The Student Room Group

Philosophy or Sociology?

I need to choose what 4 A levels to do for the college I am attending. At the moment I've chosen Graphic design, Media studies, Psychology and I'm not sure about my 4th subject. I'm thinking something more academic however I did Psychology GCSE which helps so. For those that have taken Philosophy/Sociology, is there a lot of studies to remember? That's the thing I am worried about. In what aspect is philosophy hard? (I've heard that it's hard) Because as I'm doing psychology I don't want to get things like theories and studies mixed up.
Reply 1
Philosophy is definitely more academic than sociology! I did 'RS and philosophy' which was pretty tricky - once you get your head round the concepts, and can form an opinion on them, it's not too bad if you understand the essay technique required for the exam. It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed the debates we had as a class :smile:

I didn't do sociology, but at my school it was advised not not combine sociology with psych because they were quite similar - but I think that largely depends on the exam boards your school does.

I did psyh, and there was a large amount of learning case studies as well as evaluating them, which I didn't really enjoy - I found the theories interesting but the case studies didn't really interest me. The exam technique is also quite tricky especially for AS, I found.

I don't know what field you want to go into, or whether you want to go to uni, but I'd advise you to be aware that media studies, graphic design and sociology are considered 'soft' subjects by certain universities. Psychology is usually seen as a 'social science', so not a soft subject but not a hugely academic one either. Philosophy is slightly trickier but it does give you the advantage of having one more academic subject, which may help you when applying for university if that's what you want to do.

Overall, though, it's your decision and you need to pick the subjects you think you will enjoy the most, and think you can achieve good grades in. Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ah thank you! I understand that they're considered as soft subjects, that's why I'm considering something more challenging to go along with it. Also I'm not sure if I want to go university so it doesn't bother me if they're ''soft'' subjects. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest