex-obsessed culture at university then it's not just freshers week, although I admit there's certain reputations for people going "mad" in freshers week in particular. However, in my experience and knowledge, most people I know had way more sex in general throughout the year rather than just freshers week.

As for the question, my thoughts are that I don't think sex is promoted that much. It's talked about, joked about, implicitly implied that it's heightened at uni and that's what everyone does etc, but I'm not sure I'd use the word promoted? Who exactly is meant to be promoting it? If people want to have flings, sex buddies and one night stands at university, fine by me. No babies and no stds flying around and I'm good.
Original post by Anonynous
I only hate because I can't have sex till I'm married.

lol sucks to be u
I think more sex should be promoted. I certainly would've got my wick more wetter if I was single during freshers.
Original post by Snagprophet
I think more sex should be promoted. I certainly would've got my wick more wetter if I was single during freshers.

What was it like being in a relationship at the start of uni?
Original post by (Patrick)
What was it like being in a relationship at the start of uni?

It wasn't bad, you can have fun and it's not about sex all the time. The only problem for me was it ended right at the end of the first year so I was like 'I could've been doing these other people' etc.
Original post by Neosha

What do you mean by 'promoting sex'....?
Original post by Snagprophet

Punny
Well mentioned or not people will ****. Just promote safe sex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by arson_fire
Promoting safe sex, or promoting sex as in "it`s freshers week get screwing!"?

Both I mean because some uni's give condoms on the week pack, and set up events to encourage sexual conquests.
Reply 13
Original post by Neosha

What I mean by this is that some uni's give condoms on the week pack, and set up events to encourage sexual conquests.
I dont think its promoted!!! I think its talked about sure, and I think in the context of safe sex its a good thing. Loads of teens away from home for the first time, mixing with new people, bit of alcohol.....people WILL have sex, there is no getting away from that. I think its totally sensible of unis to accept that this happens, so to get out there with free condoms and advice is the most responsible way to address it. Bravo!
I think universities should make it compulsory to have sex during freshers week , so that nobody gets left out.
Original post by Neosha
What I mean by this is that some uni's give condoms on the week pack, and set up events to encourage sexual conquests.

Wow - I've never seen events encouraging sexual conquest. :s-smilie:

But promoting safe sex by talking about it and handing out condoms is a good thing IMHO.
Such a pathetic state of affairs. Universities is about Education and Professional Development. Not a count of how many caves you plundered or how many cars you've parked.

Shame on all who looks forward to university for sex.
My friend just started uni and got given loads of condoms and it sounded like they gave more to girls than guys..
They don't need to 'promote' it because freshers week is already associated with sex.

Quick Reply

Latest