The Student Room Group

Feminist video game critic cancels lecture after threat

‘Gamergate’: Feminist video game critic Anita Sarkeesian cancels Utah lecture after threat

Feminist media critic Anita Sarkeesian was forced to cancel a talk that would have taken place tonight at Utah State University after the university received a terror threat from someone claiming they would commit “the deadliest school shooting in American history” if Sarkeesian gave her lecture.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/15/gamergate-feminist-video-game-critic-anita-sarkeesian-cancels-utah-lecture-after-threat-citing-police-inability-to-prevent-concealed-weapons-at-event/

Looks like somebody's looking up to Tommy Vercetti. :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

It's worth noting that despite the fact the security for the event was satisfied with speaker's and audience's safety and saw no evidence of any imminent attack she didn't do it anyway. She also is doing the worst thing for taking death threats. So many famous people get death threats. Pretty much all of them are complete nonsense but you never hear about it because the common sense thing is to not publicly reveal it. Why give someone the satisfaction they stopped an event anonymously?

I also think Anita Sarkeesian needs to debate with people rather than just speaking alone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Lol this woman just knows to play the media to get people on her side :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Snagprophet
...Why give someone the satisfaction they stopped an event anonymously?

I also think Anita Sarkeesian needs to debate with people rather than just speaking alone.

Americans experienced many school shooting so i think an anonymous email was enough to make them freaked out.

I agree.I am a female gamer, not feminist but i think feminists should stand for much more solid issues.In most cases gamers are peaceful, mentally healthy people who are aware of that video games are just video games.
Original post by geneticist
I agree.I am a female gamer, not feminist but i think feminists should stand for much more solid issues.In most cases gamers are peaceful, mentally healthy people who are aware of that video games are just video games.

Well even feminists are divided on this issue. Some think games influence people, others think they don't.
It's worth noting that despite the fact the security for the event was satisfied with speaker's and audience's safety and saw no evidence of any imminent attack she didn't do it anyway. She also is doing the worst thing for taking death threats. So many famous people get death threats. Pretty much all of them are complete nonsense but you never hear about it because the common sense thing is to not publicly reveal it. Why give someone the satisfaction they stopped an event anonymously?

It's one thing to ignore death threats against yourself, its another thing to ignore death threats made at other people.

I agree with your debating point though, she comes up with really bad examples to get her point across. Her point may be valid but she has a knack for picking the worst examples of it.
Did somebody say utah? Why don't I know about this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feminist game critic? get a life woman.
Reply 8
Original post by Yeah dude
Did somebody say utah? Why don't I know about this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you go to that university by any chance?
Do you go to that university by any chance?

Which university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
Which university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Utah state university.
Utah state university.

No I don't, I know people who do though

Posted from TSR Mobile
The question is, who sent this death threat and why? Do they have a political or social motive for doing this, or are they just a basement troll with nothing better to do who has no respect for anyone.
It's worth noting that she's going to piss off more people now after this tweet'

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/525793436025118721

Yes, some people are actually blaming the way men are raised in general over the mental illness suffered by most shooters. It was also the Sandy Hook killer's mother who was a gun nut with raised her son poorly.
Reply 14
Good

Anita Sarkeesian pimps her threats - that's why. She relies on the 'harassment', 'threats' and 'misogyny' for publicity and her professional victim routine.

She even publicly announced her having to "flee her home" due to alleged threats made against her - something the police and FBI explicitly recommend you don't do. She's an attention whore, through and through.
It's worth noting that she's going to piss off more people now after this tweet'

Yes, some people are actually blaming the way men are raised in general over the mental illness suffered by most shooters. It was also the Sandy Hook killer's mother who was a gun nut with raised her son poorly.

Well I just lost any sympathy for her.

Oh lord, that tweet is so childish.It's like "MEN ARE EVIL!"
Original post by TheBBQ
Looks like she belongs on facialabuse

There's been a mini-game made which you can click and it punches a fist onto a picture of her and it slowly becomes more bruised.
Well even feminists are divided on this issue. Some think games influence people, others think they don't.

Yeah, funny how a diverse group of people isn't a hivemind, isn't it :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending